Fiddle-Ezy -- Violin Support Holder

September 9, 2006 at 05:29 AM · In May, 2006, I had a cervical fusion of the discs in my neck. The doctor has told me that I can go back to playing the violin. I am looking for a violin support holder called Fiddle-Ezy. It is made in Australia. It is a strap that holds the violin for you. This will take the pressure off of my left arm and shoulder, while I get back into shape. I have tried to order one from Australia, but I wasn't able to. Does anyone know where I can purchase this in the United States? Does anyone know of anything else that can hold the violin for me when I play?

Replies (9)

September 9, 2006 at 06:12 AM · First, I'm sorry to hear about your sugery, my mom had a simular sugery. She has arnold chari malformation.

Second, you might consider asking one of the V.com members that live in australia, they might be able to help you out/tell you where you can get them in australia that will ship internationally.

September 9, 2006 at 07:46 AM · Greetings,

I do somethign very simple which may help. Take a large square chunk of foam. Cut a slit in it sufficiebntly larce that the nd of the scroll can be inserted into it. Then take a large elastic band and wrap it around the foam and hook it around and between the scroll and inner peg box. All this does is ensure that the damn thing doesnt fall off. Now you play with the sroll leaning agiant the wall. The pressure of your body agains the wall will support the violin and the chunk of foam will prevent damage to the instrument.I think it is possible toreneder tyhe instrument weightless in this manner.

Cheers,

Buri

September 10, 2006 at 01:11 AM · I live in Australia, but I've never heard of these. I'm going to get my bow rehaired, and buy a new bow soon, so I could ask when I go. Maybe if you tell us where youheard about it?

Good luck with it all.

September 10, 2006 at 04:39 PM · I found it at Merrylands Music, NSW Australia. Their web site is: Merrylandsmusic.com. I also found it at Engadine Music. Their web site is: Engadinemusic.com. It is made by Paytons. Both stores have it advertised only on special order.

October 21, 2006 at 03:46 PM · I finally received the Fiddle Ezy. It works very well for me, in that it holds the violin up and takes the pressure off my shoulder and chin. Thanks for your support and suggestions. Marlene

October 21, 2006 at 06:56 PM · Good. I am glad that you can continue you violin playing!

-Richard

November 7, 2006 at 02:16 PM · Marlene,

I play viola and just had cervical fusion 1 month ago. I would love to hear more from you. Is the Fiddle-Ezy comfortable? Would it work for a viola? Have you raised or centered your chin rest? Altered the shoulder rest? How long until you anticipate returning to orchestra? Is Advil enough for rehearsals? Thank you.

January 29, 2007 at 11:07 AM · http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLZIGQ7OG4

January 22, 2009 at 11:08 PM ·

I see that there are a couple of blogs on Violinist.com addressing the issue of violin supports.  I just posted the following at the other blog with the intent of getting the word out on another option:

There is another violin support strap, called the VIOSTRAP, that is just becoming commercially available that may be an option for folks looking to play their violin or viola more comfortably.  You can check it out at viostrap.com.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I invented it after picking up the violin 8 years ago at the age of 44.  I'm a physician who has played guitar and banjo most of his life and discovered to my surprise how ergonomically difficult those shoulder held instruments could be.  Nothing clamps, ties or screws onto the violin.  It simply slides under the fingerboard up to the heel - which is a non-vibratory area - and is fully adjustable.  It is best used with any shoulder rest.

I'm glad to see products such as the VioStrap, Happynex and Fiddle Ezy finally becoming available for our string musicians.  I treat the music students at the University where I practice and think it's good to have different options and products for people to choose from that address long standing issues in the field.  Hope this helps

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe