Glasser Bows: Good or Bad

February 14, 2018, 7:08 AM · I feel like I've written something about this, but I'm not sure so I'll write it again.

I had a 1970's Glasser bow, back when the fiberglass was solid and strong. I've used that bow until one day, I closed the lid on it and it somehow cracked the tip off. (I donated the tip as the 1st ever fiberglass tip to my luthier's collection)

Then recently, a little kid that I mentor for our youth orchestra came to me and asked, "Is this supposed to happen?" He brought me one of the newer Glasser bows and Looked at it. She cracked it cleanly in half. I wasn't surprised but then I noted that the bow was hollow.

I don't know if any of you guys have any more information on hollow Glasser bows.

Replies (3)

February 14, 2018, 4:55 PM · The bow has to be hollow if the material it's made from is too dense. The only real question is whether the bow performs well or not.

Fiberglass composites might not be as indestructible as CF.

Edited: February 14, 2018, 9:34 PM · What I recall of Glasser fiberglass bows was that they would rank low in comparison with more expensive bows, including Glasser composites. I recall the fiberglass bows were not great in supporting off-string bowing or tone.

What I remember of the ~$100 Glasser "composite" bow (not CF) was that it was not great tonally, but it supported learning bowing strokes quite well.

But it was many years ago.= - do I misremember?

February 15, 2018, 6:41 AM · @Paul Yes, but the earlier Glasser bows were solid, and not hollow. They probably did make material changes, but it shouldn't be significant.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases