Violin Info and Question

February 7, 2018, 9:40 PM · Could anyone give me more info on what they think about this violin? Is it me or does the tailpiece look a bit low? The inside of the violin is dustier than I expected so should I be worried about that? Also, I noticed that there are some seams along the part that connects the rib and the top plate of the violin. Is that something I should be concerned about? Why do the corners look knubby? One last question, why are the plates not out enough? Some parts of the plates end at the rib.

Thanks for reading this. Any response is appreciated.

Here's the link for the pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/o7wAe

Replies (4)

February 7, 2018, 9:45 PM · I don't think it's a huge problem. As long as there's no cracks or damage and it's set up well, I think it's fine. If in doubt, get a tech to check it out.
Edited: February 8, 2018, 3:53 PM · There are cracks on the top plate and along the ribs... the one along bass bar could be problematic and expensive to fix. Does violin have a buzz while played?
Here is how to measure FB to bridge projection:
Place a ruler on the top of the FB, 1/2 way between D and A strings and slide it toward the bridge.
Measure the distance from top board to the point of intersection - where the ruler touches violin's bridge.
The minimum for classical music is 25mm. Anything lower than that would require neck reset.
Edited: February 8, 2018, 11:38 AM · To Rocky's points, if that is a bass bar crack that has been properly repaired, it will still devalue the violin. If it hasn't been properly repaired, it will be expensive to fix. Neck resets are also expensive.

If you're considering buying this violin, I would recommend taking it to an independent luthier (i.e. not connected with whoever is trying to sell it to you) to get a rough estimate of what it needs and whether the cost will exceed the instrument's value. (In other words, is it totaled?)

If you inherited this instrument or otherwise already own it, I would still want an estimated value of the violin (if it were in good condition) and an estimate of cost to bring it to good condition before putting any money into it.

Tl:dr bass bar cracks bad, neck resets expensive.

February 8, 2018, 11:59 AM · it looks like a nice Saxon violin that has unfortunately been revarnished which adds to it problems, the reason the corners don't stick out is it is Saxon Built on Back construction made without a mold. Do you own the violin or are you considering buying it, if so its probably not worth more than $1000 or so, assuming the bass bar crack is properly repaired, and the bridge is high enough. Not having the original varnish knocks almost 50% off the value.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings