Different string wrappings.

March 28, 2018, 9:14 AM · There are three different Spirocore C Strings, Silver, Chrome, and Tungsten wound. Can anyone clarify the difference. Between the tone of the three? The tension is the same on all three.

From my experience on violin silver compared to aluminum ends up being a skinnier string with a warmer tone usually.

Replies (2)

March 28, 2018, 1:20 PM · Speaking for cellists: the density of tungsten (W = "Wolfram") is almost twice that of silver so you get a thinner, more responsive string with tungsten. I prefer the Spirocore tungsten C string to most I have tried. Of course the tungsten strings are more expensive. I have not liked the chrome wound strings.

For viola - I have tried a complete set of Spirocore strings on my violas. One sucked the other was good (still has that set - almost 20 years after installing (yeah! That's not the viola I play regularly).

March 28, 2018, 9:45 PM · These are generalizations from trying these on a few different violas...

The silver C is much thicker than the tungsten C and has a warmer sound and slightly slower response than the other two.

The chrome C is brighter and responds a bit faster than the silver C, and is probably about as thick as the silver C.

The tungsten C is much thinner than the other two and has more of an edge than either.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases