The Slipper

February 28, 2018, 8:28 AM ·

Has anyone tried this rest? I haven't been able to find more than a few reviews and no one I know has it (or has heard of it).

Replies (16)

February 28, 2018, 8:36 AM · I would actually want one of this! Since the shoulder rest carves out the ergonomics, I'd guess that I omits the chin rest.
Edited: February 28, 2018, 9:30 AM · It looks to me like this SR does what a SR should not be used for: elevate the instrument off the shoulder, hence raising your bowing arm and causing tension in the right shoulder. Note how high the player's left arm is playing the A string.
February 28, 2018, 10:54 AM · I'm not sure, Roger: the young lady's violin is leaning down a little, and anyway an inch or two higher or lower makes little difference to fatigue in either arm.

Also, in both photos, the part of the rest straddling the shoulder is very near the back plate, and the very high right leg presses some way down on her chest.

But I do find her right arm way too high anyway, not beacause of the rest.

February 28, 2018, 11:08 AM · Looks uncomfortable and like the violin is locked. Invisi-rest anyone?

Cheers Carlo

Edited: February 28, 2018, 11:24 AM · I see at least two negatives. First there would be limited flexibility in the distance between the brackets that hold it onto the instrument, so there would be limited options for positioning. Second, I think the design would be too restrictive for the player. It looks like a prototype judging by the rough sanding marks left on the wood. I'd say there's good reasons why it never made a dent in the marketplace.
February 28, 2018, 11:46 AM · Check out this: http://acoustagrip.com

It is made of semi-firm, but not hard foam so it allows flexibility that "clip-on" SRs do not.
I find it does not spoil the instrument's resonant qualities.

February 28, 2018, 12:08 PM · I'm sure it's magic for a select few.
February 28, 2018, 1:09 PM · I can't quite figure out whether this shoulder rest was designed for those who play their violin about 90 degrees off to the left, or for those with humongous breast implants. ;-)
February 28, 2018, 1:28 PM · I had a teacher who did indeed play with a significantly elevated bow arm, specifically in order to avoid her (naturally) huge jugs. :-)
February 28, 2018, 1:33 PM · The feet are wide enough to have, say, three holes for the screw parts, to allow for different settings.

The latest Mach One rests are of similar design..

February 28, 2018, 4:31 PM · This looks terribly uncomfortable. Repetitive strain injuries are cause by locking things into one fixed position, just like this!
February 28, 2018, 6:19 PM · Looks more like a (upside down) stiletto than a slipper
February 28, 2018, 7:12 PM · Hmm, stilettos and breast implants...Did I stray into the wrong website?
March 1, 2018, 8:42 AM · Yikes, Lydia.
March 3, 2018, 5:29 AM · I recommend that to anyone who is interested in the slipper rest to definitely go to a shop and try it out. I used one for violin but due to my broad shoulders, the end of the curve would drill into my shoulder leaving a huge bruise whenever I'd finish playing.

That being said, I've noticed that this shoulder rest works best for women because most women don't have that issue with very broad shoulders. It's a great shoulder rest and of the 10 or so people who I know that use them, they are in love with them and swear by them.

But I stress, try it at a shop first if possible! I bought mine without trying it and at the ~$100 price point, it's not a cheap thing to buy and try. Though, I do believe you can return it if you don't like it. Mine was given to a student who had much more of a need for it than myself, free of charge of course.

March 3, 2018, 5:43 AM · If you consider buying the slipper because of it's shape you can also get a Wolf rest and bend it into this shape. Costs much less and you can also tinker with how much you bend it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings