Why The Violin?!

October 24, 2006 at 04:09 AM · with the advent of so much technology (in the past 100 years), why are we still drawn to this instrument?

Your thoughts and ideas...............

Replies (100)

October 24, 2006 at 04:48 AM · because of the music you play on it...

October 24, 2006 at 04:55 AM · Hi Gennady. Perhaps for the very fact of living in an increasingly technological world, many need to keep in touch with their humanity and even spirituality through these magic wooden boxes, which seem an extension of our own vocal cords.

October 24, 2006 at 04:48 AM · Technological innovations tend to be aimed at improving the automation, speed, and/or ease of a given task. Unlike industries such as retail or auto production, in music these goals are not necessarily desirable. Automation, certainly, removes the very essence of music; who wants to listen to a piece produced by a computer that is perfectly in tempo with completely regular vibrato? As for speed and ease, there is something deeply satisfying about mastering (or striving to master) such a difficult instrument. Perhaps those who take shortcuts to producing the sound of a violin (through a synthesizer or whatever) miss the opportunity to develop the musicality that comes from hours and hours of work.

I think technology has contributed and will continue to contribute to the music industry in many ways, such as improving the quality of recordings and disseminating music to those who might otherwise not get to experience it. But playing the violin will always be an art, not a science, and I believe that at least in the foreseeable future, no computer will ever replace the work of a talented human.

October 24, 2006 at 05:39 AM · David O.

To play Devil's advocate, one could very well play the kazoo artistically too. But still, my question is, "Why the Violin"?

Perhaps you can extrapolate further your own experience and thoughts on the matter.......

October 24, 2006 at 07:21 AM · The violin in a way reminds me of chess.

October 24, 2006 at 08:29 AM · I think there is something inherently fascinating in being able to translate moving fingers, drawing a stick across strings or blowing etc. into beautiful sounds that are music.

Maybe you could also ask, why any traditional musical instrument? My daughter heard the clarinet and never wanted to play anything else; & the same for another friend of hers who, at the age 8, absolutely insisted on a bassoon and nothing else would do.

October 24, 2006 at 08:47 AM · Only the violin does it for me. Not the clarinet or the flute or the trumpet. Why?

Yikes, I don't know. I think it might have something to do with the bow.

There is something about the way the notes are articulated, the actual physical, textural quality of the notes, that does it for me. I also love the harmonic quality of the instrument. It is hard to put into words.

And the music written for it is tops.

October 24, 2006 at 09:13 AM · to parmeeta bhogal,

With all due respect, my specific question is not: why music - but "Why The Violin"?

afterall this is not clarinetist.com or flutist.com :)

what mysterious forces draw us to this beloved instrument (the VIOLIN) ? and why (in your opinion) ?

October 24, 2006 at 09:22 AM · Why did you marry the person you did? For me, the personality, the appearance, the uniqueness, just made me happy when I am around. Same with violin. No one particulare thing, the culmination of several different feelings.

October 24, 2006 at 10:08 AM · I play keyboards, cello, trumpet, accordion (badly) guitars, bass, & drums. I also sing professionally and am a voice teacher..

Hands-down, my favorite instrument is the violin. Guitar comes close, but for different reasons. I am very aware of why I prefer the violin: Of all the instruments I play, it is the closest to the human voice. Not only is it physically close to the voice apparatus, but the depth of expression is similar. Posture is similar as well.

Not inconsequentially, I found many of my vocal techniques and skills helped me develop my violin playing at an accellerated rate. There are MANY similarities.

Oh I just love it.....

October 24, 2006 at 10:20 AM · In order to develop the kind of voice I always wanted to have. I would have liked to have been a good singer, but recognised that although I had a reasonable ear for music, my singing voice was a bit feeble. Playing the violin allows me a better tone with more expression, better volume control, plus a wider dynamic range (and I'm not even a good violin player!) There is always the advantage that, finances permitting, if I want another voice, the instrument can be changed.

Other instruments I enjoy are bagpipes and mizmars (droners), banjos and kanouns (because they are 'plinky'),flutes and neys, chunky piano chords and even electronic synthesised metallic percussion. But the violin is the most human, and has the ooo factor.

October 24, 2006 at 10:37 AM · Perfect intonation has a particularly exciting effect on violin and the other bowed strings. The tone gets a glow into it (like the voice).

Allan, I also am fond of accordion. And Alison, I also like bagpipes, too (sorry Gennady for non-violin bit).

Funnily enough, and a strange thing perhaps, I've seen photos of Heifetz playing both!

October 24, 2006 at 01:34 PM · Raphael--

I think you said it exquisitely--these magic wooden boxes. We can pour our hearts and dreams into them and evoke great beauty.

October 24, 2006 at 02:09 PM · For me: the sound. Plain and simple.

October 24, 2006 at 02:04 PM · because violin makes me cry.

October 24, 2006 at 02:23 PM · For the tactile sensation of the neck, fingerboard, strings, and shoulder; the fascinating slide and rub of the bow. For the sheer athleticism of the repertoire. For its responsiveness and agility, its beautiful voice, its tremendous expressive range, and its physical intimacy. Even for its sensitive (and sometimes fussy) temperament. It requires more, but it gives more in return.

October 24, 2006 at 02:29 PM · Yikes Gennady, this question is going to drive me nuts--I'll be soul-searching all day. I like other instruments too: cello and viola of course, I love a well-played clarinet, piano is fantastic, and folk stuff like the balalaika, and cimbalom, is hard to beat. But the violin is the one that keeps me coming back...really weird when you think about it--what IS so special about this funny conglomeration of wood, gut and horsehair?!

October 24, 2006 at 02:58 PM · Just think. You can play a violin with not a single piece of metal involved in its structure or fittings. That's pretty organic. (I'm close, but have silver winding on the G).

October 24, 2006 at 03:05 PM · Gennady: What a great question, and what an interesting series of responses. I guess my answer is because it is a personal, emotional, unique, "human" voice that tells a story (in sound). And I literally get a visceral response when I hear it or play it - that is, I almost feel music physically, especially violin music. That's about as close as I've ever been able to get to describe it.

Cordially, Sandy

October 24, 2006 at 03:13 PM · As a one time violinist/still guitarist, if I had one thing to pin it down (which I don't like to do...greedy as I am), it would have to be the bow and the violin's proximity to the ear.

When you play the violin, you can literally hear the bow sweeping across the string, with all it's textures and nuances (according to the emotion you're expressing). That sound of the bow crossing the string and the way it stirs up and pushes the air out of the instrument, producing what is termed as a "note" is absolutely breathtaking.

I play electric guitar as well as classical. Have used many, many effects. Have one called an E-Bow which, they say, can sound like the violin. Well...all that's well and good. Lots of fun and can sound awesome. But it really doesn't hold a candle to the violin, IMHO.

October 24, 2006 at 03:25 PM · Amongst all classical instruments, indeed amongst all instruments except the piano perhaps, the violin has the longest tradition, the longest history, the richest repertoire (be it orchestral, solo, chamber, even rock or country or folk). It also has a broader range of expressive tones than most (contrast it with wind instruments, percussion instruments). It expresses emotions that are fundamental and common to all people, and fills an expressive void which is not filled with technology.

Unlike the piano, it is easily portable. The piano does admittedly have the benefit of being able to play harmony, melody, and inner voices all at once with greater ease than the violin.

Anthropologists often comment that simpler societies (aborigines in Australia, tribal bushmen in Africa) have lives that are arguably happier than ours. They have strong family ties, are tied to the ground more, interact with others in more meaningful ways, enjoy nature in a more organic way.

Of course, the downside to living in a simpler society is you only get to live to 30-40 years old. And the things you are missing (? Big question mark ?) are all of the intellectual and cultural advances that western society brings, along with its baggage.

Technology, and tech music, generally do not touch on the same range and types of emotions that can be expressed with the violin, or other acoustic instrument.

The violin is one of the most historically deep, culturally rich, and broadly expressive of all instruments. Its music is a way of engaging some of those simpler, basic, important things in life that don’t get expressed in our everyday lives on a regular basis otherwise. At the same time, it expresses these things in the context of western society, our context.

October 24, 2006 at 03:51 PM · Hi Gennady,

I think about this question every day.

The wrapper around my Pirastro E string says "I'm so happy I can't stop playing!" Yes.

October 24, 2006 at 04:00 PM · Perhaps because of the wide range of sounds and moods you can produce with it, certainly wider than any non-string insturment.

October 24, 2006 at 04:32 PM · The sound of the instrument, and the sound of music written for violin on a violin. Just like we violinists are drawn to the violin's sound for (often times) no apparent reason, cellists are drawn to the cello, pianists to the piano, and baroque violinists to the baroque violin. I know plenty of people who hate the loud, high, screetchy sound of a violin. I'd be surprised if someone could actually describe in a very concret and exact way why they like the sonic qualities the violin produces... I know I can't. I just like it, much like the rest of you. It's kinda like one person liking asparagus, and one person not liking asparagus, or one person being attracted to tall people, and the other attracted only to brown haired people. Could you describe why you don't like certain foods or why you're attracted to whatever you're attracted to? I know I can't.

October 24, 2006 at 04:57 PM · Thanks for the comments....Keep it coming :)

An American violin professor wrote (a very long time ago):

"The violin justly ranks as the "KING" of instruments. It is capable of a very great variety of expression, and is the most perfect model for the tones of the female voice. This instrument is very simple in its form and mechanism; and this simplicity makes it more difficult than almost any other."

BTW, it is OK to say that it just tickles your fancy................etc. etc.

October 24, 2006 at 05:04 PM · I like the pipe organ (the KING of instruments) as much as I like the violin (the QUEEN?) Unfortunately, I can't get to play on an organ without getting into great hassle.

October 24, 2006 at 05:07 PM · organs are amazing.

October 24, 2006 at 05:09 PM · From Terry Hsu:

"...Unlike the piano, it is easily portable. The piano does admittedly have the benefit of being able to play harmony, melody, and inner voices all at once with greater ease than the violin...."

One of the reasons I chose to concentrate on the guitar (besides the fact that I'd been playing it for a long time prior to the violin), is that it has many of the qualities of the piano and it's portable, as well. I also like the sound of the finger to the string and how you can alter the "attack", etc. The violin bow takes that a step further with the taper and alterations during the sustain. Really something.

There are some really nice postings on this thread.

October 24, 2006 at 05:23 PM · &Kevin Bill,

but what is it that draws you to this site (VIOLINIST.COM) to discuss pipe organ........?!

October 24, 2006 at 05:44 PM · It's you Gennady. You inspire us to wax poetical on all things music:-)

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

(Now to preserve posts, here is my serious post).

Would I have loved the violin had I not played it starting in 4th grade? That is a very good question.

Why did I pick the violin in 4th grade? Did I pick it? I don't remember! I do remember picking the guitar at the same time. I learned it then, too. But I continued the fiddle for quite some time. I came to appreciate the sound even more. I came to be proud of the music that I knew about.

But would I have liked it anyway?

I suspect yes. Why? Because I like so many instruments. I go through periods of Cello Fascination and Piano Contempt. Only to be brought around to Piano Infatuation after hearing Rach hinmself on the radio (what a GOD of piano composition AND play!).

I love the variegated sounds of the Latin American Plucked Strings Diaspora.

Sometimes flute. Kena.

Bassoon.

I pick up the kena or recorder and get into improv for some weeks.

Trumped and Brass. Oh what a majestic, yet warm, yet cutting sound! god I love classic chicago Brass.

Eddie van Halen. Holy Cow.

So I think the violin is something I like because I like music, but especially because I like handmade, expressive music. The fiddle is extraordinary in its range of expression.

The specifics:

E string: for me the usually unattanable clarity. Almost like a flute at that range. Pierceing, pure, clear, defined. It cuts through all around and elevates.

A string: Almost like the e, but lower. A lot of clarity still, but some meat on the open a. A warm but swwt sound.

D string: The Enigma. Low but not low enough. Gutty. Gravelly. Tenor in character. Almost but not quite bass to the E. Rather darker than the a. A hint of what to come, but only a shadow. The most challenging string to make soound really good.

G. Rich. Thick. Gritty. Smooth. Grainy. Gravelly. Silky. Stretchy. Low and High. Bass. Double-toned. Alive. Warm and Dark. Voluptuous. Assertive.

G against E: (Sarasate!)

Oh my god epiphany!

October 24, 2006 at 05:33 PM · gee...you gonna make me blush now:)

October 24, 2006 at 05:37 PM · >I guess my answer is because it is a personal, emotional, unique, "human" voice that tells a story (in sound). And I literally get a visceral response when I hear it or play it - that is, I almost feel music physically, especially violin music.

Ditto what Sandy said...

October 24, 2006 at 07:01 PM · that's cool Terez, but what do you say in your own words?...............:)

October 24, 2006 at 08:43 PM · Violin is most unpredictable, complex, and multi-layered and analog. Everything from the tone, tune, pitch, timbre, speed, vibrato intensity, bow pressure, ... cover all gradations of continuity. It is the opposite of binary, off/on, black/white, computer and mechanical world that we live in today. It is everything about shades of grey, degrees of meaningfulness, undertones, overtones, a rainbow of colors and sounds. Add to that, there is the repertoire of works from Baroque to modern, virtuostic technique to simple tunes, and never ever being the same no matter how many times you play it. You never cross the same stream twice, the water flowing continuously changes at any point. And then, there is the magic of the violin body and bow itself. No two are ever the same. No matter if they are made by the same master at the same time, no two pieces of wood are the same, and they do not respond the same. Each violin is definitely an individual, like each human being, (even identical twins have their own personality). So it is with each violin. You can spend your lifetime getting to know a particular violin. And like children, spouse or friends, you will never truly understand it or master what makes it work or respond to you. So a violin is full of surprises. Then their is the sheer technical challenge. It is like you can go forever and ever, and there is ever more challenge. No one can ever master a violin, not in this lifetime. A violin transcends human life, it and the music lives beyond what one can ever attain to. And it will soon be played by a different person and respond differently and again be explored and developed, like peeling layers and layers, each discoverying something new and never experienced before.

October 24, 2006 at 09:06 PM · Simple--it's the most passionate instrument for one who tries to play it as such. I'm multi-instrument, 1st = piano, and literally started playing by accident--truly. (walked into a music store for guitar strings, went home with beginner's violin set).

Little did I realize what I had done. I fell so completely and deeply in love with violin that it's embarrassing. Within 6 mos, I was doing hammed up street gigs raising money for hurricane Katrina, and this past July did my first wedding.

For me, being intimately close to the resonance, and kinetically involved with it's production, is especially rewarding. I use to open up the piano and could literally feel the music emmanating from the strings. Violin simply get's one into the action as no other instrument--perhaps excepting guitar--I agree with the other poster.

Sometimes when I'm playing, and get it right, I simply have to stop because it literally overwhelms me--it's God awful beautiful. I had this experience last night playing Gounod/Bach's Ave.

Then I started listening to London Symphony (can't remember the violinst) doing Paganini Conerto uno, and that pretty much did me in....

Then I started dueling with the good Lord (remember, I'm a beginner), and let him know that I might not ever be able to do 'that' but I can do 'this' and proceeded to pick up my violin, turn on my recorded accompaniement on piano, and played Ave again., as no other time. Then it was 3am, and I collapsed, exhausted, on the floor beside the bed where the violin sleeps.

This is why people love violin!. al

October 24, 2006 at 09:25 PM · keep it coming............that is awesome!

Yes that's what it's all about.

October 25, 2006 at 02:14 AM · Because I like a challenge..

October 25, 2006 at 02:17 AM · Rafe,

But a challenge can mean running a 25 mile marathon in Nepal or the South Bronx.....?????????

Can you be more specific?

October 25, 2006 at 02:21 AM · It's an instrument that can produce amazing works and a beautiful tone, and you can always improve at it with hard work and dedication. Life is a lot more interesting when you have a passion for something as well.

October 25, 2006 at 03:11 AM · More specific? 26.2.

;)

October 25, 2006 at 03:12 AM · Okay, it must come down to the sound. I can't think of any other way to produce that specific sound. Now, why I love that sound in particular, I can't say.

October 25, 2006 at 03:19 AM · Hi Emily,

How about saying:

"The rush I felt was indescribable that first time I picked up the the bow to the strings (and the day had been fantastic up until then), this was the day I fell in Love with the Violin/The Beast." ??!! maybe?

October 25, 2006 at 03:18 AM · A beautiful violin is so exquisite. Its cut-through the crowd voice echoes that of the (wo)men ahead of their time or that of idealists, such as Don Quixote. Its mellow sound, its petite size and the way to play it invite/murmur intimacy.

Why violin? Why not violin!

October 25, 2006 at 05:20 AM · It has the best of sounds, the worst of sounds.

October 25, 2006 at 06:01 AM · You might not want to live without your violin but you couldn't live without electronic devices. So the reason it touches you instead of some electronic device is because you're ingrates:)

October 25, 2006 at 06:54 AM · It would be untrue to say it was love at first sight. It would be untrue to say that no others have held my interest. It would be untrue to say I don't enjoy other sounds. I'm rather unromantic, actually.

Although, I do think that I am able to personalize the voice of my violin to better express myself than I could on any other instrument I've tried.

October 25, 2006 at 09:04 AM · In response to the second part of Gennady's question, why not some electronic device? As Clare said, the violin is analogue, not digital, so subtleties like highish 7ths, lowish 3rds, and even quarter tones (if I ever could play them, God willing) are there for the taking, and can be used for music from any culture.

And then there is respect given (in my mind anyway) for the degree of technical mastery required to just play.

Are you impressed by the fact that the Germanic electronic band Kraftwerk (whose music I enjoy) were able to preprogram their instruments, then go to the pub while their album was recorded? I'm not. This is so detached it isn't cool, it is just cold.

There is the physical aspect to playing, the fact that you take the instrument in your arms (and the Spanish verb for playing a musical instrument is tocar - touch). Violin music touches people more than any electronic device ever could.

October 25, 2006 at 09:37 AM · "Violin music touches people more than any electronic device ever could."

Nope.

October 25, 2006 at 10:00 AM · Fair enough Jim, if you mean that phones, emails, and even faxes allow human communication and interaction across thousands of miles, just thought in this context we were talking about music.

October 25, 2006 at 10:25 AM · Well, we are. I was stretching it but for a reason. Anyway, I think most instruments have a place where they're the most effective one.

October 25, 2006 at 12:31 PM · That brings up an interesting point. When it first came out (I stress that), Tomita's recordings of some of Debussy's pieces really touched me very deeply. The first three cuts of the LP, as I remember, were especially great.

But I don't think he was really trying to create the sound of a violin, or orchestra, for that matter. He was seriously into using the synthesizer, as an instrument unto itself, to create the pictures he had in mind.

I studied electronic music years ago. Pretty amazing. But, for me, it didn't have the direct physical relationship that I've found with the violin (and guitar for that matter). Be interesting to hear the take of someone who plays both piano and synth (and violin, if that's not asking too much).

October 25, 2006 at 01:22 PM · Emily,

"The violin in a way reminds me of chess. "

Wouldn't you agree it's more like Russian roulette at times???

LOL

Regards,

Peter

October 25, 2006 at 04:11 PM · Bob,

Funny you mention Tomita.........great player and a great guy.

I played some concerts with him in Japan some years ago.

Jim,

Since you pick on everyone for voicing their opinions about loving violin or music for that matter............I want to hear your reasons for coming to violinist.com.

What draws you to this site. Is it a love/hate relationship with the VIOLIN?

Do tell:..............

BTW, your comment "So the reason it touches you instead of some electronic device is because you're ingrates" misses the point of my question.

Personally I love electronic devices, but that is not the question of this thread. The question is still with the advent of all technology "WHY THE VIOLIN".......what mystrery draws us to this instrument.

The more varied comments the better.

October 25, 2006 at 05:24 PM · I don't have a cell phone or a palm pilot and I like violin.

October 25, 2006 at 07:12 PM · the violin draws me because it speaks to me. it really speaks to me! you know how they have those cars that tell you when they're low on gas? well, my violin speaks to me kinda like that - only with a hungarian accent.

October 25, 2006 at 07:35 PM · My violin speaks to me in a Transylvanian accent.

October 25, 2006 at 07:10 PM · In contrast to other instruments, one is modelling the sounds with both hands the whole time like a raw material. Each movement of the upper part of the body influences the sound, so while playing violin the complete body has to be balanced and focussed on the instrument forming a sound. You blow into an oboe, press the keys of a piano etc., but you ain't got the chances to sculpture a tone from the beginning to the end as with a violin or a cello. (Theoretically with a viola, too.)

October 25, 2006 at 07:56 PM · My violin speaks to me in a quite impolite Russian accent.

October 25, 2006 at 09:34 PM · Thanks for your honesty Jim..........:)

October 25, 2006 at 10:35 PM · Greetings,

I`ve often wonderdered why the label on mine reads nekulturny 1997

Cheers,

Buri

October 25, 2006 at 10:57 PM · do you know what that means?

If not let me know.

October 26, 2006 at 12:15 AM · Greetings,

yep.

Brevity

October 26, 2006 at 09:25 AM · Buri,

I love your sense of humour ! Hope your violin is learning all the time !

BTW does Buri mean the God or a palm tree ?!

October 26, 2006 at 10:05 AM · chuckle

October 26, 2006 at 10:20 AM · The violin is so beautiful in every way.

And it's amazing that you can take a scratchy screaming instrument like that and make it sing, and oh how it sings!

it can sing songs of joy and songs of sorrow in a way that no other instrument can do.

October 26, 2006 at 08:46 PM · The feeling when playing the violin.

October 26, 2006 at 11:09 PM · Buri, "nekulturny" actually means "uncultured!" :)

My violin speaks with a Hungarian accent too--but he swears in Russian and Czech. :) And on that note, he's yelling at me to go finish practicing...

October 27, 2006 at 01:35 AM · Greetings,

yes, that was the point of the joke.

Cheers,

Balilaika

October 27, 2006 at 02:03 AM · you speak Russian?!

October 27, 2006 at 03:04 AM · Greetings,

no,

nostrovia,

Buri

October 27, 2006 at 09:18 PM · BTW Buri,

It is more like "Na Zdorovye" = to Good Health

October 27, 2006 at 09:19 PM · Gena,

to be entirely correct it is "Za zdorov'e"

Love

IG

October 27, 2006 at 10:06 PM · true but when we "toast",

we say "Na Zdorovya"...........

and in English direct translation : "on good health" - doesn't quite make it does it? :)

October 27, 2006 at 10:11 PM · Gena,

za zdorov'e has an almost direct translation in Spanish. "Salud!"

And it's still not "NA zdorov'e", especially when you toast. But never mind.

IG

October 27, 2006 at 10:39 PM · Ilyush,

At least in Odessa, we say "Na Zdorovya" when we toast. And the many Russian parties I've been to, everyone has said "Na Zdorovya" when they raised their Vodka glasses, but either one will do.

October 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM · both of you should be happy that any of you are coherent enough to even be conscious of what you're saying before you down another.

October 27, 2006 at 10:47 PM · Gena,

Odessa is a different country, remember?:)

IG

October 27, 2006 at 10:55 PM · Odessa deffinitely has its own very distinct history of humor.

BTW Ilyusha,

what do you say to the question above?

Why The Violin?

October 27, 2006 at 11:12 PM · Gena,

No idea. If my Dad took the five-year-old me by the hand to the judo class, and I had turned out to be responsive, I would be a touring judo wrestler now. who knows?

IG

October 27, 2006 at 11:42 PM · I envision you as much more along the lines of a figure skater. Scratch that... ice dancing.

October 27, 2006 at 11:50 PM · N/m just gotta be too quick on the post here.

October 28, 2006 at 12:21 AM · Pieter and Ilya, an ice dancing team? :) No no--scratch that...

Na zdorov'ye, rebyata! :)

October 28, 2006 at 01:17 AM · Ilyush,

But if the question is posed as more of a personal one, what was it that made you fall in love (or lust) with the VIOLIN.........what was it?.......and what keeps you in the game?

October 28, 2006 at 01:31 AM · Gena,

It's always personal with you, isn't it?:) You know there are people, that even if they are good at something are always looking for more in other fields? Well, I was never one of those...Hope that explains it. I can not say that I prefer violin to piano or cello, I just don't happen to be able to play the other two well enough to derive any pleasure from it, I guess?

IG

October 28, 2006 at 01:44 AM · I guess we'll take that answer as your unconditional lust for the violin at an early age, and you haven't looked back since...........

(what do you think?)

October 28, 2006 at 01:48 AM · No Gena, that's not what I meant. Besides, I never had lust for inanimate objects...

IG

October 28, 2006 at 02:02 AM · so make it/up your own (but juicy please).........

BTW, how old were you when you left Russia?

October 28, 2006 at 02:11 AM · i was 17. But these days I spend more time there than in the States...

IG

October 28, 2006 at 03:08 AM · Przepraszam,... and if I may avert to the original question regarding the violin's addictive charm...it would be remiss to not mention that the most brilliant musical minds were also "taken" and wrote the finest literature for violin, thus leaving this vast legacy, and with the advent of technology, it has merely made it more convenient to hear all these wondrous pieces...and to be able to duplicate them yourself is the goal of us all.

If magic could be explained, it would certainly fade quickly...Najlepsze zyczenia !

October 28, 2006 at 03:51 AM · Isn't imagination more important than knowledge?

Isn't it in our inquisitive nature into the unknown that leads us towards new discoveries?

Therefore, understanding the many reasons of "something" can be invaluable.

This question most certainly affects us all in very different ways.

And to see the variety of posts, is refreshing and enlightening.

October 28, 2006 at 05:07 AM · I only recently became really entranced by this instrument. I'd played with negligible interest for many years, but something always kept me from quitting. Performing is such a great aesthetic, as the human experience, the soul of the work is experienced simultaneously with the creation, right in front of you, if you are in the audience that is. That's what sets it apart from the other arts, in my opinion.

To be able to shape every note, I think an able performer has the most capacity to show their own personality because the nature of the violin.

October 28, 2006 at 11:00 AM · Cheers !

http://www.awa.dk/glosary/slainte.htm

October 28, 2006 at 02:44 PM · The violin is very like a living thing; not that long ago its parts were trees. You wrap it in your arms, rest it over your heart, and try to coax it to sing in your ear. :) Sue

October 28, 2006 at 10:29 PM · has'nt anyone heard of an electric violin or MIDI synthesizers for electric violins.

October 28, 2006 at 10:30 PM · Yes, you've told us. How's it going becoming the Hendrix of the violin? :)

October 29, 2006 at 12:48 AM · Toni Furman,

Electric violin is fine.

It is still a VIOLIN though.

So what draws you to it??????...hopefully something deeper and more thought provoking than an electrical cord:)

October 29, 2006 at 01:05 AM · Electrical cords are deeper and more thought-provoking than you could ever dream of! For instance, the electricity flows outside the cord. Not in the cord!

Ok, what is your reason? I have reason to believe you hate the unfamiliar, and violin, etc., is familiar.

October 29, 2006 at 01:14 AM · Jim,

Sometimes I get the feeling you are holding the positive and negative (charges) with both hands when you are posting?!:\ LOL

October 29, 2006 at 01:14 AM · Shocking! :)

October 29, 2006 at 01:18 AM · Thank you all for such a variety of comments.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe