Violin Methods Master Thesis

March 31, 2018, 1:47 PM · Dear Violinists,

I'm a Master student in Education of Music and I would like to write my research about violin methods for beginners. Besides Suzuki do you know some pedagogue who wrote a method (book+writting) which you find interesting to study deeply?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Mara

Replies (4)

March 31, 2018, 2:03 PM · Leopold Auer wrote a book and a graded series.

Samuel Applebaum wrote loads of pedagogical materials that were very popular in the 1960s and 1970s.

Erich Doflein and the Doflein method

Kurt Sassmannshaus

Those are just off the top of my head.

Oh! Maya Bang

You could go to imslp.com and look up violin methods.

March 31, 2018, 2:32 PM · If you are interested in less mainstream pedagogy, you should look into the methods by Paul Rolland and Mark O'Connor (though O'Connor didn't make many friends here with his bizarre attack on the Suzuki method).
March 31, 2018, 4:48 PM · Sounds fascinating.
Do you have "metrics' for comparison?
Would Simon Fischer's "The Violin Lesson" fit in there somewhere?
Where do "beginners" end?
April 1, 2018, 12:36 PM · The biggest difference was not mentioned; private lessons vs. class methods. The class methods need to have integrated violin-viola-cello-bass studies. In addition to the Applebaum series, there is the Ralph Matesky series that was at one time approved for use in Cal. public schools. Suzuki works for the very young because it bypasses the notation system for awhile; using the the ancient method of learning by imitation. Mark O'Connors' series would be good for those that want to do a fiddle tradition. For slightly older students I like to use the Doflein books. The first two Auer books will be frustrating for most young beginners.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases