William Wilkanowski Violin

January 30, 2018, 5:05 PM · Are there any other Wilkanowski Violin Owners out there?

In addition to being a more lighter orange/yellow, unlike his more "red" violins, Mine does not feature the signature "W": and is more expensive than most that have the "W" inlay. Is this significant?

Also, the label on the inside features the number 19. Is this the 19th produced?

Replies (8)

February 16, 2018, 4:55 PM · I had several Wilkanowski's in the 80's 90's, a couple early ones with no W and a couple beautiful reddish ones with the W. The number is probably right. So, probably an early one, I would say. Wish you could post a photo

February 25, 2018, 8:45 PM ·
February 25, 2018, 8:45 PM · I will tomorrow!
February 25, 2018, 8:49 PM · I see a few too many of these on ebay to think they're all hand made by one guy?????
February 25, 2018, 8:51 PM · So many American makers imported German violins in the white and finished them with their secret graduation/varnish etc, is this one of those??
February 25, 2018, 9:11 PM · Lyndon, Mine is a much rarer, older one, made long before he started machine producing them by the hundreds. He mass producedmany from 1925 onwards. Mine is Ca. 1920...
February 25, 2018, 10:43 PM · That would explain it.
February 26, 2018, 4:46 PM · I just got one in that has a "Made expressly for Ditson" label in it, and I have one, and have seen 3 with Juzek labels, all dated during the second world war.
I have one with a Brooklyn label, handwritten, and signed on the inside of the top. It looks nothing like the typical Wilkanowski that can't really be mistaken for anything else.
I also had one pass through the shop that had a label from the Cable Piano Company of Kenosha, WI, stating that it was made by "Wilkanowsky".

The purfling "W" seems to be related to the highest grade.

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/william-wilkanowski/

Plenty of useful info.

The tops are usually some sort of cedar. I know, you say they look like spruce, but wait until you are inside of one...The tops and backs are essentially the same arch and graduations. They can sound good with some help. The overstand tends to be very low (3-4mm), the fingerboards are often too narrow at the upper end. Most are quite large(over 360 mm). The varnish is very soft, always marked by the case. The most I have sold one for is $4800, and that was during the price spike after the guitar from J. Cash's estate sold for over 10k.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings