What makes you happy in violin world?

March 23, 2018, 2:13 AM · Hi,

I just brought my violin from luthier yesterday and it was amazing. I have great sound, much improvement, better look and I feel happy. So I need to share it :)

I was looking for more rounded, honeyish sound on my violin, so I was trying many strings. At least I gave my instrument (100 years old violin) to luthier. He changed pegs, tailpiece (for wooden - someone used wittner composite on this instrument before I bought it). And he lowered bridge and made a few changes. And wow.

My sound is perfect now :) I am so happy. I have a comparison before-after, so I finally changed my strings to Warchal Amethyst which I would love to try. So I am looking forward to weekend.

What made you violin-happy last time?

Shabbat shalom to world

M.

Replies (24)

March 23, 2018, 3:19 AM · New strings are a joy.
March 23, 2018, 3:20 AM · and new bow hair.
March 23, 2018, 4:23 AM · I agree with Martin - getting your instrument back from the luthier after a "service check" and adjustment is great. You post reminds me that it is too long ago now...
But more than that it is playing chamber music with people I click with that makes me happy.
March 23, 2018, 1:12 PM · I have to pinch myself every time I see the repertoire I get to play. Completing my personal Beethoven symphonic cycle a little over a year ago. Chamber music by Schubert, Brahms, and Dohnanyi last summer. Strauss's Don Quixote tomorrow. Being in line to play a Beethoven symphony as principal violist for the first time this fall. And recently, coming full circle and realizing I was ready to start learning the Walton viola concerto, the first concerto for any string instrument I ever heard live and the piece that made me want to take up the viola in the first place.

I never really expected to get this far after being told repeatedly that I was too old to learn a string instrument.

March 23, 2018, 1:54 PM · Simple, I can make music myself. I can pass along what I have learned and perhaps the joy of simply making music. Add to that the universe opened up with all kinds of great musicians and we all share the joy.
March 23, 2018, 3:06 PM · Hearing someone perform on a violin that I've made. There's nothing like it.
March 23, 2018, 4:10 PM · Feeling more connected to my violin by removing the shoulder rest and chin rest. Now I find myself searching for the centre of every note with a sensation of bliss. I would compare it to the difference between driving a car and riding a motorcycle. Both will get you to the same destination, but the journey is incomparable.
Edited: March 23, 2018, 5:51 PM · My luthier taking my old (as in, somewhere in mid-18th c) violin back to close to its original setup, with all gut strings, and no CR or SR. A vast improvement that is a joy to play. Played it tonight in a chamber orchestra concert, the last one with us by our conductor Dennis Simons who is leaving us after 4 years, unfortunately.
Edited: March 24, 2018, 10:40 AM · Every time I have the total focus during practise, a lesson or performance, I'm violin-happy. I also get super excited when I have an Aha moment. These are the moments I would feel so strongly that I desperately wanted to share but the subtlety of these revelations is often very hard to convey to another person, as it takes certain readiness for someone else to receive it. So during these moments, I would just feel amazed and thankful for the privilege of knowing something that is so cool and not easily accessible.
March 24, 2018, 11:15 AM · When I was in conservatory, the happiest thing was finishing an etude then turning to another new one, until piles of pieces done.
March 24, 2018, 2:26 PM · Playing the Swan like Joshua Bell (okay, that's exaggerated).
But also, concerts make me really happy. Competitions make me so excited and I love playing for an audience who actually wanted to hear me play.
March 24, 2018, 4:03 PM · Top 5 of what makes me happy in the violin world which is nearly 24/7, in no particular order:

Pairing an instrument with a happy client that I've worked on with a luthier in commissioning. Also assisting those with needs for an instrument and being successful with it.

Performing in orchestra where everyone was on the same page locked in and having a profound audience reaction to it

Playing chamber music and solo concerts where from beginning to end one is lost in the music and nothing else gets in the way of the music world.

Seeing results of my own practice or work from a student succeed in concert, competition/audition, or festival, and seeing the results of the hard work or teaching reflect well in performance.

Connecting with students & families, musical colleagues, luthiers, dealers, collectors, and music audiences in making the world a more enjoyable place.

March 24, 2018, 4:39 PM · The fragrance of Benzoe in the first weeks / months when my violin returns from my luthier's workshop. Every day when I'm on my way back home and almost cannot wait to get there, opening the case, playing the first few warming up bow strokes...
March 25, 2018, 5:48 AM · Welcome Nina!
March 25, 2018, 6:39 AM · When I find a new fingering that solves a plaguing problem
March 25, 2018, 11:39 AM · Just bought a violin. Compared to $600 and $700 violins I’ve played, I have a $1,500 instrument that I love!
March 25, 2018, 8:56 PM · What gives me joy, in my violin world, is repairing a bad crack on an old violin, and doing it so well, it can hardly be seen.
And assembling the violin, setting it up to play, and hearing it sing for the first time in many years.
Those are the things in my violin world, that make me smile.
March 25, 2018, 11:56 PM · Great responses and feelings from everyone. I love violin world :) It is one of the most intensive heart and joy feelings :)
Edited: March 26, 2018, 9:51 AM · When my work pays off. When Im aware that something that was unrealisable becomes closer to being realised.
March 26, 2018, 12:34 PM · Being able to make the audience connect to the music and experience it with me. Being able to play at weddings and funerals and see how much it means to the families. They truly appreciate all the hard work that's put into it.
Edited: March 26, 2018, 1:56 PM · I was tired tonight and didn't feel much for a practice session. So I read this discussion topic for motivation and picked up my violin. I just worked on a bit of scales, an etude and then tried some improv what I want to learn. And now I am relaxed and happy. Don't know why exactly but I just love playing my violin!
April 5, 2018, 10:04 PM · M Snellen: me too, me too, just hapiness
April 6, 2018, 4:27 AM · being in the zone over a 12 bar with a full tilt bar band behind me
April 9, 2018, 11:17 AM · @Martin Podhola

I am glad you have found a violin you can truly love to play! I am not to the place where I have found violin joy yet. Warchal strings? Do you think the strings made this much of a difference? You might save some of us hours of time and a lot of money looking for the perfect or at least a good setup.The improvements seem to be less about the instruments body and more about the external improvements.

I hear you say a lower bridge. This would maybe make it easier to play. Does this affect the tone as well? Maybe the pegs were not wood before?
I wonder if the luthier moved the sound post?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases