Where do you do ASTACAP exams in-person (just for those of you in the U.S.)

Edited: January 30, 2018, 1:44 PM · I want to take an in-person astacap exam. I have already gotten past several levels. I feel that it would be a better experience for me because I would be playing for someone who is right in front of me, and would have to sight read too, unlike in the online exam. I live in Maryland if it helps. Also, are there exam periods for the in-person exams, or is it year round? The online exams have 3 testing periods each year, in January, April, and May (sadly, I forgot about the exam this month) :,(

Replies (5)

Edited: January 30, 2018, 7:20 PM · This is the link you want for Maryland: LINK

Do you live in Montgomery County, where, as far as I know, the exams are held? Do you study with a teacher who routinely sends kids to ASTACAP exams?

January 30, 2018, 8:03 PM · Lydia, I live in Frederick County, which neighbors Montgomery county. It is in Rockville if you know where that is. And yes, I think that my teachers often has his students do ASTACAP exams, but I think most of his students do the online exam. I would, however, like to try out the in-person exam. Good practice for auditions.
January 30, 2018, 10:06 PM · Sure, I know. My community orchestra is MoCo-based but draws a lot of folks from Frederick County (some of our players also are in the Frederick Symphony), and we run a middle-school/high-school youth chamber music program in the summers, which draws some students from that area.
Edited: January 31, 2018, 10:01 PM · Cool. What's the summer program called?
January 31, 2018, 10:05 PM · Montgomery Philharmonic Youth Chamber Music Festival: LINK

2018 info will get posted online in the spring. (We also usually send it out to public-school orchestra directors.) It's free.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings