Splinter on soundpost?

March 20, 2018, 8:59 PM · Hello,
So after I just finished practicing and I was looking at my violin and checking that everything was fine. I adjusted the bridge a little bit and as I was doing so I noticed there was a little splinter on the soundpost. I'm not talking about the little slit in the soundpost but its like a piece of the soundpost almost detached from the rest of the main body. Should I be alarmed?

Replies (3)

Edited: March 20, 2018, 9:26 PM · No reason to be alarmed IMO, but certainly not desirable. I'd get a new Sound Post fitted if it were my instrument. I don't know how experienced at this you are, but moving the bridge around can also have a significant impact on the performance. The feet are carved to perfectly fit a given position. Any other position will likely result in a non perfect contact between the feet of the bridge and the top plate, hence resulting in possible damage to the bridge, and sub optimal transmission of vibrations.
March 20, 2018, 9:36 PM · yeah for the bridge i was just adjusting the bridge to prevent it from leaning. but each time i make sure that the feet are planted correctly.
March 21, 2018, 11:25 AM · By the way, lubricating the bridge string slots with graphite by scribbling a pencil in them will greatly lessen the tendency of the bridge to lean (doing the same at the nut contributes to smooth tuning).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases