Any experiences with this case

Edited: January 16, 2018, 4:16 AM · Hello,

I am looking for the new violin case, I don't have budget for superb and very expensive one. Really some of them are much more expensive than my violin :).

I absolutely love the design of Gewa Bio Violincase 4/4 GY MP/SH, and I would like to buy one. Do you have any personal experiences with this line? (Love the texture and greyness of this one :)).

Thanks

P.S. I forget to say that actually I have my case just for the storage and once a week I walk 500 meters to my teacher's lesson, that is all transport.

Replies (10)

January 16, 2018, 4:03 AM · This model fared well in a compression test carried out by the Milan Polytechnic University. The flexibility of the shell was offset by the abundant bridge clearance inside. The bows are rather close to the instrument, however, requiring use of a padded blanket (not supplied, at least on our example).
January 16, 2018, 4:18 AM · Hello, thanks for quick tips and infos. I will try to have a chance to try or look on it. But in my country it is not available now. I must order them from Germany, if I don't want much more expensive BAM or the cheapest student case from foam for 50bucks.
January 16, 2018, 4:23 AM · @ Dimitri Musafia - these tips are great for me, thanks for them. I really want to replace my student xyz case from Stagg, which become to decompose
Edited: January 16, 2018, 8:57 PM · I recently bought a Gewa air case. It is very nice quality, but I miss having a subway strap, and I wish that it maybe had another closure. That being said, I travel with it every day, I go shopping with it, and I fly with it.

If your instrument is low quality, it might not be worth it to buy the Gewa, especially if you mainly use your case for storage. There are many cheaper cases that still provide protection for the instrument. I loved my Pedi case for years (I had to get rid of it because it kept moving my bridge), and I know many people with BAMs (which can be cheaper with great quality).

Edited: January 17, 2018, 1:21 AM · @ Hannah Martin -
Thanks for tips, I wrote it badly it is not so low quality, it is Karl Hammerschmidt made in my country (Czech republic around 1910), it is typical german violin style from 19th century. It is my precious instrument and I am proud on it. But commission price was 2 000 USD, in my country is higher price than in US, we can buy a lot more things to this amount of money (beer costs here less than 1 dollar but I am not drinking beer :)), but it is not the cheapest instrument and I love it. But some cases are too expensive for me now, so I prefer to buy better bow than case from BAM for 1 200usd (for example).

EDIT:

Oh I see Bam Stylus. It is same price like Gewa, so another need to choose :) Gewa is much more better design (yes the design and look is important for me :)), but I prefer quality than look of course

I don't want cheap stuff, I am looking for the middle price, something nice, comfortable and good quality, but not cost me a fortune. I am looking for Pedi case (I must still buy from abroad), and it is higher price than that Gewa I chose :).

I love the space inside Gewa, Bam is too much shaped, and biggers are 2x or 3x higher price than Gewa. Do you know some Bam product, that is cheaper?

Edited: January 17, 2018, 10:33 AM · Dimitri Musafia's words about the case are impressive considering his reputation as one of the finest case makers today - and especially considering that this case is relatively inexpensive.

I notice the Gewa Bio Violincase 4/4 GY MP/SH appears to have 4 latches and I wonder why. As a cellist with several cello cases - I am aware that the difference between 8 latches and 5 on a cello case can be annoying - perhaps not so much on a violin case that does not have to be tilted this way and that to get to all the latches.

And again - THE LATCHES - Latches can be real SCRATCH traps on a violin case. If the latches are metal or have any sharp edges and if the bottom part extends higher than the case lip it is going to scratch the back of your violin on insertion or removal - maybe not today or tomorrow - but someday. The only way to avoid it is to have a blanket (as Dimitri recommends) but one that attaches (permanently or semi-permanently) to the front interior of the case so that it covers the latches when the case open to remove the instrument.

The importance of latch design can be easily ignored when considering a case purchase. People worry about crush protection and how the top of a case yields under force (pressure) but if the latch fails a crush-proof top just becomes a piston driving the bridge through the top. I had a friend who forgot that her cheap early 20th century violin case (with the weak latch typical of such cases) was sitting atop the trunk of her car as she backed down her driveway. The case slid off the trunk and was crushed - as was the decent violin within - her Otto Hoyer bow survived. No one expects this kind of accident - but they do occur. Fortunately her violin was insured and she was able to use the $25,000 insurance payment to purchase a decently restored Vincenzo Panormo (I think from his Dublin period - you can check out Panormo's interesting life in the January 2018 issue of STRINGS magazine).

Musafia uses a great latch desigh that I think provides at least one extra layer of protection to his fine cases. I suspect it is patented - otherwise there would be no reason for every case not to use this design.

The other "side" of case strength is the cover hinge - if it fails the result will likely be the same as if the latch fails. I have 3 "classic" Jaeger cases and the hinge connection to the body has failed on one - that ain't so good for such a costly case - and that was under normal use.

January 17, 2018, 11:42 AM · I always add an internal ribbon to stop the lid opening to the point of straining the hinges.
January 17, 2018, 9:52 PM · Andrew, those extra latches on that particular model GEWA bio case are for attaching an accessory music pocket, designed specifically for it. Only two latches are used to hold the case closed.

There's another oblong case in the GEWA bio series that's simpler and lacks the music pocket feature, as well as the subway handle. I have one of those, purchased for my Yamaha YEV, and it's a satisfactory design. I really wanted the shaped model, but it seemed to be out of stock everywhere at the time and the price was right for the oblong. I usually have a preference for shaped cases.

January 18, 2018, 6:57 AM · @Andrew Victor

Hello Andrew, again thanks for great tips! Yeah I am glad for Dimitri's suggestions, he is expert in that field, I know.

These latches are only 2. Bigger problem I see, as Dimitri wrote and I didn't realize before, is that thing to hold the bow, it is absolutely over the violin. In my old case it was on the side, but I am using a cover, I am used to use it.

I am not transporting my violin these days. So I need a safe storage at home and ocasionaly transportation.

@Mark - thanks for tips, do you have problem with these bow mounts? I don't prefer shaped because I would like to have more space inside, I have shaped now. My wife loves shaped.

January 20, 2018, 11:52 PM · Funny how the prices are so different in different countries!

In my region of the US, Pedi cases are actually much cheaper than Gewas, and BAMs are usually cheaper than Gewas. So my advice based on price is probably not very useful.

As to the latches, I have been very happy with the Gewa. They don't reach over the edge of the case and they seem to be very sturdy. I have a hard time seeing them scratch an instrument, but I already wrap my violin in silk anyway.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings