Headway "The Band"

March 20, 2018, 7:56 PM · Hi all,
Just a qucik question. I like "The Band" as my pickup solution from what I have seen and read. My only questions is a concern raised by one reviewer which is about problems using it without shoulder rest.
I don't use shoulder rest and I would be grateful if someone who has it can tell me if it is really problematic to play with the band without a SR.
I have no option to try it in advance or to return it once I order, so I would like to be clear about that.

Thanks!

Replies (6)

March 20, 2018, 10:58 PM · I don't play with a shoulder rest and do use The Band with my 5-string viola. The Band doesn't interfere with my holding the instrument in any way... it's a great pickup, the amplified sound is quite true to the viola's acoustic sound.
March 21, 2018, 1:24 AM · Thanks! That's what I needed. Do you use a preamp? I have read about the band that although by hardware it doesn't need it, some find it necessary.
Edited: March 21, 2018, 6:04 PM · I've never used The Band, as I've got an acoustic/electric barcus berry violin. but I'm guessing that a pre-amp could only strengthen the signal.

an LR Baggs paracoustic direct in box & pre-amp are very popular, and it's got some very good tweaks and filters.

http://musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0507_LRBaggs_ParaAcousticDI.php#features

Edited: March 21, 2018, 6:04 PM · I play restless and use The Band and the Paracoustic DI as well every weekend. Only issue i’ve had is while wearing a sweater the Velcro in the band gets caught. No problem with dress shirts, though.

I found setting all of the adjustments to sound to neutral works best with my violin. Gain needs to be set almost to max, though, but it’s enough juice to allow the board to set to flat.

March 21, 2018, 7:48 PM · Thank you all. It seems it will serve me well. No sweaters in a tropical country!
March 21, 2018, 11:31 PM · I don't use a preamp with The Band, just a simple (cheap) DI box, it really doesn't need any wizardry to produce a good sound...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases