Left handed violins for sale

October 7, 2006 at 04:09 AM · im interested to hear which makers/models are recommended for a left handed player.

my options so far are to get my local maker to convert a right handed violin i already own for $500australian, or to purchase a brand new left handed violin from overseas.

currently on ebay ive noticed an "Advanced Student - GEMS2" lefty for $278us (solid carpathian spruce top and maple body, a helmke left handed violin($69.95us - no description of wood used that i can see - low quality i would imagine though) and a chinese made "T19" make by a luthier called "liu xi" for $499.99 (including bow and case).

it seems like there is very little on offer in regards to lefty violins. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks, ritchie.

Replies (7)

October 7, 2006 at 04:48 AM · What's your budget?

I'd think that almost any maker could make you a left handed violin.

Any violin can be easily converted too, although I wouldn't recommend alteration of a violin which has historical value.

All that really needs to be done is relocate the pegs, make a new bridge, and some other minor setup alterations.

A violin doesn't seem to care much which side the bass bar and soundpost are on relative to the bass and treble strings.

http://www.burgessviolins.com

October 7, 2006 at 06:16 AM · $500 sounds like a lot to charge for such a conversion. Luthiers in my area charge much less, but market considerations may be quite different in Australia.

There is a great variety of opinions on converting conventional violins to left-handed violins or building left-handed violins from the ground up. My understanding, based on my reading, is that if you convert a conventional violin, it is advisable to move or adjust the soundpost and bass bar, too.

October 7, 2006 at 07:49 AM · If Burgess says you don't have to switch the sp and bb around that's pretty much the last word on it, I'd think. It seems to me that it probably wouldn't be real important to change the pegs. Only a bit more important to get a new bridge instead of just flipping the old one around. Bringing the cost of converting down from $500 to approximately zero.

October 7, 2006 at 12:36 PM · The pegs would only need to be relocated if the peg closest to the upper nut interferes with the fingering hand in first position, or when playing a half step above the open string.

Usually, that peg (what used to be the G peg) is in the way, but every violin is different and it also depends on the hand position of the player.

Normally, the treble side pegs are installed farther away from the fingerboard for hand clearance.

October 7, 2006 at 06:43 PM · Yes. That's why you're Donald Trump and I'm the apprentice.

October 8, 2006 at 06:13 AM · i did indeed think that $500 was quite expensive. the price though includes: left hand chin rest, new bridge, strings converted and the bass bar repositioned (i imagine this is what most of the money would be paying for, due to the violin needing to be taken apart and put back together again to change the bass bar)

if the bass bar wasn't changed over wouldnt this impede the sound ?

my budget is around $500.

so i'll either convert a nice sounding right handed violin i already own or purchase one of the aforementioned violins off ebay

does anybody have any comments about the ebay violins. do any of them sound familiar?

thanks

October 11, 2006 at 11:01 AM · David,

I've read that some very good violins have the neck/ fingerboard set with a slight downward lean on the treble side. It has something to do with bow clearance, or some such thing.

Is this not true? If it is true, then such a violin would be quite expensive to convert, no?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe