Wagner leitmotifs for string quartet

February 7, 2018, 2:33 PM · My orchestra will be playing a concert with music mainly from Die Valküre + some highlights from other parts of the ring cycle. In connection with the project the conductor will give a lecture and he wants a string quartet from the orchestra to play examples of various leitmotifs from the cycle. Does anyone here know where we might find highlights from the ring cycle arranged for quartet?

Replies (5)

February 8, 2018, 5:49 PM · Nobody's responded, probably because there aren't any quartet arrangements of the Ring. On imslp there are plenty of solo piano transcriptions available for each of the 4 operas that you might be able to work from, given enough time to make your own transcriptions. Not my idea of a good time, but if you only need five or six example passages, it might not be so bad.
February 9, 2018, 2:24 AM · Peter Schickele did a bassoon Quartet (Last Tango from Bayreuth), but that won’t likely fit into violin registers too well.
February 9, 2018, 7:21 AM · Stephen - but it could definitely be done as a cello quartet!
February 9, 2018, 8:16 AM · Thanks for the replies. I knew it was a long shot....
I have seen the piano reductions on Imslp and we will have to play from them. I also found a quartet arrangement of Siegfried idyll that we can use.
February 9, 2018, 11:41 AM · If you found it on IMSLP I know it well, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings