How to be fully effective after a week after practice

March 12, 2018, 4:20 AM · In a school trip for a week, when I get back after a few days I'll have some orchestral performances in which I'm the CM. I'll only have a full day of practice when I get back, how can I make the most of it and effectively as possible get back into the mode i was in before?

Replies (4)

Edited: March 12, 2018, 7:17 AM · You should have no trouble. You play well, you are the CM, you know the music. You have not forgotten how to play. You're in an orchestra - so unless you have some solos, no one will actually hear you anyway and if you do, read on.

Practice the tough spots a few times the day you get home and don't panic. Have faith!

34 years ago my wife and I were 350 miles away from home for a week at a conference when the wife of my best friend finally located us after 3 days of trying and phoned on a Friday evening. Her husband, my best friend, had died several days before and they wanted me to play a violin solo at his funeral service the next morning at 11 am.

We were up and out of our hotel by 2am the next morning to drive south and then halfway across California directly east toward the rising sun into a blinding Tule fog - there was no speeding on that drive. Got home with just enough time to contact the pianist, pull out my violin and a copy of Massenet's Meditation, drive to the chapel and do it.

My wife says it was the best solo playing I ever did. My friend was our small city's only pediatrician - every family that had a kid knew him, and he was MD to every kid in town - so the 1,000 seat chapel was totally packed.

March 12, 2018, 6:28 AM · Agree with Andrew. If you're really feeling shaky, practice the hard bits the most. Or just wing it...
March 12, 2018, 6:49 AM · ... and while on your trip, practice he tough parts in your mind. It works.
March 12, 2018, 9:34 AM · Mental practice is very effective; good suggestion!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings