Electric Bridge Aquila Dragon Violin with headphones jack vs. no headphones

March 22, 2018, 8:07 AM · Hi guys, I'm trying to decide whether to go with Electric Bridge Aquila Dragon Violin with headphones jack vs. the one without headphones jack. The difference in price is $400. How useful is it to get the instrument that has headphones direct plug in capability in the instrument? What are the pros and cons? Thank you!

Replies (5)

March 22, 2018, 9:43 AM · the purpose of a head phone jack would be to 'hear' your electric sound as opposed to playing the Aquila unplugged, yes?

I've got a barcus berry acoustic/electric (no head phone jack) but I picked up a small bass amp with a head phone jack AND an auxiliary in jack. this allows me to mix in an outside source like a CD player or any other background generating device that has a line out. I think this is a huge advantage to 'play along' with other music

the little bass amp only cost me around $275 and it's a nice little amp, sounds great for low volume jams, although I prefer to use my acoustics for house jams.

side note: I've got a 300 watt Mark bass amp for the bar Jams. it's loud but not a harsh/offensive sound. New speaker technology = compact size approx 15" x 14" x 16" and weighs only 30 lbs. and it needs to be set on a stand.

what amp do you have? btw, I've heard good reports about the Bridge Aquila

March 22, 2018, 9:52 AM · I can't answer your question but the folks at the Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum might be able to help.

http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/index.php?board=4.0

March 22, 2018, 10:28 AM · I agree, they will know a lot about Bridge Aquila over on Fiddle Forum. all I was saying was that you may be further off to put the additional cost for the built in headphone jack towards a practice amp with aux-in. then the only audible sound would be that of your unplugged Aquila.

in any case, I'm sure they can give you good advice on any option on FF

March 22, 2018, 12:12 PM · thank you! so you would recommend getting small bass amp with a head phone jack AND an auxiliary in jack instead, for less price but that will allow to practice along with the music?
Edited: March 22, 2018, 4:03 PM · yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. you may hafta look around a bit to find a little amp with both headphones and aux-in, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one. Mine is called 'Promethean' model P20-N made by Ibanez.

it doesn't hafta be a small bass amp, but in general, would sound better than a small guitar amp imo. I tried a slightly larger, slightly more cost bass amp (also w/phones & aux-in) but it was too bassy so I went with the Promethean. and yes, it was around $275 Canadian.

do you have your 'go to' amp for the Aquila yet? if not, that's a whole 'nuther story. Not sure if Aquila requires a pre-amp or has phantom power or whatever. I'm not that far into that aspect of 'gear' I think most ev's need a pre-amp? I know my barcus berry violin certainly needs one. I use a Boss ME-20 effects pedal which also functions as a pre-amp.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases