Best edition of the Elgar Concerto?

Edited: March 9, 2018, 12:43 AM · What's the best edition of the Elgar Concerto easily available in the US? I have the IMSLP version but not sure if there‚Äôs a better one.

Replies (3)

March 8, 2018, 8:36 AM · I would be surprised if there were more than one. I'd simply say, especially for an advanced work, to get (if there is a choice), whatever has the least editing. I can dig up and check my edition if you want, but I think there's only one.

Too bad more people don't play this work.

Edited: March 8, 2018, 1:19 PM · I agree with Scott, the Elgar must easily be in the top five, and it is a shame it is overlooked by many.

One of my most treasured LPs (along with the Casals Bach cello suites) is of a 16-year old Yehudi Menuhin playing the concerto with the LSO conducted by Elgar.

Here is an extract from Menuhin's LP sleeve notes:

"We (i.e. Menuhin and Elgar) met in a hotel room where H.M.V. had already arranged for Mr Ivor Newton to play the piano reduction for me as accompaniment. I played a few bars in a mood at once eager and anxious, for I had just prepared the work and I was presenting it, after all, to the composer himself.

"I had scarcely reached the end of the first page when Sir Edward interrupted saying he had no qualms about the performance and that he was sure the recording would be excellent - and as for him - he was off to the races!"

March 9, 2018, 10:46 PM · Thanks both!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings