What pieces is everyone working on now?

September 4, 2006 at 04:52 AM · I know this has been posted before, but I thought it was good for an update on everyone here..

I'm currently working on Saint-Saens Conc. and his intro to rondo capriciosso. Started working on Beethoven Sonata 5 which isn't too difficult. Will start Mozart Conc 5 later in the semester hopefully as well as a Bach partita to go with that. As you can see, I've been very productive..

Replies (79)

September 4, 2006 at 06:18 AM · Hey Rafe,

I love Saint-Saens. My mom makes me play one of his pieces on the piano everytime I play. I did Mozarts Concerto no.4. Hated every second of it lol.

Currently I am working on Suzuki book no 8.

Canon In D for violin and piano (but thats easy)

And I am Attempting Bach's prelude from suite no 1 for unaccompianed cello transposed for violin.

September 4, 2006 at 06:52 AM · Sibelius. soooooooooooooo much to do...

September 4, 2006 at 07:26 AM · sibelius, for a concerto competition. thank god i started learning guitar this summer or the arpeggio passages would be impossible. now, i just have to worry about the rest haha!

September 4, 2006 at 09:06 AM · Basically in final preperation mode for my graduation recital:

Bach - Siciliano and Presto from Sonata No 1 in G Minor (BWV 1001)

Beethoven - Sonata for Violin and Piano in A minor, Op. 23

Sarasate - Romanza Andaluza Op. 22, Number 3

Also preparing Prokofiev - First movement from Sonata in D major, Op. 94a

September 4, 2006 at 09:22 AM · devil went down to georgia

September 4, 2006 at 01:11 PM · Beethoven Concerto

Tartini Sonata in g minor (not Devil's Trill)

Paganini Variations on the G String on

Rossini's "Moses"

Franck Sonata

September 4, 2006 at 01:32 PM · Bruch G minor

Bach Partita in D minor Alemanda and Corrente

I think I'll be starting the Beethoven Spring Sonata and maybe something by Sarasate soon.

September 4, 2006 at 01:54 PM · now i'm doing the dvorak romance, tons of flats in that one, but i'm almost done. i'm also doing the sarabande and double from bach 1st partita. i might (hopefully) be starting either the mendelssohn or the barber soon

September 4, 2006 at 02:53 PM · Danielle, how hard is the Dvorak Romance? I've been thinking about doing a romantic piece that's not a concerto for a while and I really love this one. What are the hardest things about it?

September 4, 2006 at 03:49 PM · the hardest thing is the flats. i don't really like the piece, but its not bad. I would suggest Dvoraks four romantic pieces, which are a little easier, but i like them more.

September 4, 2006 at 04:00 PM · My program this semester: Bach Partita 2 (just finnished the giga, next the Chaconna)

Barber VC and Elgar or Brahms 1 violin sonata.

September 4, 2006 at 04:01 PM · entirely too much!

Bach g min

Khachaturian (just the 1st mvt for now)

Lalo

Beethoven G Maj

Wieniawski Scherzo-Tarantelle

Paganini 16

Basically, stuff for recital/grad school auditions

September 4, 2006 at 05:04 PM · Saint Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso

Lalo Symphonie Espagnole (1st mvmt so far)

Bach G minor Fugue (probably the hardest thing I've worked on to date)

I'm working on the Bach for college auditions, and probably the Lalo too, but I may cycle back and play Mendelssohn for that purpose.

September 4, 2006 at 05:12 PM · Tchaikovsky Concerto (1st mvt.)

Bach a minor Sonata

Paganini #5

Kreutzer, Kreutzer, Kreutzer :)

I'm thinking of learning Beethoven Sonata No. 8.

September 4, 2006 at 05:11 PM · Kreutzer 19

Fiorillo (my old friend)

Bach C major Fugue (another old friend)

Lalo Symphony Espagnole (I haven't touched this since 1986, so what should be an old friend is more like a new one! When I learned this in High School, I LOATHED it, but with much water under the bridge, I am really having fun.)

Granados/Kreisler Spanish Dance in e minor

September 4, 2006 at 05:29 PM · dvorak concerto and more bach

September 5, 2006 at 12:30 AM · Bach Violin-Oboe concerto (c-minor version)

Brahms Piano Trio #1, Op. 8

Next in line (starting next month):

Biber Passacaglia (solo violin)

Brahms String Quintet #1, Op. 88

September 5, 2006 at 01:45 AM · For grad school auditions:

Tchaikovsky concerto, full

Bach CM Sonata, mvts 3 and 4

Paganini Caprices (I think 12 and 16, not sure yet)

For recital/grad school auditions:

Mozart Rondo in CM (it's trite but fun)

Dohnanyi Sonata

Ravel Sonata

Saint-Saens Havanaise

Other than that, Ysaye etudes (they are the bane of my existence), Locatelli caprices, Dont, yada yada yada, and some orchestral excerpts for local orchestra auditions

BTW, Beethoven 8 is extremely fun to play! Anyone who is thinking about playing it definitely should. :)

September 5, 2006 at 02:17 AM · Okay, seriously.

For my teacher:

Bach Partita No. 1

Ginastera, Pampeana No. 1

For public school Impressionism Tour:

Milhaud Trio for violin, piano, and clarinet

Ravel, Pavanne

For upcoming concert:

Moskowsky, Violin Duet

For the appeasement of most people who listen to me play:

Devil Went Down to Georgia

Orange Blossom Special

September 5, 2006 at 09:03 PM · Dvorak concerto,

Debussy sonata,

intermittent attempts at Bach d minor,

and very soon, lots and lots and lots of scales and technical exercises. First lesson with a new teacher soon!

And for my own amusement I play some gypsy tunes by Janos Bihari, Sandor Lakatos and that whole bunch. :)

September 5, 2006 at 09:18 PM · Emily, I think you and I are twins--or maybe we're like that "Bizarro" episode of Sienfeld (do you know which one I'm talking about? Where each of the characters meet their alter-egos?)

I'm also working on the Partita no. 1 (love that octave F# in the second measure)--all of the movements simultaneously.

Mendelssohn Concerto in D minor

Brahms Sonata no. 1

Franck Sonata

Like you, I also play devil went down to georgia and orange blossom special to make everyone else happy. You know, I could use some fiddle lessons. I think my subconscious is rebelling when I play fiddle music. I sound entirely too classical(my slides sound more like glissandos etc.) I've spent so much time being clean, I don't know how to be messy.

September 5, 2006 at 09:58 PM · Currently, I am working on both the Sibelius and Tchaikovsky violin concertos... and a bit of paganini's caprices.

September 5, 2006 at 10:02 PM · Ouch! That's a load!

September 5, 2006 at 11:39 PM · Greetings,

I hope I am working on -everything- by practicing scales....

Seriously, your question did remind me of three bits of good advice (the first and third from the Tziganov interview in `The Way They Play, the 2nd from John Ludlow):

1) Whatever else you are working on, always practice some unaccompanied Bach everyday. Very often I will pick out passages in 3rds and 6ths from the g minor fugue for example and play them with the same fingers , then a different combination, then another and then play the whole work. I alwys play at least two movements from the d minor partita everyday after I have finsihed about an hours tehcnical work. I think it is very unhealthy to finish with technique. Your heart should always be singing when you finally put the instrument down!

2) -Always- have on piece of music ready to play if someone asks you. So that is another reason I keep the d minor partita in the front of my mind all the time.

3) Always play (work on)a cantabile piece everyday. It is easy to forget the violin is a singing instrument.

Upcoming recital, not very orginal:

Handel a major sonata.

Tartini Didone Abbandona dofreewhatsit

Schubert d major

Beethoven 6

Martinu Intermezzo

Suk Four Pieces.

Upcoming Trio Concert

Debussy.

Haydn

Beethoven opus 12 no 1.

Shostakovitch.

Cheers,

Buri

September 6, 2006 at 12:18 AM · Chausson's Poeme. After that, hopefully one of the more standard concertos. (I'd like to do Barber, but we'll see what happens)

As far as youth orchestra music goes, plenty of Brahms. (Symphony #1 and Academic Festival Overture) Soon after that I'll have to start Death and Transfiguration again. (played it in the summer but we're doing it again early next year)

September 6, 2006 at 11:36 AM · I've just finished Gypsy airs (Sarasate),Hommage to Albeniz(sp?) by Rodion Shchedrin,Saint-Saens-3rd concerto and 13th caprice.

I started to work on these last week:

Wieniawski-Concerto no.2

Bach-Siciliana from Sonata no.1

I have just started Music academy,and I think my teacher will give me Prokofiev:Montagues and Cappulets and Bloch:Nigun.

Do you think this is a decent programme for a 16-year old?:/ Should I be doing something more demanding at this age?

September 6, 2006 at 01:40 PM · No, sounds like you're doing fine. Thats some difficult repertoire.

September 6, 2006 at 02:51 PM · Remember that there's no specific music that is on par for a certain age. THere's no specific music that is on par for a certain playing age (years since you started). There is only the music that is right for you, right at this moment. Just because some 13 year old is performing the Beethoven concerto doesn't mean that you shouldn't been doing that when you were 13.

Buri, your programs sound very interesting. I'd love to be able to come to one of your concerts one day.

September 6, 2006 at 03:20 PM · ana--don't worry about what you're playing, whatever it is, just get it perfect and in tune and beautiful--way more valuable in the long run than just accumulating poorly played repertoire.

I play Nigun. There's nothing "little" about that piece. I think to pull that one off right you've got to have a bit of musical maturity. If your teacher is giving you that piece, he/she obviously thinks you're mature enough to bring it off right (imho, in Nigun that means focus and clarity and intensity without squeezing the life out of the sound).

September 6, 2006 at 03:52 PM · Vitali Chaconne and afterwards hopefully Beethoven Sonata #10

September 7, 2006 at 12:21 AM · My rep for this next quarter, (freshman year of college), is:

-Lalo, Symphonie Espagnole (Mov. 1)

-Wieniawski, Scherzo Tarantella

-Bach, Sonata #1, First 3 movements

-Beethoven, Romance in F Major

September 7, 2006 at 12:31 AM · Suzuki Book 1

Paganini: Duo Merveille

September 7, 2006 at 01:47 AM · Hahahaha! :)

September 7, 2006 at 08:02 PM · Kevin--LOL!!! How about everything in between while you're at it? Are you Alpha and Omega?

September 8, 2006 at 01:00 AM · I was being totally serious, but then I realized how ridiculous my post looked!

What encouraged me was that our fellow violinst.com member Peter Wilson (who I have tons of respect for) does the same thing. He'll run the basic Suzuki books on a regular basis, and he actually does it a lot more than I do. I focus mainly on Book 1, playing it in my own solo arrangements with doublestops and such.

Duo Merveille is a fun piece. I finally got the music for it and cleared up some of the passages that I had forgotten over the last few years. My Ricci edition has some hammer-ons in it, but I play them as solid left hand pizzes because I want the self-accompaniment pizzicato to project.

Actually, you're absolutely right about me kim. I do mess around with everything "in between", though obviously not all with good quality. But I'm probably more "Alpha" than anything else!

September 8, 2006 at 02:59 AM · O.K I don't even know most of the pieces you'all just mentioned having picked up the violin to play the fiddle for bluegrass, scotish ballads and celtic tunes but I am hooked now on many of the classical pieces--finding them beautiful and challenging--(I am past 40 and have only been playing for 5 years)my latest:

Hungarian Dance #5

Concerto in B minor by O. Rieding

and a German piece by Scheidler, a duet for violin and guitar

Happy Playing!!

Caroline King

September 8, 2006 at 10:59 AM · The current solo I am working on right now is Wieniawski's Legende Opus 17.

September 8, 2006 at 10:11 PM · Bach Sonata No. 2

Beethoven Sonata No. 5 "Spring"

Brahms Concerto

Lutoslawski Subito

September 9, 2006 at 01:43 AM · Stravinsky Concerto

Ysaye #2

Bartok Rhapsody #1

September 9, 2006 at 03:07 AM · now i'm learning the barber! not for a performance or anything, but more as a technical kind of thing

September 9, 2006 at 11:37 AM · Hi,

I usually never do things like this but, why not for a change...

This weekend's program - Mozart Symphonies No. 21 and 29, 6 Mozart Arias the Dissonance Quartet.

Sept. 23 - Recital - FAE Sonata, Mendelssohn F minor, 3 romances by Clara Schumann, Robert Schumann Third Sonata

Oct. 3 - Orchestra Program - Copland's Appalachian Spring, several pieces by Charles Ives, and Dvorak 9.

Oct. 13 - Recital - Respighi Sonata, Prokofiev 1st Sonata, Prokofiev 5 Melodies.

That's the next month. I'll deal with November once I get passed this series...

Cheers!

September 9, 2006 at 12:55 PM · Lol, I totally forgot to include my orchestra parts:

Russlan and Ludmilla Overture: Glinka(oct)

Symphony no.1: Beethoven(oct)

Carmen Suites 1 & 2: Bizet(oct)

All pieces from the nutcracker (nov.,Dec)

September 9, 2006 at 06:44 PM · I am nervous and excited to be starting violin lessons on monday! Some friends of mine are friends of Eric Rosenblith, so I called him and he recommended a student of his to teach me.

This will be my first violin lesson in over 30 years. When we talked on the phone, she asked what I like to play, and I mentioned the presto from Vivaldi's Summer. She asked if I could prepare that, so I am.

I'm also bringing in the Bach solo works, and may play the ciaccone for her. She told me to get the Flesch scale system (surprise!) and I've read a couple of pages of that. Never thought I'd like a scale study book!

Tomorrow starts the rehearsal season for New England Philharmonic, so I'll also be working on the second violin parts of two world premier pieces, and the Symphonie Fantastique. Then on Wednesday, for the Symphony Pro Musica, the first violin parts for 'a short ride in a fast machine' by John Adams, Beethoven's first piano concerto, and Prokoffiev's fifth symphony.

So I'll be busy with my violin.

I don't play the devil goes down to Georgia, but I wouldn't rule that out for the future.

September 9, 2006 at 07:29 PM · This is such a dumb discussion thingie... Who cares what people are working on. So pretentious.

September 9, 2006 at 07:35 PM · Vincent: if you think so, you're not obliged to answer :)

are you ? ;)

September 9, 2006 at 08:06 PM · Vincent, I agree with Alexandria, if you don't like the topic then just ignore it. Personally I like hearing what professional violinists and my colleges are working on. Sometimes I might be able to offer advice if I have played that piece before or it might give me a suggestion of what to play next.

September 9, 2006 at 08:22 PM · I think this is a valid question for a message board called "violinist.com"

September 9, 2006 at 08:58 PM · Richard Hellinger...

Nice point -- and that was my follow up point but I decided not to write it. If you need help on a certain passage or something -- ask...

But his rhetoric points out that he was just gloating. Don't worry, I know Rafe and he does this "I'm doing this and that" and says he's winning competitions and scholarships when he hasn't.

It's just pretentious to me, and pretentious to say stuff like "I'm working on Bartok 2, oh I'm doing very well I guess... tee hee".

So I think some of you "defensive" people should maybe thinking about being humble no matter what.

Vince

September 9, 2006 at 09:42 PM · Vincent, I must say, you type very well for someone so young. ;)

Gloating happens on all threads. Violinists tend to be competetive, and with this comes a degree of continual comparison. I personally alternate feelings of "I am so awesome" and "I suck so bad", sometimes back and forth in a single practice session.

It would be nice if people didn't brag about themselves and just came here to share and learn. I thought this could either be a bad thread full of self-hype, or a good thread where people could share and find common grounds. I liked that after I posted my repertoire, I discovered that Kim had a lot of the same pieces.

Kim, have you gotten any help on the chords for the Bach? I suffered for a week until my teacher gave me a tip to go light on the bottom two notes, placing the sounding point more toward the fingerboard and then highlighting the top notes while drawing the sounding point in. It really has been helping. I tend to have a tight bow arm. He also said to place the fingers early (duh!). Easier said than done...

Oh, and also, I just now learned that all of the movements are built on the same underlying chord structure, like variations on the same theme. Can't believe I didn't figure that out on my own.

September 9, 2006 at 09:49 PM · Mozart D, Brahms Concerto and excerpts, excerpt, excerpts...

I need a distraction. Any ideas?

September 9, 2006 at 10:06 PM · A competitve spirt isn't always bad to have, exspecially in the violin profession. But I don't like gloaters. I also hate it when people are pessimistic only to gain attention.

Emily- about the tight bowing arm, what I do to loosen up my arm (works for me, I have a tight bowing arm) is to play a few passages in spiccato. Don't play too much in Spiccato because I did that the first time (played all of canon in D spiccato) and my arm was sore for almost a day. But that seems to loosen up the arm a bit.

September 9, 2006 at 10:15 PM · I'm learning 3 sonatas for my recital..

Strauss (some tough challenges in the left hand, as some of it has some very awkward and unviolinistic writing... can't wait to do it with piano)

Ravel (last movement is hard, but some rythym in 2nd movement is hard for me because I'm an idiot in that department)

Schumann

But right now I have to practice prok 2 concerto because I need to play it next friday. I'm also learning a few short little pieces for fun like Kreisler/Rachmaninov 18th variation on a theme by Paganini, Paganini Cantabile, redoing Scherzo Tarrantella, and I need to get cracking on Bach A- 3rd and 4th movements.

September 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM · I don't think there's anything wrong with people stating that their practice on difficult songs is going well. Isn't that what we all achieve by the time we step on stage?

The violin culture is littered with self flagellation. That's what it takes to get rid of one's weaknesses to improve, but that doesn't mean that one should not feel and express joy when something goes well.

Besides, I thought the whole point of playing the violin was to express and convey joy. What's wrong with sharing that joy with others? If they don't like it, they can walk away to find joy in other areas. Nobody's holding anybody hostage on the violin.

September 10, 2006 at 02:05 AM · I am not saying that it is inappropriate/I hate it when people tell me things are going well, I'd rather have something (practice) go well rather than bad. I am talking about the people the gloat or boast.

Like there are people that say "Wow I am practicing (insert piece name here) and it is going great." And that is perfectly fine and I am glad to hear something like that.

But then there are the people that boast or gloat and say "I am so amazing, I am playing (insert piece name here) and I rock it. No one can play it better than me." And yes I have seen people (not on this thread) post something simular to this.

Exspecially some of the people that embellish quite a bit. I want to hear the truth on someone's progress not lies, in order to help them if I possibly can.

September 10, 2006 at 04:18 AM · Analyze the following:

I'm currently working on Saint-Saens Conc. and his intro to rondo capriciosso. Started working on Beethoven Sonata 5 WHICH ISN'T TOO DIFFICULT. Will start Mozart Conc 5 later in the semester hopefully as well as a Bach partita to go with that. AS YOU CAN SEE, I've been very productive...

I'm in law school (not gloating) and it's like this. It's fine to say "I'm taking Con Law" or "you have to make sure you look at the footnotes, do the briefs, and study from Emmanuel". But don't say, "I did this and that and GOT A's both semesters". It might be nothing to some, but it makes odd sense to me. What is the point of saying "I'm doing so well, I'm gonna play all this rep. (even though he obviously does not have the technique to play any of those pieces)" It gives all of you a false sense of hope -- yes! if anything, be truthful with your bad self -- whichever way you define "bad".

September 10, 2006 at 02:37 PM · It ain't a false sense of hope if you can DO IT.

September 11, 2006 at 12:00 PM · Hello,

Vincent, what is it about Rafe that frustrates you? Has he done anything to you personally?

Now, I don't know Rafe's situation, but, professional musicians have to go through a lot of repertoire, and some artists go through insane amounts in short periods of time, because that is part of the business. I don't think that they are gloating. It is just the reality of the business.

Cheers!

September 11, 2006 at 05:16 PM · I spent the summer hearing all this stuff... HAHA, I know and people at the festival would tell you the same. It's just funny how he keeps the same personality up online. Yeah -- he's not even prepared to play 75% of the rep. he's doing and don't tell me "no one is technically ready when they play a piece" -- I'm actually serious.

So yeah, that's all.

Vince

September 11, 2006 at 05:57 PM · Having just passed my last graded exam, but not feeling up to recitals, I have decided to go back to basics and techniques that could do with brushing up.

One of the exam pieces just completed which I can recommend to readers of violinist.com was a really lovely piano duet by Smetana 'Aus Der Heimat' where he takes you on a scenic and sometimes dramatic journey through his homeland of Czechoslovakia (or whatever it was called then). I didn't make a great job of this piece, but was just amazed to be able to play it.

My vibrato is decent, but I have got out of the habit of using it, so have now decided to play something that demands big vibrato, Kreisler Praeludium and Allegro, and also the very beautiful but sad Liebeslied.

Also I have to confess to being a Bartok junkie, so am trying to wean myself off him with another East European, Dvorak, #2 of the Romantic pieces for violin and piano.

All of that should keep me busy over the winter and probably next spring as well.

September 11, 2006 at 06:32 PM · Hmm, you and I should form a Bartok junkie support group. Bartokians Anonymous, or something. Unlike you, however, I have NO intention of weaning myself off him. :)

September 11, 2006 at 08:02 PM · Can I join? No one I know understands or will let me listen to Bartok within earshot. For years I've had to hide my love. I sneak it in my CD player when I'm running, listen to the computer with headphones on, dark corners in the house with the doors shut--that kind of thing. Could it be that I'm not the only one?

Oh yeah, and Emily, I was similarly happy to find we were working on some of the same pieces.

I haven't gotten any help on the chords yet, but that's because I haven't taken it to my teacher yet. He'll probably tell me I don't need any help--I just need to give up. tee hee hee.

Kidding. Actually, it took me a bit to learn how to grab that F# octave I mentioned, but it always helps me to play through the melody first, to determine where the emphasis goes. In the Allemande, I've noticed it's pretty much all in the soprano, so there's no reason to waste too much time on the bottom notes . . . at least I hope that's right . . . I guess I'll find out this week at my lesson! I'm finding the real test of the Allemande for me so far is the rhythm. It's gotta just keep on truckin, no matter what nasty chord is in there. And sometimes, you've gotta really milk and hold those chords too, depending on how much time he gave you to execute them. Rhythm can really change the entire nature of a triple/quadruple stop/arpeggiation whatever thingie.

Also, Kevin Huang has given me some great tips--you might post a thread and see what you find out. I'll read that one too.

September 11, 2006 at 06:53 PM · You've had to "hide your love?" Oh I get it, sneaking around with Bela, eh? Forget it then, I'm dumping him...for Zoltan Kodaly!! LOL

Oh, this site is way too much fun.

September 11, 2006 at 06:58 PM · Yeah Maura, don't tell my husband about it . . . he doesn't even know about John Thornton yet . . . another thread--I've sold myself for a Cremonese violin.

September 11, 2006 at 07:22 PM · Ooh boy. This is all getting a little too hilarious... I'm off to go collect folk songs with Zoltan. ;)

September 11, 2006 at 08:46 PM · Greetings,

would 'bartokians Anonymous' use a 12 tone program?

Concerned,

Buri

September 11, 2006 at 08:57 PM · Ooooh, good one....

September 11, 2006 at 08:58 PM · Ah Ha!!

"Yeah Maura, don't tell my husband about it . . . he doesn't even know about John Thornton yet . . . another thread--I've sold myself for a Cremonese violin."

Kimberlee, as soon as I can get my Lear Jet out of the barn, I'm comin' fer to git you!!

Stand by for news!! :)

September 11, 2006 at 09:15 PM · I'm a huge Bartok fan, too. I'm dying to play one of the Rhapsodies or one of the concertos! Someday...

but back to pieces... I'm doing Saint Saens Havanaise, Wieniawski D minor Concerto, and Bach E major Partita. Fun stuff!

September 12, 2006 at 12:20 AM · well... my college rep so far is:

Kabalevsky C Major

Bach Sonata No. 1 in g minor Sarabande and Presto

and a Kreutzer etude

September 12, 2006 at 12:52 AM · The Mexican Hat Dance.

September 12, 2006 at 01:15 AM · Greetings,

Zapateado?

Cheers,

buri

September 12, 2006 at 01:55 AM · I'm not up on my Spanish, but doesn't that word have more to do with shoes than hats??

September 12, 2006 at 03:55 AM · Hey, I'll ship a jar of premium Alaskan wild salmon to the first person here who posts a video of themselves playing a piece from their repertoire on this thread.

This is sockeye salmon, not pink.

September 12, 2006 at 05:08 AM · You live in Alaska, right Emily . . . ohhh that is tempting, so very tempting. I can't be made any more foolish than I already have shown myself to be after today either . . . so, what've I got to lose? Now I just need to figure out how to use that camcorder . . .

September 12, 2006 at 07:08 PM · Maura, Kimberlee, Pratik - it is such a relief to be understood. You're right though Maura, there is no substitute, but fasting now means I can gorge later.

September 13, 2006 at 07:34 AM · Starting with the daily "trooping the colours" (Sevcik, Flesch-scales). Then currently "Gypsy airs" and the g-minor-fugue of Bach and finally calming down my neighbor.

September 13, 2006 at 08:34 AM · I find Mazas No 7 ("Lightness of Bowing") a good warm-up, followed by Nos 31, 12, and 13. On to Bach: Sarabanda and Giga from the Dmin Partita (repertoire for the DipABRSM, for which I intend to be the (possibly) oldest entrant in a year or two - I'm coming up to 65). Then the first movement of the Goldmark. Incidentally, has anyone access to his second VC, which on Radio 3 the other day I heard he was alleged to have composed? I'm also trying to decide whether to play 1st or 2nd in Act 3, Gotterdammerung, at the Rehearsal Orchestra weekend course in London in October. And I only started playing again after a 7 (?)-year lay-off a couple of months ago. Mad.

September 15, 2006 at 01:21 PM · I just finished these for my last week's Grade 7 AMEB exam:

-Cantabile, Paganini

-Souvenir de Sarasate, Potstock

-Spinning Wheel, Yanshenov

-Allemanda (Partita II), Bach

For grade 8 exam, I plan to start learning these:

1a) Romance in F, Beethoven

1b) Romance in G, Beethoven

1c) Liebesfreud, Kreisler

(Will choose one of the above for exam)

2) Sarabanda & Giga (Partita II), Bach

3) 1 of 24 Carprices, Rode

4) Flight of the bumble bee, Rimsky-Korsokov?

Excerpts as required in the technical requirements for the exam:

- Prelude (Partita III), Bach

- Concerto in E (3rd movt), Bach

- Perpetuum Mobile, Paganini

Because of exams, I missed out a lot of easier pieces I wanted to learn but never had the chance. So I plan to learn and play one of these to my teacher at the end of each lesson, just to build up my repertoire, work on my dynamic range, phrasing, tone, intonation, rhythm, and "singing" quality. Like Buri said, some of these will be my pieces to play when someone ask (on top of my previous exam pieces):

- Medidation, Massenet

- Double concerto, Bach

- A minor concerto, Bach

- Gavotte, Bouree, Gigue (Partita III), Bach

- Corrente (Partita II), Bach

- Csardas, Monti

- Menuett, Mozart

- Rondo, Mozart

- Traumerei, Schumann

(list to be added)

Oh, and of course, my scales, everyday. I've grown to like them.

September 16, 2006 at 12:16 AM · Major scales and arpeggios

Bach D minor Double, 2nd violin part

Doflein, book three (to get the positions back into my fingers)

Si Bheag, Si Mhor :-)

Sight-reading jazz heads, when I'm in the mood

Improvising

I'd love to pick up more repetoire, but I'll probably work my way through the rest of Doflein first though.

solidad

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe