Westminster E vs. Wondertone Gold Label vs. Evah Gold-plated steel?

Edited: March 4, 2018, 7:25 PM · I have actually tried all three, albeit not on the same violin.

Can anyone explain tonal differences that would be preferable as a soloist?

Replies (7)

March 4, 2018, 6:39 AM · I can't answer your question specifically, as I am very far removed from a classical soloist, but I can comment. I have tried all 3 and on the same fiddle. are you talking about the Evah Gold gold, or the 'Standard' Evah gold? in any case, I find both too bright for me.

I am currently using the Evah Gold (steel) on my barcus berry accoustic/electric. the Evah Gold (steel) almost worked on one of my acoustics, but it was a bit too much for that fiddle, so I went with standard Evah steel. it's not as loud as some others, but I find it fairly warm, a pleasing colorful tone with some character.

and, I rather like the color and tone of the Westminster, but I'm not sure about the tension.

I find the Eudoxa Gold Label rather hollow sounding.

another E string I like is the Jargar Forte. I used that for quite a while on a fiddle I don't have any more. The other 3 strings I used with the Jargar Forte were Vision Titanium Solo's.

March 4, 2018, 9:35 AM · All of them are "soloist" strings, the gold-plated Pirazzi being the least common (not bad *due* to this, mind you.) If your violin and other strings can handle it, the Westminster 27.5 is very powerful, but thick, so hopefully your setup/string clearance isn't too high (or just don't press there and play "over the string", as it were.) Its tension will affect the others. I used to use it, but have been using "Medium" Es for a while now, for better string balance and a more open and brighter tone. For a similar reason, I also don't heartily recommend the Jargar Forte that many Soloists use because it may not work at all with your setup and/or instrument. But "soloists" can and do use all aforementioned options.

I think that what you are going after, a bit muddled by the "soloist" subject, is "how can I impress the most volume-wise when I get to play the Mozart D Major in front of an audience?" The answer is: "it depends", and it's also up to your bow arm and artistry, more than just strings used.

Hill mediums and Goldbrokat mediums-give those a try as well. The Goldbrokat Med. is on my instrument very clear throughout all its registers, powerful, easy to play, and emphasize the right tonal frequencies that help the instrument project better.

The Titanium Solo E is also very clear and powerful, but a bit pricey at $20.00+.

Good luck-there's no one solution other than your playing and what works best for you and your instrument. Loudness is helped by strings, and is but one factor. Especially, Mozart Concerti are not the ultimate test for the loudest string you can play on.

March 4, 2018, 12:45 PM · E strings are incredibly specific to a violin, and sometimes to its set-up as well. The best way to pick a great E for your instrument is to try a whole bunch of them.

On my previous violin, I spent an afternoon at Ifshin's, tried a whole bunch of E strings they recommended, and they helped me pick the best-sounding one, with a bit of an adjustment to go with it. (I ended up with a Jargar Forte, then.)

March 4, 2018, 7:26 PM · Dave, Adalberto & Lydia, thanks for the insight! Very very, helpful.
March 4, 2018, 7:42 PM · E strings can also drastically change the sound and response of the other 3 strings. If you are testing different e strings, check how it changes the other strings, both up close and at a distance.
Edited: March 5, 2018, 7:27 AM · I second Lydia and Douglas’s comment.
The E string can totoally change a violin’s characteristic.
I use Pirastro Passione for ADG.

When I use Jargar forte, it gives the ADG more focused sound throughout, as though if I am using the Evah Gold set (it actually reminded me of that). Very powerful and focused. The ADG string completely changed.

But if I change the E to Oliv gold plated (medium tension), the violin tone loosens up and opens up a bit (not in a bad way) and added more texture through out ADG. And A string in particular is capable of producing more color and texture (more sensitive to bow pressure and the amount of bow hair I put in). I guess it’s got to do with overall tension.

It’s a good idea for you to try them all. For soloist tone, probably you’ll be looking at all heavy gauges for strings you mentioned.
I particularly like Westminster 27.5, Jargar Forte and Goldbrokat 27.
But again, it’s very instrument dependent even for violin with good setup. They all respond differently since they each have its own character like human being :) you just gotta try

March 5, 2018, 7:50 AM · Violins react to tension differently. I've never owned an instrument that liked heavy-gauge strings, for instance, other than on the E string (specifically for Jargar, and even that was more to stop a whistle than anything else). And high-tension is less responsive, which is not a trade-off that I normally want to make.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings