Good-bye Giobatta Morassi

Edited: February 28, 2018, 3:38 AM · Yesterday evening, at age 84, one of Cremona’s premier violin makers passed away. Protagonist of the renaissance of Cremona’s tradition, founder of the A.L.I. (Italian Association of Violin Making), and one of the world's best-known luthiers, he was also my teacher at the International Violin Making School.

His centrally-located workshop was like a seaport, with student makers of all nationalities showing him their instruments in order to receive pointers and critique. "Il Maestro" always dispensed them liberally and often with his legendary exclamations of surprise, which were readily adopted as well.

Revered by many, with a deep international influence, his legacy will live on in today’s modern violin making. Goodbye, Maestro.

Replies (4)

February 28, 2018, 3:23 AM · Sad to know that. I got many of my tools on his shop back in the 80's.
February 28, 2018, 4:19 PM · R.I.P. Maestro Gio Batta, you give me four unforgettable years at the school.
Edited: February 28, 2018, 7:40 PM · I had a lovely visit with him and his son in 2000.He had many good anecdotes about Garimberti,one of his teachers and was exceptionally courteous to a "hoser" from Canada.It was quite an honour to meet such a grandmaster.
Edited: March 2, 2018, 2:49 PM · I personally know 2 Canadian luthiers who studied in Cremona and am well aware of high quality of their work. That is the best legacy one can leave behind.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings