Realist Acoustic Violin Transducer

October 16, 2006 at 06:54 PM · Has anyone tried the Realist Acoustic Violin Transducer? I'm thinking of purchasing a pickup for my violin. I will only be using amplified violin occasionally, but this product is very attractive to me because it doesn't require a pre-amp, and still seemed relatively simple enough to install and remove from time to time. If I were to purchase a standard violin pickup, such as a Fishman, PLUS the pre-amp, it would come out to almost the same cost.

The Realist seems to be marketed as a "professional" pickup, and it has very positive reviews in the websites I've looked up. I'm a little bit concerned whether it could damage the varnish (what is the material of that piece that fits under the bridge feet?), and how much higher it will make the bridge, and whether there are any other concerns about whether it could damage the instrument. Since I'm not going to use it super often, though, I think I could stand playing on higher string action for a couple of hours a week.

Has anyone tried it? Can anyone comment on how easy it actually is to install/remove, how it sounds, and how it feels to play?

Thanks!

Replies (6)

October 16, 2006 at 08:28 PM · I have tried the Realist violin pickup and it is a good sounding unit. Being that it goes under the bridge feet it does mute the violin slightly.

It is more prone to feedback than over solutions such as LR Baggs. When I was using the Realist I found it raised the action high enough to annoy me so I had another bridge cut for that pickup. It does sound better with a preamp....a lot better. I went back to using the baggs bidge because it was moe immmune to feedback.

David B

October 16, 2006 at 08:51 PM · Have you thought of the Schertler DYN transducer? It’s a little more expensive but only takes a minute to put on and take off. If you are careful it shouldn’t damage the varnish. I’ve tended to put it on a little too hard and put some dings in varnish, but that was from the pickup not the putty. The sound is very natural. I don’t play in a super loud environment so haven’t had any feedback problems. http://lnrmusic.com/ can usually do a lot better than their advertised prices.

July 25, 2008 at 10:07 PM · (message moved)

July 26, 2008 at 07:57 AM · I use the Realist for my rig. I used to keep it on my main instrument (a viola) but then I moved it over to my violin. It's a powerful pick up, to say the least. You definitely don't want to take it on and off all the time because it goes under your bridge. Unless you have significant experience setting your bridge, you don't wanna mess with that too much, since your sound post can move as well when the tension from the bridge and strings isn't there anymore.

July 29, 2008 at 03:33 AM · I've been using the Realist since December 07, permanently set up on my acoustic violin. It really does sound great! I almost always plug in directly to the amplifier (i.e., no preamp) and have had no problems.

July 29, 2008 at 08:35 PM · I put it on .Sounded good. One day bridge fell off and the varnish was damaged underneath, I did not replace it. Had to revarnish the area. If you have a "dedicated" violin to stay for good may be OK. If the bridge moves off from the vertical it may snap off and the plastic wrapping brakes.I am looking for something less invasive...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe