Audition piece suggestion/help

March 1, 2018, 2:38 PM · My current student has an audition coming up and I'm at a loss for something to suggest because of the requirements which are:

Must be Allegro or faster

Must include playing in first, third and fifth positions

So far not a huge problem until...

Must not be more than 20 measures

I personally don't know anything that short that meets the requirement of first, third and fifth positions.

I'm sure that there is something out there but I don't know what meets all three criteria. Help.

Replies (12)

March 1, 2018, 2:42 PM · Can you or your student compose 20 measures that fit to criteria?
March 1, 2018, 2:48 PM · Perhaps they want an excerpt, not a whole piece?
March 1, 2018, 2:56 PM · Lydia, et al.,

I'm sure that all they want is an excerpt but to cover the range in 20 measures? If this were just for scales/arpeggios that would be easy, but even an excerpt would probably be longer. Unfortunately, it isn't a mistake or mis-print I talked to the orchestra and they were adamant but offered no suggestions. Problem is that he really wants to audition for that orchestra.

March 1, 2018, 6:14 PM · Obviously there are no pieces that are only 20 bars long, so that's not an issue. The student can simply study a piece that goes up to 5th position and learn the first section for the audition and the rest as a longer-term goal. For a concerto, just the exposition. For anything else, just the first cadence. When they've heard enough they'll stop him/her. If they're playing really well, it might be more than 20 bars. It's actually a rather silly requirement. I've heard 2 or 5 or 10 minutes, but not x number of bars.

There are any number of pieces which fit this criteria of fast and up to 5th position, including the Preludium and Allegro, sans Preludium. The real question is how long the student has to prepare it. Another fast piece could be the first movement of the Sinding Suite. Or possibly the Bach E Major Partita, first movement.
Too many others to name.

And no, one should probably not write their own piece for an audition.

March 1, 2018, 6:24 PM · What about an excerpt from an etude? I think you could find 20 measures out of Kreutzer #10 or #11 that would fill the bill.
March 1, 2018, 6:37 PM · The first handful of measures of Csardas work for this.
March 1, 2018, 7:06 PM · I don't think the opening of Csardas is Allegro.
March 1, 2018, 8:19 PM · The beginning of the fast section of DeBeriot's Scene de Ballet would qualify, too.
March 1, 2018, 8:52 PM · Are you sure it's not a typo? Do they mean 200?
Edited: March 2, 2018, 1:47 AM · The first 20 measures of the E major Preludio seem to meet this requirement, though measure 20 is a silly place to stop... Come to think of it, there really isn't a logical stopping point until measure 138.
March 2, 2018, 9:48 AM · It's not unusual for youth and amateur auditions to say 32 measures. The choice of 20 is a bit odd. But really, you don't need that much to form an impression of a player.

March 2, 2018, 3:19 PM · Thanks Scott, the Preludium and Allegro is exactly what the audition ordered. Now, teaching him how to play it... That should be fun.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings