Stuff to listen to

March 4, 2018, 6:34 AM · What are some pieces regardless of instruments would you recommend listening to? Could be a symphony, chamber music, concerto etcetc.
Tried wandering aimlessly on youtube without much sucess.

Replies (26)

March 4, 2018, 7:25 AM · Look at Fratres by Arvo Part for an enjoyable ten minutes on this Sunday morning.
March 4, 2018, 7:49 AM · Beethoven String Quartet No. 4 in C Minor. Brahms Sonatensatz C Minor for violin and piano
March 4, 2018, 10:51 AM · Boccherini - Cirri: cello sonatas by Catherine Jones
Edited: March 5, 2018, 9:55 AM · Go to https://www.earsense.org/ and work your way through the chamber music literature. I'm particularly partial to Dvorak, especially the A major piano quintet and the piano trios.

Maybe you could also consider working your way through particular composers/periods, starting with the genre in which they excelled. So, Mozart operas, starting with Figaro. Chopin Nocturnes. Haydn string quartets. Beethoven/Brahms/Mahler symphonies. Schubert lieder. Etc.

March 4, 2018, 12:42 PM · Solos:

-Shostakovich Violin Concerto in A Minor*, Cello Concerto in E-Flat Major
-Bloch Suite Hebraique
-Haydn Cello Concerto in C Major
-Prokofiev Violin Concerto in D Major
-Howells Elegy*
-Ginastera Piano Concerto No. 1
-Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata
-Walton Violin Concerto

Symphonies:
-Shostakovich Symphonies 5, 7, 9, 10*, 11, 14, 15
-Mahler Symphonies 2, 6
-Beethoven Symphonies 3, 6, 7
-Dvorak Symphonies 8, 9
-Liszt Dante Symphony

Chamber Music (have fun!):
-Shostakovich String Quartets 3, 7*, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15
-Shostakovich Piano Quintet in G Minor
-Dvorak String Quartet in F Major, Viola Quintet in E-Flat Major, Piano Quintet in A Major*
-Ginastera String Quartets 1*, 2
-Bartok String Quartets 4*, 5
-Hindemith String Quartet 4
-Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht, String Quartet 3
-Tchaikovsky Souvenir de Florence, Serenade for Strings
-Walton String Quartet in A Minor
-Ravel String Quartet in F Major

(*highly recommended)

Edited: March 4, 2018, 3:19 PM · I'm fortunate to have a great listener sponsored classical music station in my broadcast region, KDFC. Listen to that online if you want experts to pick the tracks for you. Perhaps there are other great stations in other regions? Any suggestions everybody?
Edited: March 5, 2018, 10:05 AM · Toronto public library provides to it's members free access to Naxos music library. Sound quality is average, but there is literally all music recorded by Naxos and more.
March 5, 2018, 9:37 AM · "Tried wandering aimlessly on youtube without much sucess"

One of the tragedies of the modern age is that people really believe that Youtube is THE source for music, and if it doesn't exist there it doesn't exist at all.

Youtube to music is like the shadowy figures on the wall of Plato's cave.

March 5, 2018, 9:46 AM · What? No Mozart yet? Try his K516 2-viola string quintet!
March 5, 2018, 10:39 AM · "One of the tragedies of the modern age is that people really believe that Youtube is THE source for music, and if it doesn't exist there it doesn't exist at all."

I have to agree here.

Use Soulseek. If it isn't there then it doesn't exist.

Edited: March 5, 2018, 3:43 PM · Agreed with Scott. I usually find the music or a well noted name and then search Youtube for it/them. Sometimes you'll have struck gold and relevant or good leads will pop up but it'll still only get you so far before the search becomes stale again. One of my favorites off Youtube still is Wieniawski's variations on an original theme Op 15 performed by Ilya Grubert.
March 5, 2018, 3:48 PM · For listening, I like the Handel operas. For violin inspirations, I like the Corelli sonatas and anything played by Andrew Manze. And that's about as modern as I usually like to get.
March 5, 2018, 11:15 PM · To use YouTube as a source, you pretty much have to know what you're looking for.

That said, sometimes I discover interesting new music if I find the YouTube channel of a regularly-held music festival.

March 6, 2018, 5:33 AM · Some mainstream pieces you should know

Haydn Symphony Nº 45
Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusic
Beethoven 6º and 7º Symphony
Berlioz Symphonique Fantastique
Liszt Les Preludes
Smetana Ma Vlast

March 6, 2018, 9:06 AM · The Naxos library is great, has a lifetime of music. If you subscribe to IMSLP you get access as well, so anyone can get it for very little.

Also, Apple Music has a very deep library too, and you can have it generate random mix "radio stations".

Edited: March 6, 2018, 11:08 AM · If you are interested at all in solo piano music, I suggest the best piece ever written for that instrument: The B Minor Sonata by Franz Liszt. I also recommend the album "Horowitz Plays Scriabin."

When you listen to chamber music I suggest you do so with the score in your lap. You can get a Dover edition of all of Beethoven's quartets for $20 on Amazon. I don't know how they even print it for that price.

I have found that Spotify does a better job of suggesting something "similar" than YouTube.

March 6, 2018, 9:27 PM · Here are some of my go-to pieces when I want to listen to something:
Schoenberg - Verklarte Nacht
Mendelssohn - String Octet
Brahms - Any symphony
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 and Symphony 5
Chopin - Nocturnes
Pretty much any standard VC's, or Cello concertos.
March 6, 2018, 11:25 PM · takashi yoshimatsu's memo flora piano concerto. it's my favorite piece of music right now and he's a great composer that I don't hear about enough
March 7, 2018, 6:13 AM · Zero female composers mentioned so far. Chamber music of Amy Beach, some of it is very nice.
March 7, 2018, 7:00 AM · if we're talking female composers then lili boulanger's nocturne is a personal favorite of mine
March 8, 2018, 4:41 PM · While we're on the topic of female composers, I feel compelled to add the wonderful viola compositions of Rebecca Clarke. My particular favourite being Morpheus https://youtu.be/1_vZKrEOLYE. However, have a stroll through her other compositions as well, especially her sonata for viola and piano. Edited: March 8, 2018, 4:43 PM · Sorry looks like I didn't properly close one of my tags in the post above - closed now.

I did have more to say, but I'll traipse off embarrassed at such a rookie coding error.

Neil

March 8, 2018, 7:55 PM · I second the nomination of Clarke. Her viola sonata is the single most frequently performed piece featuring solo viola over the last 20 years or so.

Other women composers among my favorites: Emilie Mayer (arguably the greatest female symphonist), Amanda Maier (her violin sonata is especially outstanding), Louise Farrenc (look for her 3rd Symphony and her Nonet), Elfrida Andrée.

Edited: March 9, 2018, 2:18 AM · Regarding women composers Clara Schumann and Fanny Hensel (Mendelssohn's sister) should also be mentioned. Mozart's sister Nannerl was a child prodigy too, but unfortunately stopped composing at a young age.
March 9, 2018, 3:40 AM · I've actually studiously avoided talking about Clara Schumann and Fanny Mendelssohn when people start talking about women composers, because they're the first two most people think of. But... do listen to Clara Schumann's piano concerto and piano trio. They're both excellent pieces.
Edited: March 9, 2018, 7:08 AM · Bruckner 4 (cond. Klemperer) & 9 (cond. Barbirolli)
Brahms, anything performed by Kathleen Ferrier, Song of Destiny, 1st Piano Concerto, 4th Symphony, 4th & 10th Chorale Preludes, D-minor violin sonata (Szeryng)
Liszt Faust symphony
Mozart & Verdi Requiems.
Faure Requiem, Chamber Music, Cantique de Jean Racine (the one piece I have heard that lacks his trademark cadence).
Dvorak Symphony 7, the earlier part of Svata Ludmilla.
Haydn The Seasons, chamber music (The one composer that doesn't grab me when playing, but does when listening)
Beethoven Violin Concerto (Milstein), Missa Solennis, Fidelio.
Mendelssohn 6th Organ Sonata, Italian and Scottish Symphonies, Violin concerto.
Cezar Franck Piano Quintet, Symphony (You won't get another cor anglais solo
like that one) Organ Chorale No 1, Violin Sonata.
Berlioz Harold in Italy (Menuhin)
Walton Belshazzar's Feast, Viola Concerto, Crown Imperial, 1st Symphony
Handel "I know that my Redeemer liveth", 10th Organ Concerto
Bach, Mozart, Purcell, virtually anything (including pieces/songs suspected of being by Anna Magdalena)
Farnaby, pieces
Glinka Russlan and Ludmilla Overture
Rimsky-Korsakoff Scheherezade
Borodin 2nd String Quartet, Polovtsian Dances
Glazounov violin Concerto
Parry "My soul, there is a country" (cond David Willcocks - this is important, I heard it sung very woodenly conducted by someone else)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings