What after Accolay?

February 21, 2018, 9:51 PM · I am just about to perform Accolay 1 in a recital and I wants some suggestions what to play next. I can play Accolay very good and I learned it in about 2 months. Any suggestions?

Replies (14)

February 21, 2018, 11:17 PM · Have you asked your instructor?
February 22, 2018, 4:55 AM · Haydn G Major often comes after Accolay.

If your playing of the Accolay is quite solid then you probably are at approximately Suzuki Book 6 level? If so then you should do most of the pieces in Book 6, it's one of the best Suzuki books with La Folia and a couple of nice Handel Sonatas especially. That material (Handel and Haydn) is essential prep for Mozart.

You should be looking for a slow, lyrical piece too -- but you especially need your teacher's input there because the technical demands among them are so highly variable.

February 22, 2018, 4:04 PM · Meditation seems appropriate. Ask your teacher for a list of suggestions and pick your fave. Even uncommon pieces at your level are appropriate.
Edited: February 23, 2018, 5:39 PM · I think a few pieces I worked on shortly after Accolay were Beethoven Spring Sonata, Beethoven Romance in F, Tartini Didone Abbandonata (which has TONS of lyrical studies and I still love it), Haydn in G, Csardas, and The Boy Paganini, NOT in this particular order.

Teachers usually have a curriculum set out for their students, so it may be prudent to discuss with him/her what your teacher has in store for you next, since it is most likely your teacher that understands your strengths and weaknesses the best.

EDIT; Schubert Sonatina is also really fun and immensely helped me develop a singing ton.

February 23, 2018, 5:39 PM · I don't think all teachers have a specific repertoire curriculum, though there's pieces that nearly everyone learns.
February 23, 2018, 6:02 PM · @Ella Yes, that’s really what I meant. I know Kabalevsky Improvvisato Irato is one of those niche pieces my teacher taught me none of the faculty at a local college knew, but I also know most people will have played Haydn in G and Kabalevsky in C and the Mozarts before jumping into bigger romantic stuff like Bruch and Wieniawski. I assume most of what is taught during the Suzuki years-preBruch is pretty similar, though, based on conversations I’ve had with my music major friends.
February 25, 2018, 12:03 PM · Viotti 23
February 25, 2018, 12:25 PM · There's quite a lot of intermediate repertoire, and while some of it is very common, there's quite a bit of variance between teachers on which particular works they teach or don't teach.
February 25, 2018, 3:14 PM · Cassio...Do you know the Deutche number for that sonatina?
February 25, 2018, 4:42 PM · Viotti 23 is a LOT harder than Accolay or Haydn G Major.
February 25, 2018, 9:04 PM · @Bill Barber It's the one in D major, D.384. I ended up buying the book with all three sonatinas, though. Opus 137.
February 25, 2018, 10:01 PM · I think some teachers are willing to climb out of their shells and explore new repertoire they've never played or taught before. At least that's what my teacher's like.
February 25, 2018, 10:44 PM · Viotti 23 is not much harder than Accolay, if at all. Perhaps Paul is thinking of Viotti 22, which is more difficult.
February 26, 2018, 10:27 PM · I think Csárdás would be good. It has a good variety of techniques in there and is always fun to play.
After Csárdás maybe Praeludium and Allegro if you want to stick to technique building. If you want to do some clean up and music building, then maybe Mozart Concerto 3

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings