wedding music

September 26, 2006 at 02:34 PM · Hi,

my quartet was requested to play something "spicy" or "funky" and not so much of a traditional wedding music for this wedding gig (for after the ceremony pretty much) just for a few minutes. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions... she didn't really get any more specific when we asked her again than to say possibly jazz or something along those lines... or just at least nothing like Bach or Mozart. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies (5)

September 26, 2006 at 04:18 PM · Nowadays, there's plenty of pop music arranged for string quartet.

The music of the Beatles never fails to impress.

September 26, 2006 at 04:22 PM · I think a good tango may be nice.

September 26, 2006 at 04:26 PM · grab "watermelon Man" and get it in chart form, this meaning it has the melody and chords, this should be really easy to find, its in any fakebook. Or just talk to any jazzer they should have it, make sure its in C or F. So, here's what you do. First violinist play the lead, second violinist play the harmony. The cellist needs to play the root note of the chord rythmically..could be anything, pretty easy just look of the name of the chord and play that note. The violist could either play in harmony with the violins, or tap a rythm on the back on the viola(which sounds much cooler!), tap somewhere really high on the back of your viola....better tone and better for viola. WHen your done playing the melody TWICE, the take turns improvising.......and violins, don't be afraid to play your violin like a mandolin(pluck)..its add's a new texture and really sounds cool

Ok, so there's the basic setup of playing something funky in a string quartet..or thats at least what I do....

some other tune suggestions that are easy to find that have a little funk and work on string instruments....

Put it where you want it-jazz crusaders

Chitlins Con Carne- Kenny Burrell

Evil Ways-santana

Mercy Mercy Me- Cannonball Adderly.

Hope this helps..Break a string!

Patrick

September 26, 2006 at 04:37 PM · Hi Lauren,

check out a site like cacophonix.com. Next to some classical-like pieces of Joplin-Ragtimes, Dixieland, Henry Mancini-Themes, Gershwin - Variations, there're loads of Pop transcriptions as Kevin said (Beatles, Abba, 60's etc.).

Even Thunderstruck sounds great played with a string quartet.

September 26, 2006 at 04:31 PM · Patrick Contreras, you and I need to start gigging together! We have the same mindset!

The trouble is that I know very few people that can do what you suggested. That requires no small amount of training in jazz violin, which most classical violinists don't have.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe