Double stops in Romanza Andaluza (Sarasate)

March 19, 2018, 4:04 AM · The piece is deceptively simple (well at least IMO), as when further studying the piece I realised the double stops are hard to play expressively and precisely in tune. How do I go about playing and practicing these parts more effectively?

Replies (3)

March 19, 2018, 4:52 AM · Here something that helps me with doublestops. Play both notes with your left hand but with the bow only play on the lower string. Practice that until you notice an improvement in intonation, sound, vibrato and expression(!). Then play both notes with your left hand but with the bow only play the higher string. Again practice that until you notice an improvement. Then again the left hand playing both notes and the bow only playing the lower string. It is important to do the lower string twice because the fingers on the lower string lead. Make sure that although your bow is only playing on one string that your left hand really is playing on both strings.
March 19, 2018, 7:11 AM · Vivien's suggestion is good but before doing that, I suggest playing each double stop in turn as follows: lower note only, keep that finger down while playing the upper note, then play the two together. Once that's in tune, move on to the next double stop. At this stage you don't worry about either slurs or rhythm; just one double stop at a time: lower-upper-together. Once you've gone through all the double stops and figured out where your fingers need to go, then you can apply the practice technique of fingering both but bowing only the lower (or upper).
Edited: March 19, 2018, 10:07 AM · Good suggestions above. Try practicing transitioning between different double stops in the piece. When moving from the first double stop to the second, don't adjust even if you're out of tune. This will negatively affect your ability to learn the correct placement of the fingers. Instead, repeat it again. What has your teacher suggested?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases