Good Experience with Corilon

March 27, 2018, 10:52 AM · I have several instruments but found the violin market, to put it gently, bewildering. For an intermediate to advanced student I suppose there are the Chinese, but I may not be alone in my queasiness about the labor conditions there. I didn’t want the violin equivalent of a blood diamond. Retailers in my area, well, it seemed beneath them to even discuss anything under five figures, and while Brompton looked enticing, still a pig in a poke. Ebay? Ebay is a cesspool of fake.
Buying new seems to mean resigning yourself to a long break-in period.
Corilon was great to me.
Corilon has the sound samples with a consistent piece of music and recording environment. Their photos are also great for comparison since they seem to use a consistent setup. Their pictures are a little brighter than the real thing (think of them as stage-lit). But the photos they had and the sound sample they had were of the instrument I got.
It is so comforting to find someone I could trust in the purchase of an older instrument. I had initially inquired about another one, but Dr. Roeben quashed that idea, saying she didn’t like that one and recommended four others. The Mirecourt one I chose is both loud and beautiful in tone. The workmanship and condition were excellent, for a Scott Cao 950 price. Expertly packed, and 2 weeks to Boston.
She really is a bright island in a miasmic market.

Replies (32)

March 27, 2018, 12:32 PM · Great to hear. Great option if there's no shops near your home.
March 27, 2018, 12:42 PM · Though note that the OP said he's in Boston, which is a city that has abundant shops, including Johnson, which carries student-range violins, including older restored violins.
Edited: March 27, 2018, 5:27 PM · Scott, no need to give them free advertising here. They are listed as sponsors and just a click away.
March 27, 2018, 7:18 PM · Great to hear! Thanks for the review.
Edited: March 27, 2018, 9:28 PM · Hmmmm....pretty sure Corilon carries Chinese made violins.

Also I think it is more than a bit of a stretch to compare Chinese violins with blood diamonds. Here's another violin shop that advertises modestly priced violins (low to mid four figures) from China while checking on the working conditions there: https://www.johnsonstring.com/catalog/shopmade-violins/ Oddly enough, Johnson Violins appears to be within an easy drive of Boston.

March 27, 2018, 11:50 PM · AH pretty sure Corilon does not carry New violins, Chinese or otherwise!!
March 28, 2018, 6:26 AM · My error; I was looking at this page: https://www.corilon.com/shop/en/info/china-violin-makers.html

At any rate, it seems to me that advertising should remain on the advertising pages.

March 28, 2018, 8:47 AM · On second look, new member who joined just to post this "review", untruths about his actual local market, and it really does look like ad copy.

Laurie, I suggest that you have a word with Corilon about this. They buy advertising on the site, and it does them and your readers no favors for them to leave shill copy (whether they wrote it directly or paid someone to author it) on the site.

March 28, 2018, 10:00 AM · I didn't interpret this as an ad and more as an experience to discuss, though it could very well be an ad. I'm not totally sure.
Edited: March 28, 2018, 1:54 PM · Sorry you thought it was an ad. I was just happy after getting snubbed and lied to elsewhere. And, I haunted a shop near symphony that was just too rich for my blood. Shouldn't generalize a whole city from that, you're right. But I really do not like Chinese labor practices and do not want my money going that way. I haven't heard much about violins in particular, but other industries. I didn't get paid. Just a consumer. I used the site for research but didn't have a reason to post until now. I first posted about planar pegs slipping. If you want me to delete it I will.
March 28, 2018, 2:58 PM · You say that you don't like Chinese labor practices, but a Cao 950 is made in China and varnished and set-up in the USA.

So, how does a violin in the white, made in China, finished in the USA, not contribute to the Chinese labor practices that you dislike?

March 28, 2018, 4:01 PM · he didn't say anything about owning a Scoot Cao.
March 28, 2018, 4:06 PM · In my original post, I was trying to say that I paid no more than a Scott Cao but got a contemporary Mirecourt French violin, made by people who make a living wage under decent conditions, and that this matters to me. You seem to think I said something else. Please reread the original post. https://phonotheque.hypotheses.org/nouveaux-luthiers
March 28, 2018, 4:24 PM · My apologies. I obviously can not read!
March 28, 2018, 4:33 PM · not that Mirecourt workers in 1900 got a living wage???
March 28, 2018, 7:21 PM · Well the OP lost me with the Chinese violins/blood diamonds comparison. There is a huge difference between suboptimal working conditions and diamonds that are financing wars and death. And at least some U.S. retailers do pay attention to the working conditions at the Chinese workshops providing their instruments. Not to mention the hyperbole about dealers refusing to discuss violins under five figures. Come on. Even my significantly-smaller-than-Boston city has several violin shops that do much of their business in the student violin, four figures range.

I'm glad the OP found a violin he's happy with. But "miasmic market?" That's neither accurate nor fair.

March 28, 2018, 9:35 PM · Maybe you would be interested in building violins 60 hrs a week for $1/hr in China.
March 28, 2018, 9:52 PM · I find it disrespectful that some of the folks on this site so readily pounce on people who post reviews.

I wouldn’t usually comment on something like this, but it’s simply unkind.

If you give the person who posts the review the benefit of the doubt and re-read this thread, you will probably see my point.

And isn’t it the moderator’s job to handle advertisers in disguise?

March 29, 2018, 9:06 AM · When I read Scott Davis's post yesterday I thought he had had a great experience with Corrilion in the the purchase of his violin and just wanted to share his enthusiasm and excitement.

Welcome to Violinist .com Scott Davis!

March 29, 2018, 9:40 AM · I do not think that Corilon would need that kind of advertising since they are already listed on the right side. I am not 100% sure that this is an add and it seems as if anybody posting something about their experience with a certain dealer could be treated as an add in disguise. Sometimes its obvious, some other times it's not. Truth is we need reviews.

When I first visited the Corilon website some years ago I was also amazed of the consistent presentation of all the instruments.

Anyway, Scott, welcome to violinist . com and enjoy your new instrument. Got any pics by the way? :)

March 29, 2018, 10:44 AM · My initial read of the original post was that it wasn't ad copy in disguise, but I read it more closely after other posters seemed to assume it was someone posting a paid review, and I can see why they thought it was spammy.

I'm certainly all for people posting real reviews.

March 29, 2018, 1:34 PM · Hermes Papakonstantinou, thanks for asking. I altered my profile pic to be the instrument. I didn't how I could add pictures to a discussion. I have others if you know how. And, Jeff Jetson, thanks for the welcome. And Andrew Holland, I've been around artistic types so that I know, however incongruous it may seem, that not all of those who create beauty are nice people. You would think the art would uplift them. I don't know why it doesn't work that way sometimes.
March 29, 2018, 1:58 PM · @ Scott, I don't know if there is another way, but you can upload them in another website and then post the link here in the conversation
March 29, 2018, 3:32 PM · Scott, your violin looks kinda nice! The case is quite different too.
March 30, 2018, 11:16 AM · Jeff Jetson: It's a 1992 Alain Moinier and the case is a Tonareli. FYI.
Edited: March 31, 2018, 2:25 AM · here's an example of the wonderful system you're supporting when you buy Chinese!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-31/chinas-social-credit-system-punishes-untrustworthy-citizens/9596204

April 1, 2018, 12:26 PM · Honestly, why is this even a post?
And as others said, there are a whole bunch of violin shops here in Boston. I live pretty close by, and there are more than enough because there are a couple music colleges here. Why order one online when you can try it in person? Seems sketchy to me.
April 1, 2018, 6:58 PM · Maybe he doesn't want to buy Chinese, that's what most of the Boston shops sell in that price range.
April 1, 2018, 10:57 PM · I was curious what a "contemporary Mirecourt French violin" is, and when I looked it up one of the first hits was Corilon. So what is it? Are they contemporary French, factory made violins? I also saw the same link as Mary Ellen--is that their website? It sure looks like they also sell contemporary violins from China.
Edited: April 1, 2018, 11:41 PM · I don’t see anything from China?

Can you post a link?

April 2, 2018, 5:34 AM · https://www.corilon.com/shop/en/info/china-violin-makers.html

Do they sell them? I don't know. They at least seem similarly ambivalent about industrial violin production and impressed by some violins from China and Taiwan.

I'd just be surprised if the OP here found a contemporary handmade instrument from a highly developed country for a few thousand dollars. That's what I would take "contemporary Mirecourt French violin" to mean. It may, however, be that this means a Chinese factory violin set-up in France, or an Eastern European violin set up in a French style, or something else. Does the OP know? Anyone else?

April 2, 2018, 6:37 AM · agreed

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases