Good Luthier in Paris

January 23, 2018, 12:57 AM · Could anyone recommend a good luthier in Paris. I will be there next month and I would like to take my violin for check up.

Replies (8)

Edited: January 23, 2018, 4:27 AM · "My" luthier is Bernard Sabatier, 45 rue de Rome, but there are a dozen others in the same street!

40 years ago I took my viola d'amore to another shop for repairs, to be told by a snooty receptionist "we only do professional instruments."
My French wasn't up to giving a suitably cutting reply, so I tried next door. M.Sabatier was building a viola d'amore, and so was interested in mine.

He is a creative spirit, with an excellent team in the workshop.

January 23, 2018, 5:52 AM ·

"we only do professional instruments."

Ha ha ha ........Now that's funny.

Edited: January 24, 2018, 11:17 PM · Next time, Adrian, you can try: "La classe c'est ne pas de l'eau".
February 4, 2018, 3:05 AM · Stephan von Baehr is located in Paris. He has a very good reputation.
February 4, 2018, 5:50 AM · You can always book an appointment with Vatelot-Rampal, still one of the most well reputed and famous ateliers in the world (If in Berlin try my usual go-to Kogge-Gateau).
Edited: February 4, 2018, 10:45 AM · Hi Adrian, do you still play that viola d'amore? Or any other renaissance-era instruments? I would love to find some Early Music enthusiasts I can talk with!

I have a lira da braccio and have collected all the internet links I can find to makers of viols. I intend to get a viola da gamba one year soon. Another instrument I will slowly (and badly?) teach myself to play.

The only players of period instruments around me all seem to be of the Yale School of Music caliber, very highly skilled and erudite --they are polite and even cordial with me when I approach from the audience after a performance, but oh how I wish I could find some adult-learners who, like me, are ordinary work-a-day people with a job and a kid.

February 4, 2018, 12:03 PM · Bernard Sabatier gave me the best sound adjustment I've ever had, in five minutes. When I walked in, no appointment, I tried to explain in French that I may not be able to discuss luthier stuff in French. He replied, in English, "Nobody's perfect!" The visit was totally satisfactory and pleasant.
February 11, 2018, 12:56 PM · My new viola from M. Sabatier is inspired by Gasparo's so-called "lyra viola" in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, UK. Like the lira da braccio, it has a recessed button, only two corners (on the lower bouts), almost no waistline (like me), and wide but rounded shoulders. Apart from that it is a real viola, with a deep contralto tone.

Ann Cole (US) make a similar model.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings