Easy Beginner Classical Pieces

January 21, 2018, 5:31 PM · Hi all.
I am teaching my aunt how to play. She`d like to learn both fiddle music and classical, but I`m having troubles finding super easy classical pieces suitable for a beginner of three months. Fiddle is no problem (most of them are easy). But many on the lists of beginner tunes are pop and rock songs.
Canon in D is supposed to be beginner-friendly, but it goes higher up on the fingerboard and that`s supposed to be an advanced technique. Beside that, I don`t think my aunt can handle new notes. She`s just memorized the ones in first position.
How easy is Brahms Waltz? I thought of perhaps learning the accompaniment, and teaching her the solo.
PS. What is an easy way to explain the difference between natural, sharp, and flat notes? I was thinking of using the tire illustration, but I`m not sure that would work.
Thanks.

Replies (7)

January 21, 2018, 7:47 PM · The arrangement in Suzuki book 2 is easy enough. I highly recommend Suzuki books 1 and 2 for beginner classical literature.
January 21, 2018, 10:18 PM · The Brahms Waltz in Suzuki book 2 is easy enough for someone who has some experience but it has slurs over string crossings and that is not all that easy for a rank beginner.

I agree about the Suzuki books but I would start with book 1 and not try to tackle pieces in book 2 until the book 1 pieces (with the exception of Gossec Gavotte) can be played. Gossec Gavotte is quite a bit harder than the first several pieces in book 2.

January 22, 2018, 1:27 AM · There's a book, aptly titled Classical pieces.
https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Pieces-Violin-Piano-Rompaey/dp/B009LMCINU

Arrangements of well known classical melodies, although not originally written for violin. Comes with piano accompaniment and play-along CD.

January 22, 2018, 11:37 AM · You might take a look at:

Old Masters for Young Players arranged by Alfred Moffat (Schott) or

First Solo Pieces for Violin and Piano edited by Cecily Lambert & Sydney Robjohns? (Schott)

January 23, 2018, 2:44 PM · You can adapt canon for first position only. It is no big deal and works fine. As for other classicals, you can try ode an die Freude,Brams lulaby, the entretainer and many others.
January 23, 2018, 2:58 PM · Auntie must be a really fast student if The Entertainer and Canon in D (minus 3rd position) are within reach after three months...
Edited: January 23, 2018, 6:58 PM · Han has the right idea: Compliations of arrangements will be your best value.

I recommend a book called "Violin Music The Whole World Loves" by Herfurth C. Paul and Strietel Edward. I had it as a child of 7 years (that's a long time ago now) but it's still in print. Amazon has it. Great selection of pieces. Not really "classical" pieces but mostly folk songs, Stephen Foster tunes, "Volga Boatmen", Americana, etc. She's going to love it, and for under $15 it's hard to go wrong. Comes with piano accomp.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings