String Quartet

February 13, 2018, 7:09 PM · Most beautiful string quartet movements of all time? (Thinking wedding, but something unusual.)

Replies (15)

Edited: February 13, 2018, 7:32 PM · The Terremoto from the Seven Last Words of Christ (Haydn). Not sure if that would go well at a wedding though. :)

I like String Quartet No. 13 in A minor, D. 804 "Rosamunde" by Schubert, especially the first movement.

February 13, 2018, 8:23 PM · What portion of a wedding? And how long? (For things like processionals, there needs to be proper timing.)
February 13, 2018, 8:27 PM · Yep, which portion of the wedding and how long the walk is crucial to your question.

I've done so many weddings with clients paying a lot of $$$$ for a special arrangement, and it was only played for 10 seconds.

Edited: February 13, 2018, 8:42 PM · Check out Antonin Dvor├ík's Cypresses quartet, B152. Each movement is an arrangement of a love song from earlier in his career. The movements vary in length quite a bit, so you might be able to find something from it that works.
February 13, 2018, 9:22 PM · Haydn OP3 NR5 Andante Cantabile
February 13, 2018, 9:50 PM · If this is music for a processional, it needs to be something that can be ended in the middle without sounding abrupt. (To give you the idea, Pachelbel Canon and Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring may be overplayed, but they are pretty much perfect processional music.) You don't want to have the entire wedding party in place, just standing there for an extra five minutes while the quartet keeps playing.

If this is to be special music during the wedding, please keep in mind that even a four-minute movement will feel like an eternity if everyone is just standing there with nothing else going on.

February 14, 2018, 2:50 PM · mozart dissonant slow mvmt. Borodin. Some nice small pieces in Les Vendredis.
February 14, 2018, 4:02 PM · This is not for the processional. Timing doesn't matter. Mostly for prelude. Perhaps for something in the middle of the wedding. My fiance and I are both classical musicians, and the things going on in the wedding will work around the music, instead of the typical vice versa. Just trying to get input from the community about favorite string quartet movements. Thanks!
February 14, 2018, 4:07 PM · And to clarify, I actually "do" want the entire wedding party in place while the string quartet continues to play for five more minutes. Thanks!
February 14, 2018, 4:47 PM · Just bear in mind that bridal party members (of either gender) are prone to fainting if the weather is warm and they've got to stand at attention for too long. They just fall right over -- thud.
February 14, 2018, 9:17 PM · Haha, yes, thanks. It's in a well air-conditioned church where the acoustics are good.
February 15, 2018, 5:21 AM · Possibly overplayed but still beautiful - slow movement of Borodin's second quartet.
Not an original string quartet work but for our ceremony I asked our quartet to arrange the slow movement of Bach's double violin concerto to be played as we signed the register. It worked really well.
Another beautiful piece on my long list of chamber pieces to play is Faure's op 121 quartet. All the movements are lovely, slow movement especially.
February 15, 2018, 8:34 AM · Schubert is what came immediately to my mind. Both Rosamunde and Death and the Maiden. If you want to go a different direction though, I think Michael McLean and others have some Tangos for quartets.
February 15, 2018, 9:13 AM · Beethoven! Opus 18 No 1 slow movement is exquisite, and of course there's the Cavatina from Opus 130 (and the Andante is lovely too!)

The slow movement from the Dvorak American quartet is pretty stunning as well.

Edited: February 15, 2018, 10:52 AM · The Andante Cantabile from Tchaikovsky's String Quartet No.1 Op.11 exudes a feeling of quiet joy, peace and contentment. Marriage doesn't get any better than that (often gets worse).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings