ESM vs Manhattan vs Mannes

Edited: March 27, 2018, 4:04 AM · What are the pros and cons of Eastman, Mannes and Manhattan for an undergrad violinist? Is there a school better than the others and what would you recommend? Honest opinions please :)

Thanks heaps!

Replies (14)

Edited: March 27, 2018, 8:32 AM · I've known fine musicians who have attended all three. I think it really comes mostly down to your studio teacher and whether or not you want to live and study in NYC. There is also the question of finances: can you afford NYC if you don't get $$?

Lastly (but still important), some schools have better facilities than others, something which maybe others can attest to concerning these schools. I've been to schools with nice practice rooms--after all you do spend much of your life in them--and some with ratty, dimly-lit caves with terrible pianos and various body fluids on the walls. Although it might have changed, many years ago I visited SUNY Stonybrook and noted the general rattiness of its facilities. Some schools might have their orchestras rehearse in dimly-lit, poor-sounding and overheated rehearsal rooms. Week after week of having to be in old, poor facilities can take a toll on morale in spite of the prestige of the institution.

March 27, 2018, 8:46 AM · I agree with Scott. While not a music major, I was in the fine arts and chose a school with better facilities over the one that gave me scholarship $. I would also take a look at what kind of "work" the students of these schools produce and choose the one that you most aspire to (meaning: pick the school with the teachers that resonate with you). Visit all of the schools so you can gauge them for yourself.
March 27, 2018, 10:21 AM · The importance of the teacher-student relationship cannot be emphasized enough.

The name of the school, the facilities, the community, etc...yes they are all important. However, the person that will not only develop your playing and prepare you for your career but also provide your networking into the world of music, should be the primary concern. While other subjects like computer science and engineering generally don't see this level of involvement of a faculty member with a specific student until later in their academic journey, in instrumental music you are basically joined at the hip from the get-go.

Edited: March 27, 2018, 3:25 PM · Hi Alison, I was accepted to the Mannes School of Music in 2015 and went for 1 year before injuring myself. I can tell you from my experience that Mannes is a great school. First of all, every class I took you have amazing personal attention. The class sizes were so small that it was basically having a private lesson. Being in the Greenwich Village is a big plus too. There are so many opportunities there. I had the opportunity to play on the Jimmy Kimmel Show when he was in Brooklyn, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center and around the city. I think this is one of the biggest things to think about, what opportunities you'll have around you.

However that being said, a lot of it comes down to the teacher. I took from Aaron Rosand my year there, and he was amazing.

The facilities at Mannes are probably some of the best in the world. They just moved downtown and have a whole new building. The practice rooms are state of the art.

March 27, 2018, 4:00 PM · Thank you for everyone's reply!
I got accepted into all three to my first preference studio, so I'm having a difficult time choosing!
So are there anything that sets each school apart from each other? Thanks again!
March 27, 2018, 7:04 PM · You have until May 1st, right? Email each professor whose studio you got into and ask for a trial lesson. They'll be used to requests like this. You can also ask if they can put you into contact with one of their current students who can answer your questions about the school.
March 27, 2018, 9:30 PM · Yeah I agree with Irene, you've got time to check things out thoroughly. It'll be worth the expense. And by the way congratulations on your success so far. I hope it continues and that you can reach your full potential as a violinist and whatever else is at the horizon of your dreams.
March 27, 2018, 9:30 PM · Congratulations on your acceptances!

At this point, unless scholarships will make a big difference, the decision is 100% about the teacher. I agree with Irene's advice.

March 28, 2018, 1:42 AM · Thank you, that really helps!
As I am an international student, I am less knowledgeable about teachers! I would love to know what people think of Lucie Robert (MSM), Krysa Oleh (ESM) and Mikhail Kopelman (ESM)?
March 28, 2018, 6:30 AM · I don't know anything about any of them as teachers but I knew Lucie Robert at Indiana when we were both students there. Holy smokes am I old.

Maybe there are people here who can speak to their teaching. In your shoes I would also be trying hard to find discussion anywhere on social media that includes their current students. If you're an international student, does that mean that the idea of taking a trial lesson with each before you make your decision is cost-prohibitive?

March 28, 2018, 8:41 AM · Also worth finding out how much time these teachers spend at these campuses -- i.e., will you actually get weekly lessons with them, or will you mostly be taught by their assistant?
Edited: March 28, 2018, 7:26 PM · Hi Alison, I had one lesson with Lucie Robert when I was deciding between Manhattan and Mannes. She is very good! She has many great students. One of her students was in the Menuhin Competition when I was at Mannes.

I know many of the Mannes teachers also teach at Juilliard and Manhattan. Most of them teach at all three.

However, if you take from Aaron Rosand, as I did at Mannes, he teaches in Connecticut. The only downside is the commute to get up there, but it is not bad at all. You will be taught by him and his assistant Christina Khimm. Ms. Khimm will break things down for you and work on little details. Mr. Rosand is big picture. Working together with them will increase your playing ability exponentially. Mr. Rosand also teaches at Curtis and has some of the best students in the world today.

Taking the train up to his house in Connecticut is very easy. Just go to Grand Central and then a 30 min train ride to his house.

If you receive a scholarship, ask for more. I did and received twice as much

March 29, 2018, 3:53 PM · I did my undergraduate studies at Eastman with Mikhail Kopelman, feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions. I also have many friends who studied with Oleh Krysa, Aaron Rosand, and Lucie Robert. They are all fantastic teachers at wonderful schools. You cannot go wrong with any of them.
March 31, 2018, 6:20 PM · Hi Brian
I would love to contact you about your thoughts but it doesn't seem to be working? Do you mind contacting me first or your email?
Thanks heaps!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases