"I love you, you're perfect, now change"?

September 14, 2006 at 04:45 AM · Anyone out there ever played the solo part for the musical "I love you, you're perfect, now change"?

I've been offered the part for this production and don't know much about the music. Is this terribly difficult music? Is it tough to play (key sigs, tempo chages, tough runs or double stops)? Also, anyone out there know where I can get my hands on a copy of the violin solo? I've found vocal and piano, but no luck so far locating a part for violin. And we all know how music rental goes, I'll get the part about 4 weeks before performance. This is normally plenty of time for me if it's symphonic music, but since I'll be only accompanied by piano, I'd like as much advance practice time as possible. (performance is in January).

Thanks for the help!

Laura

Replies (11)

September 14, 2006 at 11:23 PM · I've played the solo part for a portion of that musical at a variety show kind of deal for the theatre fraternity at my school, and it's not that bad. A couple tricky spots, but with practice if you're a strong player it should definitely be manageable. Just also make sure you listen to the recording a TON to get tempos solid and stuff. To my knowledge, it's not possible to get the violin solo part unless you rent it from MTI or something, so you probably won't get it until the conductor gets it to you. But I defintiely recommend doing it. It's a great show with an awesome violin part!

September 15, 2006 at 12:51 AM · Thanks for the response Tommy! I'll just keep listening for now and hope we get the music asap.

Laura

September 15, 2006 at 01:35 AM · Laura, it has been awhile since we have communicated! :) Drop me an email and let me know if we are still on for those gigs...hope you are well!

September 19, 2006 at 10:43 PM · Hi Andrew,

It has been a while! I have passed on your info to our music director for his files. I'm hopeful that he will contact you soon for an upcoming season! I would suggest visiting our site, chandlersymphony.org to get our symphonys direct mailing address. If you'd like to send something, the best way would be to send to our address with attention to Maestro Herriman.

I'll give him a gentle reminder again to take a look at your info, but you may want to mail out a pr packet with his attention again just to keep your name fresh in his mind (he's pretty busy as you can imagine!).

Thanks for checking in Andrew,

Laura

January 14, 2007 at 04:10 PM · Hi Laura,

I might be playing the show in March. Did you enjoy it? How is the music? Any feedback is helpful. Thanks. Julie

January 16, 2007 at 08:57 PM · Hi Julie,

I am in the middle of a 3 week run of performances as we speak. I am REALLY enjoying myself! It's a terrific show and I have to really try hard not to laugh during performances, even though I've heard it over and over and over...

I have to admit I was a bit terrified at the idea of playing only with a piano (hello, noticeable intonation!) but I've learned a great deal about my playing. There's this part in the show (Ent'racte) where the violinist is supposed to have a moment where he/she goes off into their own world and is playing their heart out while the pianist looks at violinist "angrily" (kind of a "what the *#$! are you doing?? moment). I have received such wonderful responses from the audience - has done wonders for the ego! :)

As far as advice goes, get your hands on the CD so you can practice at home before rehearsals with the actors. I have found that "rehearsals" in my case meant coming in 2 days before opening night and running through the show almost straight through. Also, keep in mind that this is first and foremost about the action onstage, not what's going on in the musicians "box"(we perform in a screened picture frame and are only fully lighted during solos).

Rehearsals, in my case, have been about tweaking the interplay with the actors, not really about the music. Come as prepared as possible by listening to the show at home and practicing as much as possible with it. Now, your show might run differently, but don't just assume you'll get everything worked out during rehearsals. Also, I figured out that Actors are not necessarily the best at being on time to rehearsals. We set rehearsals at 7:00, but didn't ever get rolling until about 8:00. :)

Have a wonderful time and enjoy this opportunity. It's a really great show and so much fun.

If any readers out there are in Arizona, come check out the show (www.mesaartscenter.com). I think we are almost completely sold out so tickets might be an issue.(Harmless plug, I'm volunteering my time.)

Good luck Julie, let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help!

Laura Russ

January 16, 2007 at 09:18 PM · One more thing Julie,

The music is not terribly difficult, depending on your playing level. The worst part about the music is it's played mainly in some pretty uncomfortable key signatures (singers...grrr.) It's not too scary though...

Just keep bugging your director for sheet music (squeaky wheel gets the grease).

They will be limited as to when they can get the music since it's rented, but you want to make sure they know that you want it the minute it's arrived.

Laura Russ

January 17, 2007 at 01:16 AM · Hi Laura,

I've played the show in two different productions, and it's a really fun, and definitely do-able violin part. Most of the licks are very well written and work well with the violin. I only recall there being a couple of awkward parts. If you find a violinist who is competent at sight-reading, he/she can definitely learn it and put it together in a couple of weeks. Good luck!

March 25, 2007 at 02:59 AM · Hi Laura, Thank you so much for your advice about the show "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change." I'm now in the second weekend of performances. It's a hilarious show, isn't it! The scene with the lawyers gets the biggest laugh! I have a question for you: the violinist's solo in the Entr'acte does not have a cadenza written out. Did you create your own? Would you like to share it?

Thanks!

March 28, 2007 at 11:55 PM · Hi,

I did my own cadenza because the one in the music was pathetic. I was told to make it really showy (think Paganini capricces) and to move my body in axaggerate way.

I took the last run that goes right into cadenza much higher than written, by extending into an arpeggio and ending with a long E flat.

Then an articulated gliss down, followed by

some melodic doublestopps and fast arpeggios accross the strings (sounds very effective).

Then I actually took part of Pag. capricce 9 (the octaves and runs) and tied that in and followed it with a A flat blues scale up and a diminished arpeggio down.

Then some trills on the G string and end with the written last note.

It may sound like a mishmash, but it worked well and was very succesful (much applause).

Lucia

March 29, 2007 at 05:57 PM · I actually had the chance to play the same musical with just a piano this year at USI. I turned it down due to the content of the musical.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe