How to stretch canvas case cover?

February 19, 2018, 4:54 PM · I took off the canvas case cover from my violin case a couple of weeks ago and now can't put it back on.
The cover is too tight/small.

It had been on the case for decades!

I thought of washing/wetting it.
I put it in the bathtub but I need something to stretch it out.

Any thoughts? This is a real heavy duty thick canvas cover.

Replies (10)

Edited: February 20, 2018, 3:07 PM · I did the same mistake a few years ago... looking for an advice too!
February 19, 2018, 5:37 PM · This is just a guess, so take it with that in mind. You could wrap the case in Saran Wrap, or equivalent, to protect it from the moisture, then attempt to apply the cover while dampening it with water from a spray bottle. If/when you get it on, then leave it to dry.
February 19, 2018, 5:55 PM · Well, if throwing it in the bathtub (with water) to get it wet wasn't enough to get the canvas to stretch by hand, I doubt that spraying it from a spray bottle will help. :)
February 20, 2018, 1:50 PM · Might'nt soaking cause it to shrink?
February 20, 2018, 4:20 PM · One way to stretch the case could be to fill it with heavy material, like bricks or sand, and suspend it for a while.

Note that wetting a canvas fabric will likely shrink it (think soaking new jeans to get a required tight fit).

There's a traditional method, which I was taught in my first job as a lab technician, of getting a very tight fitting lid onto a container - cool the container to shrink it slightly and heat the lid to expand it. Perhaps someone could think along those lines to devise a solution to the OP's problem.

Edited: February 22, 2018, 11:32 AM · Like follow Mark B's idea to cover the case with Saran Wrap and soak the cover in very warm water and put it on the case wet. Let it dry in place and then remove cover, Saran Wrap and replace the cover.

Is this one of those $200 Jaeger covers? If not - maybe buy a new one.

My Jaeger cover has been off and gone for at least 10 years.

February 22, 2018, 6:13 PM · I doubt that filling a case with bricks and suspending it will result in stretching in jus the right directions.

Here's a suggestion: generally the zippers on these covers break over time, and they are fairly narrow. Take the cover to a shoe repair place and ask them to put on a larger (hopefully metal) zipper. The extra size may give you the extra room you need. Soaking may work, but if it doesn't I can't see that anything else will.
When I was using my Jaeger case more, I chucked it anyway and used a cushy case cover. Much better protection. Those canvas covers are to modern cases what hobnail boots are to modern mountain climbing boots--obsolete.

February 22, 2018, 6:17 PM · I have read somewhere that hair-conditoner or baby shampoo could soften the fabric and help it stretch. Will let you know if I get crazy enough to give it a try.
February 23, 2018, 4:10 PM · Scott's suggestion is a good one, and it's roughly what I did with the cover for my double case - except that Eray doesn't repair shoes, but drycleans and repairs clothes. You may have to source the zip yourself on the internet - I didn't burden Eray with that job. I got my zip from UK Sewing Machines .
February 23, 2018, 4:46 PM · My one inquiry about zipper replacement would have exceeded the cost of the leather coat it was for. Scott's suggestion to replace with a Cushy cover appeals to me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings