Kennedy Breaks Arm In Bike Accident

October 25, 2006 at 04:42 AM · Nigel Kennedy is reported to have broken his arm in a bicycle accident in London. His press representatives would confirm only that he had "suffered injury to his left arm in an accident" and would be unable to concertize in the immediate future. Doctors have told him not to use "the damaged limb for six weeks -- at which point there will be a progress assessment.”

full article: http://www.musicalamerica.com/news/newsstory.cfm?archived=0&storyid=14824&categoryid=2&cookies=1

Replies (27)

October 25, 2006 at 05:39 AM · Aggh! That sucks...it's his left arm! I hope he doesn't get muscle deterioration too bad in his cast. :( :( :( :(. I broke my right wrist this summer and that was a nightmare, but then again I'm not Nigel Kennedy. AHH muscle deterioration!!!! He'll be as good as new soon enough! (I hope)

October 26, 2006 at 08:10 PM · my best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

October 26, 2006 at 10:59 PM · Ouch! Good grief! Get well soon Kennedy!! :(

October 26, 2006 at 11:22 PM · Get well man

IG

October 27, 2006 at 01:34 AM · Greetings,

Maura, I think he prefers Nige. Too many Kennedy`s got assasinated.

Cheers,

Buri

October 27, 2006 at 11:34 AM · Get well soon...:)

AN

PS:He isn't assisinated....is he??;)

October 28, 2006 at 03:36 AM · That's no fun! I wish him well and a speedy recovery. I was nearly driven mad when I broke my arm and couldn't play for a couple of months.

October 28, 2006 at 04:27 AM · Ouch. Bummer.

October 29, 2006 at 06:50 AM · Oh crap! That's terrible. I was just listening to and admiring his Sibelius recording today. I love the way he thinks and how he writes his liner notes.

Preston

October 29, 2006 at 08:32 AM · I read his book.

Sucks about his arm.

October 29, 2006 at 05:49 PM · Awww, I love his "Classic Kennedy" and "Kreisler" albums. I hope he recovers quickly!

October 29, 2006 at 05:55 PM · Hi,

Get well Mr. Kennedy!

Cheers!

October 29, 2006 at 06:35 PM · Yo Nige,

Feel better and get well soon.

October 29, 2006 at 07:17 PM · have you guys heard his "East meets East" album, with that Polish folk band? Kind of cheesy crossover, but I love it anyway. :)

October 29, 2006 at 09:14 PM · kroke? yeah, i liked it. it's different.

nigel is a wild and crazy character but his bartok solo sonata is my favourite recording of that piece.

October 29, 2006 at 10:03 PM · Was the bike alright?

Seriously, bad luck and I appreciate Nige's nerve and resolution in tackling London traffic. I'm a keen cyclist myself and every day I read forum accounts of people being cut up in London, or worse, it's grim.

October 30, 2006 at 12:48 PM · My wife is a long-time Paramedic with the Chicago Fire Department. She has told me for years that usually the people hurt worst in traffic accidents are either not wearing a seatbelt or are on any kind of bike (with or without a helmet). She says her fellow paramedics refer to people who ride motorcycles as "organ donors."

FYI. Sandy

October 30, 2006 at 02:50 PM · wow that sucks

October 31, 2006 at 04:51 AM · Yay, 6 weeks to catch up to Kennedy's level of playing! doubtful

But seriously, hope he recovers. absolutely love his fresh interpretations of so many pieces.

November 1, 2006 at 11:58 AM · Get well soon, Nigel !

best

Audrey

November 2, 2006 at 03:58 AM · Nigel,

You shouldn't ride your bike while holding your violin case. This could cause an accident. Anyway, you can always take up the CHROMATIC HARMONICA while waiting for the arm to heal. It's a wonderful sounding instrument.

November 2, 2006 at 10:28 AM · Kennedy curse running out of victims. Forced to extend malevolence to unrelated people.

November 4, 2006 at 07:05 AM · An interesting injury....

I'm also a keen sportsman, race a Jaguar on circuits, regularly test and modify race cars as another career, love extreme skiing and race biking.

The only serious injuries I had were biking, and it was my left arm (right one too)!!

One was a double mega sprain,(in fact to both arms!) causing damage to the ligaments in the upper arms,- had to readapt technique,-but was better after.

Another,-

I broke a 4th finger and it took forever to reacquire dexterity again. So don't count on a swift recovery from any form of arm damage!

Having said that I never had any injury from any form of more "dangerous" sports, and Michelangeli was also known for doing similar things.....including being a good quick driver.

So London traffic is frankly peanuts!

November 4, 2006 at 08:49 AM · Greetings,

>and Michelangeli was also known for doing similar things.....including being a good quick driver.

He did fall off the roof of the Sistene Chapel a few times though...

Cheers,

Buri

November 4, 2006 at 01:49 PM · Buri: We're getting confused here with 3 guys:

- Michelangeli the pianist

- Michaelangelo the painter

- Michael Angelo, a guy I know who is also a painter (he paints houses) and rides bikes

:) Sandy

November 4, 2006 at 03:15 PM · Nige, get well soon, and leave your bike in the fitness center, OK?

November 4, 2006 at 09:44 PM · Mr. Kennedy: Sorry I failed to say this in my previous comments, but please get well soon. The world always has too many politicians and never enough great artists.

Cordially, Sandy Marcus

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe