Tailgut shootout

Edited: March 21, 2018, 10:26 PM · My spring break violin test will be switching my main violin from nylon Sacconi to either- Titanium, Stradpet, dyneema, or kevlar. Just waiting for the last one to arrive. I’ve used and liked Bois du Harmonie kevlar on my violas and other violins. Anyone care to color my preconceptions before trying them out?

Replies (3)

March 22, 2018, 12:12 AM · try gut!!
Edited: March 31, 2018, 7:04 PM · One word about gut- Bashmet. Seriously though, I have some, just haven’t felt the need to, except on a baroque setup I tried once. The knot was very involved. As an ex fisherman and rod builder, kevlar/dyneema is much easier to tie and adjust.
The following results are purely subjective (preface every opinion with imho) and was tested on a bright 57 y.o. student instrument, not my main one.
Today’s tailgut winner was—- Stardpet kevlar core, titanium wrap, and kevlar jacket. Smooth clear sound that was the biggest and most even throughout the entire frequency range. Widest dynamic range, easy and quick articulation, simple adjustment, and moderate resonance.
Nylon Sacconi - muted with damped overtones, the least resonance, and stiff. I can see why you might want this on a very bright instrument.
Kevlar (by the way. not all created or sound/play equal) Quickest articulation, most resonant, most focused and clear. Also the most brittle or brilliant sounding. Probably good for an old fuzzy sounding instrument.
Titanium- similar tro Kevlar, but a little less in each Kevlar characteristic mentioned. stiffer than K, more supple than nylon.
Have steel Wittners that I will try on my 2nd viola and cello, both currently with kevlar and dyneema.
YMMV, IMHO, etc.
March 31, 2018, 9:07 PM · I’ve used and liked Bois du Harmonie kevlar tailcord on my cellos, violas and violins since they were first available. So that's 9 of those I've got around the house. I've also used Sacconi and "faux Sacconi" (never again) and before that, GUT. I think I even tried a steel wire once, because it came with that tailpiece (Acustikus - or something like that).

I'm never going back to anything but BdH. All my tailpieces are now BdH, too.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases