Help - no one makes good 3/4 bows

October 11, 2006 at 05:49 AM · Where does one access a decent 3/4 bow from? For ethical reasons, I would actually prefer a carbon fibre, but as far as I can deduce, only Coda do a 3/4 and that is only in their Prodigy line. Or there is a Glasser (I think), but I associate them with the fibreglass clunkers, and I'm a bit confused about the model names for their carbon bows. If anyone is more sure, you could help me out here.

Think of all those 10 year old Asian prodigies, They're definitely on fractional instruments, and I mean they're not gonna all be playing on a AUS$70.00 (around $50 US) stick like I am, are they, so they must be getting a better bow from somewhere. I have shops keeping an eye out for me, but so far nothing.

If anyone can suggest a direction for me to turn to, I'll be happy.

Going 3/4 has been the best thing for my playing since getting a great teacher. Getting an advancing bow would be another great step.

Replies (3)

October 16, 2006 at 04:06 PM · There are many options for a decent quality 3/4 bow. I know we carry a line of 3/4 carbon fiber bows at an affordable ($125 retail) price. We also carry very good quality Pernambuco 3/4 bows at a slightly higher price point ($375 retail). Both of these lines are from Arcos Brasil and many local shops all across the country carry their bows. If you need the name of a local shop that carries Arcos Brasil bows, let me know your area/city and I'll give you the shop names/numbers from the Arcos Brasil dealer list.

October 16, 2006 at 04:37 PM · And not meaning to hijack too much, do you apply the same reasoning to 1/2 size bows? That's where we are in my household right now.

October 16, 2006 at 08:43 PM · I think so, again, with fractional instruments make the purchase match the player, if you have someone who plays because they "have to", you may not want to invest the same money vs. someone who plays because they want to and are trying to play well (and probably more likely to keep playing). Also, most shops have some sort of trade-up program. If you bought a 1/2 size bow (or instrument) and now need a 3/4 (or from 3/4 to full size), most shops will buy back the previous instrument and bow. This percentage amount varies from shop to shop, so check with the shop you intend to purchase from to find out what their policies are.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe