Indianapolis competition

September 4, 2006 at 02:51 AM · did anybody hear already some of the performances of the 1st round of the Indianapolis competition?

The Bach performances of Saeka Matsuyama and Simone Lamsma were extraordinary

Replies

September 4, 2006 at 12:29 PM · No, but thanks to the reminder I'm listening at the moment. Interesting to hear the prelims too for a change. It looks like the entire thing is going to be available on-demand too. Member Yura Lee is coming up in about an hour.

September 4, 2006 at 01:18 PM · Hi, auditions (internet recordings) for the first four paticipants was so deficient, i guess matsuyama was great, i can`t heard nothing of Lasma, Karvay was really amaizing.

September 4, 2006 at 01:15 PM · There were some brilliant performances but I found the first day a little disappointing.

September 4, 2006 at 01:15 PM · Oh My God, i guess that violin.org is colapsed, i can`t make contact with the site, please suggest me another way, i want to see Yura Lee`s performance. Thanks.

September 4, 2006 at 01:26 PM · Goto www.wfyi.org

And click on Listen. Choose the second channel.

September 4, 2006 at 01:41 PM · Thanks a lot Kevin, who is play in this moment?

September 4, 2006 at 01:41 PM · holy cow yura.

great job!

September 4, 2006 at 02:33 PM · I guess that Coucheron will be in the money, sadly i can´t heard Yura`s perfomance, may be tonight, later i`m with Choi, i guess that she deserve a lot of atention.

September 4, 2006 at 02:36 PM · I'm excitedly rooting for David Coucheron (and Stephanie Jeong, she's amazing).

September 4, 2006 at 03:59 PM · Wow Yura Lee is in the money too, i know understand why she won the Leopold Mozart, simply amaizing, what a tone.

September 4, 2006 at 05:58 PM · The Indianapolis paper called Yevgeny Kutik, David Coucheron, Anna Tifu, and Bella Hristova ones to watch. Yura was amazing. My favorite so far is Roman Patocka's Paganini. He's the devil.

September 4, 2006 at 07:04 PM · Roman´s performance was incredible, but Kutik was disapointed, i can saw some fatigue in the Chaconna and a important misshap in left hand pizicatto in Paganini´s 24, Choi not defraud me, amaizing perfomance.

September 4, 2006 at 07:18 PM · Kutik certainly didn't have a good day. The 16-year-old Miki Kobayashi was stunning.

September 4, 2006 at 07:44 PM · The violin teacher who was providing the color commentary; at the end he covered what he thought were the high points, and he only commented about basically technical things except for Roman's Paganini, where he used the word "charm." I think he heard what I heard. He really does sound like the devil :) I'm hoping to get motivated enough to head up there for one day of it anyway. Somebody please tell me it's all sold out so I won't have to.

September 4, 2006 at 08:42 PM · Jinjoo Cho didn't have a good day too, she fight with the intonation all the time, i think she is no happy with your perfomance.

September 4, 2006 at 09:52 PM · Jim, if you have the opportunity, you should go. You'd probably enjoy it.

September 4, 2006 at 11:00 PM · Dunno. It could end with me being the harmonica playing hippie the police drag off. That's probably overly pessimistic though.

September 5, 2006 at 12:03 AM · I was at the Preliminary phase of the International Violin Competition Sunday and Monday. I have been to the finals before.

What an amazing two days. I really liked Yura Lee. I had a brief conversation with Roman Patocka's host family prior to his appearance. I also enjoyed Katalin Kokas. I will not be able to hear Eric Silberger since I cannot attend The Competition on Tuesday and Wednesday September 5th and 6th.

September 5, 2006 at 12:58 AM · Yeah, you're probably a much better harmonica player than you give yourself credit for.

September 5, 2006 at 07:38 PM · Has anyone heard Tien-Hsin Wu yet? I knew her at ENCORE two years ago and she was fantastic, but I haven't had a chance to hear her since. I'm interested to hear Katalin Kokas, off I go to the website...

September 5, 2006 at 07:41 PM · I heard Wu. I only remember that I thought she didn't play that well but I have forgotten the reasons why.

On an unrelated note: I never thought I could get sick and tired of Bach. Well, after listening to many of the performances of the last 3 days, I think I'm getting sick and tired of the Chaconne and the G minor Adagio and Fuga. I am also getting sick and tired of Paganinni #1 and #24. Please tell me how to recover. :(

September 5, 2006 at 07:50 PM · I just watched a few snippets of Bach videos from Indy, I must say I enjoyed Katalin Kokas! I don't know that particular sonata all that well (whoops...) but she seemed very musical. I also liked Roman Patocka.

Oh yeah, and Yura...awesome Paganini!!!

September 5, 2006 at 08:07 PM · From: SKOWRONSKI: CLASSICAL RECORDINGS

Dear Kevin Cheung: You never will recover!! Its like......... "the symptoms will kill you sooner than the disease!!"

That's why, --if one must do #24-- Mr. Skowronski prescribes the rendition by Karol Szymanowski. The work will never do "in competition" but is a fabulous concert piece (as one of a set of three Pag Caps) helped along for violin and piano ala Pawel Kochanski. Try it.....you may like it! Bring your chops, of course!!

Best regards,

Skowronski: Classical Recordings

Evanston, IL

September 5, 2006 at 10:22 PM · How were Tuesday's competitors?

September 5, 2006 at 11:21 PM · Better than Sunday's for sure.

September 6, 2006 at 12:07 AM · Is anyone else having trouble with the archived performances? I watched today live, but can't seem to access the archives. Is there a trick to it that I am missing?

September 6, 2006 at 12:27 AM · The archive links are good but they'll work normally only on a hi bandwidth connection. If you don't have a high bandwidth connection, go into media player -> options and change the buffer size to the largest number it'll accept. It will take a while to download and start up but at least you'll see something.

September 6, 2006 at 12:32 AM · Cindy Wu was incredible except for one small slip in the fingered octave section of Pag 17.

EDIT-Rachel Harding's C Major (so nice to hear something other than g minor!) was amazing.

September 6, 2006 at 04:03 AM · Simone Lamsma should win...everyone else has too many flaws. shes fantastic

September 6, 2006 at 09:10 AM · D Kurganov, don't say that before you've seen today's comeptitors! ;)

September 6, 2006 at 11:34 AM · The very best yesterday imo was: Euenice Keen´s bach and Yan Xu´s Paganini 24, incredible perfomances both, and they may be in semifinal.

Others very good perfomances was from: Bella Hristova, Arama, Enamoto and Julliard´s boy Hadelich, and in this moment the best sonata 3 interpretation from Celeste Golden and a great Sonata 1 Grave from Sthepanie Jeong.

September 6, 2006 at 12:18 PM · Wow, and the best Chaconna till now imo was from Ana Tifu that may be in semifinal tii, is a amaizing player.

September 6, 2006 at 02:42 PM · Ok. IMO they are the semifinalist in The Indy:

Matsuyama, Lamsma, Cindy Wu, Yura Lee, Ye-Eun Choi, David Coucheron, Patocka, Jinjoo Cho, Angelia Cho, Yang Xu, Enamoto, Hadelich, Eunice Keem, Celeste Golden, Sthepanie Jeong and Anna Tifu, meanwhile wait for the jury.

September 6, 2006 at 02:28 PM · Eunice KeeM, not KeeN....old Meadowmount friend, plays Bach VERY well.

Preston

September 6, 2006 at 03:22 PM · Is anyone actually in Indy? I so wanted to go and be there. I'd love to know what the entire atmosphere of the competition is like, as much as I want to hear everyone's thoughts about the playing.

September 6, 2006 at 05:53 PM · I'm not in Indy. :(

What did you guys think of Yuuki Wong's performance today? I know he's a great player because of his fabulous performances and prizes in the Sibelius Competition (I think), but I would say today was not one of his better days. :(

Too many sad faces in this post. Here's a happy face: :)

September 6, 2006 at 06:04 PM · I agree Julie, i have the perception that Yuuki is best player than he show today, simply a bad day.

September 6, 2006 at 06:31 PM · Laurie, the atmosphere there is like cornfields mixed with diesel exhaust, with the sounds of screeeee weedly weedly screee SCREEE floating through the air. I might go for a day or two but I lack motivation. Maybe my house will burn down or something and I'll have an excuse to go somewhere.

September 6, 2006 at 06:49 PM · Ok, they are in the semifinals, is official: Matsuyama, Shtereva, Lamsma, Wang, Yano, Kobayashi, Yura Lee, Choi, Jinjoo Cho, Hristova, Minami, Hadelich, Eunice Keem, Celeste Golden, Sthepanie Jeong and Anna Tifu, what a big surprise, Coucheron and Patocka are out, i think that they with Xu was played very well, i guess that was a difficult decision.

September 6, 2006 at 06:45 PM · wow, celeste golden sounded fantastic! great sound, and such a focused vibrato. Eunice Keem was wonderful as well. It seemed like every single note was practiced extensively.

September 6, 2006 at 07:41 PM · OMG. David Coucheron should've been one of the semifinalists. This is not fair! :'(

September 6, 2006 at 07:54 PM · Hey, what happened to Katalin Kokas?? :(

No Hungarian victory at Indy 2 times in a row? ;)

September 6, 2006 at 08:05 PM · I live in Indy. I've had schedule conflicts so far this year and haven't been down to see any in person, but I'm planning to see several of the semifinal sessions starting tomorrow. I've been lucky enough to see the '98 and '02 competitions in person as well. The atmosphere, at least from the audience perspective, is more that of a music festival than a competition. Of course I'm sure the feeling is different for the participants! The hall they're using for the prelims and semifinals this year is new and has more of an "intimate" feeling -- it seats just under 300, so even the last row seats are not that far removed from stage. The theater is located on the Canal Walk downtown, which is an attractive and trendy part of town. It's a nice recital environment. I'd definitely recommend coming out to anyone in the area who hasn't decided yet.

September 6, 2006 at 08:17 PM · Maura i guess that Katalin has some displicents passages, mostly in the Bach Sonata, besides some brilliant moments, please check the archive and you can see that.

September 6, 2006 at 09:49 PM · Why isn't Dan Zhu in the semifinals, either? I thought he was marvelous!

September 6, 2006 at 09:53 PM · "Laurie, the atmosphere there is like cornfields mixed with diesel exhaust, with the sounds of screeeee weedly weedly screee SCREEE floating through the air."

Couldn't tell if the sound you described was referring to farm equipment, semi trucks, or violinists. Which is it?

September 6, 2006 at 10:01 PM · I thought Dan Zhu played technically better than Matsuyama. Maybe the Jury got sick and tired of the G minor sonata and Paganini #1 and #5 by then on Sunday. It is interesting that only 1 semifinalist is male.

September 6, 2006 at 10:29 PM · Emily, sorry, that's a combine hitting a chunk of granite.

September 6, 2006 at 11:21 PM · If you want to see the list of semi-finalists, here it is.

September 6, 2006 at 11:40 PM · Wow Yura Lee all the way...check out the her bowing skills in the Paganini #21. The tone too, super, she's so tiny, but her hands are so fast!

September 6, 2006 at 11:44 PM · GO YURA!!!!!!!!!!!

September 7, 2006 at 12:00 PM · There were some stunning musical moments (and longer periods of time) from people who did not make the semi-finals. I was particulary impressed with Rachel Harding's musicianship, but I suppose that the slip she made in the 1st Caprice went against her. I also loved Emilie Anne Gendron's playing, particularly her flute and horn Paganini caprice and her georgous Sibelius. I really liked Daniel Khalikov's Faure and his Bach, and I also really liked Yang Xu's thoughtful playing.

September 7, 2006 at 09:22 AM · I was sorry to see that Coucheron didn't make it. The restraint and unusual thoughtfullness of his playing were very appealing. Also, it was kind of nice to hear just one player whose tone was focused and beautiful, but not gigantic.

September 7, 2006 at 01:42 PM · i find Coucheron and Lee very uninteresting...hard to watch too, lee's stacatto is fantastic, but where does that get you.

i really like the bulgarian, daniela, and simon. one of the 16 year olds is pretty good too...the first one. im kind of disappointed with the quality of the competitors, though. it's nothing like the queen elizabeth, or even the last indianapolis competition. oh well

September 8, 2006 at 04:55 AM · I haven't watched every performance but I was surprized that Dalibor Karvay didn't make it into the top sixteen.

September 8, 2006 at 04:55 AM · I haven't watched every performance but I was surprized that Dalibor Karvay didn't make it into the top sixteen.

September 8, 2006 at 01:20 PM · Today, Simone Lamsma with 3 of my favorites sonatas (LVB #7, Prokofiev #1 and Ysaye #6), i can´t miss this recital. Yesterday a really goods performances, a little clean Matsuyama´s performance, but Shtereva is a really brave player with her "a take no prisioner" style. Bravo.

September 8, 2006 at 01:41 PM · For me it feels very good that in general, (except for a few) the most intelligent, creative, and musical performers made it to the semi-finals! I wish them all the best!!

September 8, 2006 at 03:28 PM · I thought Jinjoo Cho's performance was really incredible up to the last Caprice. No.1 was too "tuggy" like she was fighting a battle.

I love how she vibrates the 10ths in No.24. Her sound is incredible and her interpretations were very good. I see why she won Montreal.

She plays with confidence, even when she has a slip up like at the end of the fuga and the middle section of the slow encore piece.

(")<

September 8, 2006 at 06:20 PM · I agree with Bob's assessment. Also I get the impression it's less a spectacle and more of a single single-minded thing, in part probably because it isn't named after a queen. Everyone in the semis are outstanding musicians, which gives me a nagging feeling a couple of the winners dropped out before the prelims.

September 8, 2006 at 08:08 PM · Simone Lamsma was incredibly solid. Her Ysaye 6 was right on the money. Fantastic double stop runs!

September 8, 2006 at 08:52 PM · I agree Brian, i can´t recover to her performance in Ysaye Sonata 6 and to the 2nd movement in the Prokofiev´s, Simone Lamsma is a incredible player.

September 9, 2006 at 02:56 AM · wait for augustin :) itll be him vs lamsma for the gold :)

September 9, 2006 at 05:24 AM · But so far have not one single player managed to play those glissani in the beginning of Sheng's piece convincing.

Why are they trying to hide them? He wrote them after all!

September 9, 2006 at 09:52 AM · Maybe the competitors should study the erhu to learn some authentic glissandi in Chinese music or learn from a Chinese teacher who knows a thing or two about Chinese opera. LOL.

September 9, 2006 at 10:39 AM · Not a too crazy suggestion for this kind of rep :)

September 9, 2006 at 02:10 PM · The glissandos are harder than it looks, to make it sound very convincing on a violin...

September 9, 2006 at 02:17 PM · Congratulations Yura, im speechless about your Beethoven.

Best of luck.

September 9, 2006 at 02:20 PM · Well, you ought to know Yura. You managed very well if I may say so :)

Good luck in the finale!

September 9, 2006 at 05:56 PM · Congratulations Yura on your performances! You have such wonderful poise and control. You convey so much through the violin and it's just a joy to listen to you play, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

September 10, 2006 at 04:52 AM · Yes, you're speaking for everyone. And what a gorgeous sound. I was thinking no one could wish for a better accompanist for the competition than Rohan Desilva. I was also thinking there's a formula-1 driver with the same name, which is especially appropriate for Indy. What a gas.

September 9, 2006 at 07:44 PM · What if it's the same multi-talented person?

September 9, 2006 at 08:17 PM · They looked all over the world for a suitable pianist named Bobby Rahall, A. J. Foyt, or Al Unser Jr. Ultimately it came down to Rohan Desilva, who luckily is a pretty good pianist.

September 9, 2006 at 08:27 PM · I played with the glissandi a bit (without the score) in Sheng's piece. Here is what you can do:

First, put on a weak mute. (Some might call this cheating. I call it creativity. LOL.)

Second, do NOT press the strings against the fingerboard. (This is hard to do unless your violin has steel strings.) In addition, press the strings using a bit of the fingernail.

Third, bow close to the bridge with lots of pressure.

One of the remaining competitors should try the above to blow away the competition. Hahaha. If this recipe leads to an award, I would like to take a 30% cut. :)

September 9, 2006 at 11:25 PM · Hi, is available Sheng´s piece score? i really enjoy Choi´s version, im curious about this glissandis.

September 10, 2006 at 04:31 AM · Luis - No, it is not avalible 'couse then the particpants culd have learned it home in advance and thatwould miss the point :)

Kevin - It is also important not to "hit" the top note too much (or hide the start note). It has to be more like jumping on a trampoline - Boooooing di :-)

September 10, 2006 at 01:15 PM · Yesterday, after his (7th) lesson, my (10-year-old) student showed me something he "discovered". He played some glissandi for me EXACTLY the way described by Mattias! I guess that kind of glissando is a natural thing to do but the training that advanced classical players receive somehow made it difficult. Maybe I should start teaching him the Sheng piece. LOL.

September 10, 2006 at 02:13 PM · It will e interesting to se how Hadelich manages them in a few minutes.

He really is a amazing violinist and deservs a bright future. Maybe more than most in IVCI.

His strong points are his good natural musicality, his intonation and his sweet tone. What he could use a bit more of is temper, and as just about everyone - Color :-)

September 10, 2006 at 06:42 PM · im going to go watch finals this friday/saturday! woohoo

September 10, 2006 at 11:35 PM · Does anyone have the final results??

September 11, 2006 at 12:04 AM · Rafe may be tomorrow, last 4 violinist will perform tomorrow, excelent group: Eunice Keem, Celeste Golden, Stephanie Jeong and Anna Tifu.

September 11, 2006 at 12:21 AM · Susan, just put it right in our faces. You should be up there, well you probably will soon enough.

I can't wait for the Romantic Concerto Finals! I hope someone will do Mozart 4 in the other finals. So pretty...

Vince

September 11, 2006 at 02:22 PM · Does anybody know how scoring is done? On the website for the competition there is or was a statement saying they use a unique scoring system that guarantees fairness. I assumed it was something like a formula to run the scoring results through which is designed to reduce the effect of a judge's clear slant toward one individual.

But something Lewis Wong said in another thread has me thinking in a different direction. I'm wondering now if it instead means focusing on objective scoring criteria - number of missed notes, for example.

This could still mean that the most "musical" if you will or accomplished players are moving on, since in the real world it may well follow that they are the ones also making the fewest objective mistakes. This would give the illusion that the scoring is based on more esoteric or "musical" criteria. Interesting.

September 11, 2006 at 12:50 PM · I can't help having the impression that there is a score for stage presence which includes what one wears. I think Hadelich was the most well-dressed male competitor who didn't screw up muscially and maybe it is one reason why he is the only male semifinalist. LOL.

September 11, 2006 at 01:16 PM · Not a good day to wear your Def Leppard t-shirt. I really wish shorter skirts were en vogue.

September 11, 2006 at 01:49 PM · If you open the commemorative program on the IVCI website (www.violin.org), the scoring is explained in detail on page 87.

September 11, 2006 at 02:31 PM · Thanks Erika, for the page number especially. It looks like I was closer to right the first time. I noticed the statement a long time ago and I don't think it was elaborated on then. Is your husband going to be concertmaster for the orchestra portion? Will you be in the orchestra? P.S. That's probably in the program too:)

September 11, 2006 at 05:47 PM · For sure, Celeste Golden in the final, what a performance¡¡¡¡

September 11, 2006 at 05:51 PM · Violin competitions should have a scoring system like that in diving or figure skating. First, there should be an "objective" difficulty score on each selected piece. So people know in advance which pieces will tally up more points if played note-perfect.

So a bunch of technical judges look for missed notes and intonation problem. An another bunch of artistic judges judging on the musicality. That will be a lot fairer (and duller) than the so-called fair computerized system at IVCI.

September 11, 2006 at 06:54 PM · Jim, nope, I'm not a musician myself, just a fan. :)

Frank Huang (laureate of the '02 competition, among other accomplishments) will be concertmaster for the Classical finals with the chamber orchestra, then my husband will be concertmaster for the Romantic finals with the ISO. From what I've seen so far of the semifinals, it's going to be terrific finals!

September 11, 2006 at 08:21 PM · I actually rather prefer the Van Cliburn/IVCI system. The computer doesn't do anything except execute a computational transform that accounts for individual marking styles and then targets all the jurors to the same average. (The main idea behind the computerized method is that an individual juror often says more with the distribution and the spacing of the scores than in the actual scores themselves.)

If you don't mind my bringing a piano competition into this, the Cliburn also has an interesting system for "controversial" competitors. If a competitor shows up in the top three positions of three or more jurors but is not passed, any of the three can request discussion over the controversial candidate. Each member of the jury is asked to consider whether the candidate lowest on their list of candidates to be promoted is significantly stronger than the controversial candidate. If another juror does not favour their candidate much more over the controversial candidate, a revote is taken for the last place only. (I'm not exactly sure how that helps if the fourth juror's lowest candidate on their promotion list isn't being promoted, but I don't know.)

The Cliburn handbook -- http://www.cliburn.org/uploads/pdfs/jury_handbook_2005.pdf -- quite an interesting read.

As for a system similar to that of figure skating, I'm not a big fan of either the first nor the second, although there might be something to be said for accounting for technical difficulty of the pieces in scoring. However, that leads to another problem -- while it might be easy to go through a figure skating routine, which can be discretely separated into individual elements, it's much harder to do this with actual music pieces.

September 11, 2006 at 09:47 PM · Go Celeste!! Win this one!

September 12, 2006 at 01:28 AM · And the finalists are:

Ye-Eun Choi

Celeste Golden

Augustin Hadelich

Bella Hristova

Simone Lamsma

Yura Lee

I'm personally a little surprised by the inclusion of Hristova in favour of Cho.

September 12, 2006 at 01:42 AM · It's a shame about Jinjoo, she's an amazing violinist and musician. But she will certainly have a great career, regardless. I'm rooting for Celeste! :)

September 12, 2006 at 01:47 AM · OMG, i know nothing about this, may be a lot of problem with E string to Jinjoo, i really enjoy Anna Tifu too, but Choi, Yura, Celeste and Lamsma are in.

Best of luck

September 12, 2006 at 02:41 AM · JinJoo will do very well... she plays beautifully with great technical command and she's cute so I have no doubts about her having a great career. Don't really get Ye Eun Choi but whatever...

September 12, 2006 at 03:53 AM · I'm shocked that Saeka Matsuyama didn't make the final 6.

September 12, 2006 at 03:54 AM · Same feelings about Jinjoo Cho, she was really my favorite. I can see not picking her from a technical competition perspective because it wasn't absolutely clean. But I definitely felt that I would pay more money for a ticket to watch and listen to her and for anyone else.

Also, congrats Yura Lee!!! I know you're a member here, so yay! Your performance was, obviously, amazing.

September 12, 2006 at 05:51 AM · Yura! Show them who's the boss!

September 12, 2006 at 03:55 PM · Just so you guys know, we've made this discussion so that it will accept unlimited posts. So you can keep talkin'!

September 12, 2006 at 05:22 PM · Thank you Laurie!

I agree on what the radio commentator said (ships?): "Yura Lee is the first one in the semi's to get four points in my book"

And I must add that Hedelich's playing left me all warm inside.

September 12, 2006 at 05:35 PM · Stephen Shipps is a big deal I hear, so that's a good compliment. (unless he gives everyone else ten points or something :) Go Yura! You're the only one who'll talk to us.

September 12, 2006 at 05:58 PM · Yes sir, Go Yura, you are a v.comers favorite. Best of luck

September 12, 2006 at 07:48 PM · woah Yura's like... seriously good. Plus she's funny.

September 12, 2006 at 08:29 PM · I feel sorry for the judges on this one -- it must have been tough.

I will say that Celeste Golden's second-round performance really knocked me out, so I was pleased to see her make the cut.

Count me a huge Yura Lee fan as well.

I'm not surprised by the inclusion of Hristova; she quite impressed me -- but then I liked her Beethoven more than Eugene did, and her Ysaye also. Loved her Saint-Saëns.

September 12, 2006 at 10:10 PM · I remember hearing Yura Lee when she was like 12 years old playing the Paganini Violin Concerto. Since then, she's only gotten better and better. Go Yura!

September 12, 2006 at 11:39 PM · Shipps used to be Bella's teacher. I think he has a good ear for natural talent, but I've heard conflicting reports on his actual teaching.

Preston

September 13, 2006 at 12:56 AM · Apparently someone from here got extremely agitated on my blog over my opinion of Bella Hristova. Reports of my having a "hate-on" for her are greatly exaggerated.

Allow me to add to the Lee and Golden fanfest. It's quite different listening to Golden when you've heard about so many great things about her playing and you know she's made it to the finals already; you expect even more. She still outperformed my expectations.

By the way, I need to complain about you all. Listening to the IVCI and blogging it and discussing it has been such an enjoyable experience that I nearly missed the announcement of the semifinalists for the Leeds International Pianoforte Competition. :-)

September 13, 2006 at 03:55 AM · i picked Hadelich from the first round. but after hearing Golden in person in the second round, i don't know who is better. Her sound is huge! and there is no way to appreciate it except in the concert hall - too much distortion on the web video stream. I like Hristava a lot also - loved her Ysaye and Saint Saens.. and her Cheng was great though not as good as Lee's. I thought Tifu deserved to be in the finals more than Lamsma. Her (Tifu's) Tzigane was flawless.

September 13, 2006 at 04:05 AM · If you want a better listening experience, don't choose the video stream. Take the audio-only high-definition stream from WFYI instead; it's of a much higher quality, uses less bandwidth, and, if you're not too concerned about it, every bit worth not being able to actually see the competitors.

September 13, 2006 at 03:30 PM · YURA BETTER WIN!

September 13, 2006 at 04:36 AM · matsuyama. can't believe she didn't make the finals. did she screw up the semifinals somehow? i didn't get to Indy until Saturday. guess i'll have to go back to watch the video.

September 13, 2006 at 04:46 AM · Greetings,

Vincent, you only have people of less mainstream sexual preference and the tree huggers to go before you have alienated the whole universe. That was fast....

Cheers,

Buri

September 13, 2006 at 05:23 AM · Vincent... with all the grace of an exploding sewage plant.

September 13, 2006 at 06:22 AM · For Vincent:

sometimes facts are very confusing, to let me try to add to confusion even more ;-) ...

from http://www.anne-sophie-mutter.de/me_fk_ye-eun.php

Ye-Eun Choi, violin

"Ye-Eun Choi was born in 1988, Seoul , Korea.

She started to study violin at 6 years old and received instruction from professor Nam-Yun Kim in the pre-college course of the Korean National University of Arts.

Now, she lives in Munich and is studying with professor Ana Chumachenco."

So what can we expect more from such student, Vincent? And why? Enlighten us, Vincent, please.

FMF

September 13, 2006 at 08:58 AM · Hey, is Vincent actually "Keith?" ;-)

September 13, 2006 at 10:17 AM · Hi,

Mr. Russell - I was wondering the same thing!

Pieter - you crack me up!

Best of luck to all the accomplished violinists who have made the Finals!

CHEERS!

September 13, 2006 at 11:03 AM · Vincent is here to make friends I see!

And FMF - isn't the answer obvious??? She was born during the olympics so no wonder that she has a fire burning during the entire competition :)

Christian-you have the "/" on the wrong side of the "b" - care to fix it? ;-)

September 13, 2006 at 11:14 AM · There is a troll here, whether in disguise or not!

September 13, 2006 at 12:17 PM · I think I fixed it. Or not.

September 13, 2006 at 04:16 PM · You needed a double-close. Anyways, I got a couple of questions:

1. Why was the Kreutzer the only Beethoven Sonata nobody could play?

2. Oddly enough, they have Hadelich playing behind Golden in the finals order, when, going by the original draw, Golden would be last. Everything else goes by original order -- any reason for this? How did they determine the finals order, anyways?

September 13, 2006 at 01:51 PM · I think Beethoven KR might be too long.

Darn it! I knew I made a mistake --

And no, I'm not Keith and no I'm not a troll.

I'm a law student w/ a BM in music performance.

Vince

September 13, 2006 at 01:53 PM · Eugene, I expect no one did the Kruetzer because of it's massiveness. There is no way I would program the Kreutzer, another sonata, a concert piece and a modern piece if I had to play all the way through without intermission. I'm not sure, but there might have also been time constrictions and the Kreutzer is a decent length longer than most of the other sonatas.

September 13, 2006 at 01:54 PM · Sorry to post again - I too felt Jinjoo deserved a spot in the finals but then I never heard everyone and it's not fair to judge having not heard everyone.

The Jury is in a tough spot from the beginning and I'm glad I'm not one of them.

Congratulations to all the players for just making it into and through the competition. That in itself is a huge feat to accomplish mentally and physically.

September 13, 2006 at 02:01 PM · I haven't had a chance to read every word on this thread, so apologies if it's been already covered - but does anyone know how Eric Silberger did? I sort of know him indirectly through his grandfather, John Hsu. I did see that he wasn't on the semi-finals list, but I wonder if he gave a good account of himself?

September 13, 2006 at 03:00 PM · Eric Silberger played a stunning first round, his Paganini Caprices were the most brilliant and charismatic in the competition. If this competiton was fair, he should have been advanced.

The following is the link to his performance.

http://www.wfyi.org/violin/EricSilberger.asx

September 13, 2006 at 03:14 PM · Ooh, rooting for you, Yura!

September 13, 2006 at 03:33 PM · Eugene, Augustine is playing last because there are so many Bartoks (four, I believe?) and they are trying to make the program a bit less "three-Bartoks-in-a-row"...

Thanks so much everyone for your kind support! I'll try my best...

-Yura

September 13, 2006 at 03:51 PM · Hi,

GOOK LUCK AND KICK SOME BEHIND YURA!

Cheers!

September 13, 2006 at 03:55 PM · I can take 4 Shostakovich like in Montreal... but 4 Bartoks??? I was going to stay in and watch these live but now I think I'll do something else.

September 13, 2006 at 03:59 PM · Four Mozart 5s, too...

September 13, 2006 at 04:01 PM · Yura, you're amazing! Good luck!

September 13, 2006 at 04:21 PM · @ Kelsey: Actually, it wasn't permitted to play the Kreutzer -- it wasn't on the admitted repertoire list. Perhaps the length was the determining factor? (It's a shame -- I've actually played the piano part!)

According to the program, Golden is playing Mozart 4, Choi Mozart 3, Hadelich Mozart 2, and Hristova is playing Haydn, so we aren't exactly inundated with Mozart 5s. :-) I'll post a full list of played competition repertoire sometime.

Yura, best of luck to you. And best of luck to all the competitors, too.

September 13, 2006 at 04:12 PM · Hey, Yura, what fun to see you posting right now - I just spent the past 45 minutes staring at you, just marveling at your semi-finals performance. Wow - just amazing!

September 13, 2006 at 04:15 PM · Eugene... the recital program for the semifinals is limited to 75 minutes, so I'm guessing the length of the Kreutzer keeps it off the list.

September 13, 2006 at 05:08 PM · It was such a shame that Kati Kokas didn't even make it into the semis, for she is such an astounding violinist. She didn't have such a great day : (

I would say my favorites are Augustin Hadelich and Yura Lee!!!! Kudos and best of luck!

September 13, 2006 at 05:57 PM · I remember that there was 3 in a row Shosty´s in the Montreal final first day (Ye-Eun Choi, Dan Zhu and Mayuko Kamio), was a little boring, there are 3 Bartoks (Yura, Hadelich and Hristova), two Shostys 1(Lamsma and Choi) and a Dvorak (Celeste Golden).

September 13, 2006 at 08:07 PM · Yeah, I was surprised that Kati didn't get to the semis, I've heard fantastic things about her. Ah well, s*** happens. Good luck Yura!! Heck, good luck everybody!

September 13, 2006 at 11:47 PM · Yura: Loved your Mozart... could only see the 1st mvt but really, fantastic playing. I love your approach to Mozart.

September 14, 2006 at 12:01 AM · The 3 performances was really good, may be Yura was most involved with mozart criteria, but Lasma performance was very clean and Choi tone was really amazing, is a really tight competition.

September 14, 2006 at 12:34 AM · Raphael,

I was stunned by Eric's technique. He did some AMAZING stuff, but unfortunately, he was also a bit sloppy in many places and did have a rather unfortunate end to his performance. Still, I thought he would advance in spite of it just because he's such a unique and talented player. I certainly found his performance one of the most interesting of the competition. I hope we'll see more of him.

By the way, I'm still hurting over Dan Zhu not advancing. He was one of my favorites in the prelims. Anyone else agree?

Congrats to Yura. You're amazing! Are you really just 5 foot tall or am I confusing you with someone else? If you are, how do you play Paganini like that? I'm stunned!

-Laura

September 14, 2006 at 01:36 AM · I was also very impressed with Eric's performance, despite the unfortunate shaking at the end which no doubt cost him some points. He definitely stood out as being very soloistic.

September 14, 2006 at 11:43 PM · Who say that classics VC are easy, Hadelich was brillant in Mozart VC 2, sadly Bella and Celeste was a lot of problems.

September 15, 2006 at 02:52 AM · Dan just didn't play very well, very cleanly -- it was very technical which is not good.

YURA you were freakin amazing -- your color and your sound variance is sooo wonderful -- it makes listening to Mozart awesome! Something I've found only Perlman can do for me.

Thanks so much... you win this round... god and amazing sound. It was a privilege listening to you; I'm serious. I think I shall shed a tear almost -- so much talent! thanks again!

Vince

September 15, 2006 at 03:05 AM · Vincent, if you're critiquing Dan Zhu, you are being rather heartless. Dan's Paganini blew me away. Dan and Yura are both excellent players and deserve to be commended for their wonderful performances and accomplishments at this competition.

September 15, 2006 at 03:19 AM · I won't claim to know anything about Zhu Dan's Paganini playing, mainly because I didn't see it, but I did watch his Chopin (the only piece at this competition I can actually claim to have played!) and, with all due respect, I was rather turned off.

There's a really fine scale that applies, I think. Don't put enough passion into the piece, and it doesn't scream for emotional help. Go too far, and that screaming turns into screeching. The Nocturne in Zhu Dan's hands, as I felt it, wasn't the crying out loud that it was meant to be.

September 15, 2006 at 03:22 AM · Eugene, I also felt the same in regards to the Chopin and somewhat in the Bach (not as much as the Chopin though) as well but I'm trying to be fair critique all around and point out that Dan most definetly has strong points and his flare for Paganini and his characterization I felt were effective. I just felt Vincent's comments were a little bit too strongly negative and they were directed right at Dan. As a teacher, I always try to pick out the postive AND the negative not just make some big generalization.

Just trying to keep the peace! hehe

September 15, 2006 at 05:25 AM · Augustin's Mozart 2nd and Yura's 5th were great. i preferred Augustin. I believe the competition is between these two. We get a real showdown next round when both play the Bartok's 2nd.

Anyone with any insights on Bartok's 2nd as a competition piece? Why did half the field pick Bartok and Shostakovich? Is Brahms just too easy?

September 15, 2006 at 08:51 AM · Celeste is playing Dvorak supposedly... That is Brahmsesque.

Well, I'm a teacher as well, though in viola. Even so, I know my music and Dan Zhu (to me) is lacking in a few things. His paganini sure it was fast and you can hear almost every note but his thirds were out of tune and not always in tempo. They felt rushed and played too virtuosically -- I think there is a certain way to play preliminaries (hello, the point is to get to the next round not blow your competition away with virtuoso playing that is hopefully on that day). His sound was pressed and though he has great stage presence, all you can hear and feel is technique. It is hard with Paganini to add that extra whatever you need to make it special (ie. Shlomo Mintz's Caprices), that's probably why people like playing other caprices like 24.

Sorry, I'm just really picky and I think the judges were right with this one.

Not negative, just being real.

Vince

September 15, 2006 at 10:30 AM · Yura, you were amazing in your Mozart! It was WONDERFUL!!!

I tried listening to Ausutin's Mozart, but for some reason, it didn't work, so I listened to Simone Lamsma's. She's REALLY good too!

September 15, 2006 at 11:56 AM · Regarding Dan Zhu not advancing: I think the question is not whether or not he played all the pieces well in the prelims. I think the question should be how he compared with other people who actually advanced. For example, Miki Kobayshi (who advanced to the semifinal) has brilliant technique and almost nothing else. Her Paganini #5 sounds like coming from a machine. To some, that's a good thing. To others, that's not a good thing. So if you just compare Dan and Miki, what would you say?

September 15, 2006 at 12:07 PM · I doubt that the jury has one rubric of prioritized criteria for advancement. I know about the scoring system, but it seems to me that that system leaves it in question whether someone with machine-like, astounding technique but little else advances, or someone with a profound and unique musical personality but imperfect technique.

Perhaps the big deciding factor should be the question, "were the performances memorable, and did the problems seem incidental rather than representative?"

September 15, 2006 at 01:15 PM · Changing the subject just a bit here with a pianist-type question -- what's the tradition behind playing with the orchestra during the tuttis in a classical violin concerto? It's a lovely gesture and I don't understand why some don't do it.

September 15, 2006 at 01:59 PM · yes augustin was the only one of the contestants to play during the tutti for the classical finals. it is a gesture that says the orchestra is not here to serve me, we're here to serve the music.

September 15, 2006 at 02:21 PM · Do you mean Hadelich was the only violinist to play during all the tutti? Because Yura Lee played most of the opening tutti and Hristova joined in the tutti just before coming in, I think.

September 15, 2006 at 02:25 PM · It's easier to make a smooth transition into the solo violin line when you're playing tutti. It kind of relaxes you, so to speak, so your entrance won't just go kaboom.

September 15, 2006 at 03:05 PM · Didn't Heifeitz do this even with a romantic concerto?

September 15, 2006 at 04:12 PM · Yura,

You were amazing. I enjoyed all your performances, but the Mozart was just beautiful.

All the others are very good too, its just that to me, Yura seemed so much at ease with herself and the audience.

September 15, 2006 at 04:21 PM · Eugene - traditionally pianist did that too. Chopin performed his Em concerto with a chambergroup and played during the tuttis, Bach played always and there are even accounts of Beethoven playing the piano in his symphonies!

And it is not a gesture to the orchestra - it is about making music. We "know" that Corelli, Tartini, Vivaldi, Locatelli and Viotti played during the tutti and there are scolars that believe that the idea was not alien to Woffie himself. Joachim played during the ritornello for the Beethoven and of more present time (super)violinist Endre Wolf played during the ritornello of Tchai, but that is a totally different story... :)

September 15, 2006 at 04:35 PM · Actually, not sure if I am correct but the tradition stems from having no conductor normally for chamber orchestras. The violinist would be the conductor, swing around his bow a few times for a beat, and then come in with the orchestra... directing them by the music till he's ready to solo.

And Miki didn't play Paganini Caprice 5 just to correct you. And her caprices were IMPRESSIVE! That's all, and that is probably what the judges thought -- not "intonation problems". Simple as that.

Vince

September 15, 2006 at 04:49 PM · Thanks Vincent for pointing out my mistake. Miki played Paganini 13 and 23. So I stand corrected. Now you haven't answered the question: Between two technicians Dan and Miki, why did Miki advanced and not Dan? In fact, did Miki deserve to advance at all? Anyway, this is not that important since it is hard to dispute that the six finalists deserved their places.

P.S. Note that I do not agree with your assessment of Dan's thirds being rushed in Paganini 1 (I supposed that is what you're referring to?). They were played with rubato in the sense of borrowed time. (Just tap along in strict time and the ricochet falls on the beat again.)

September 15, 2006 at 06:43 PM · the thirds were definitely questionable. You can't hear them all, and as a judge, that would be a big turn off. Rubato is ok, but you still have to be able to hear the notes.

For a good example of rubato in that section, listen to Shlomo Mintz's recording. You can hear all the notes clearly there.

September 15, 2006 at 07:25 PM · Yup, Brian got it. It's about cleanliness as well as virtuosity -- I mean, after a while it just sounds like faking.

Vince

Miki because she was the cleaner of the two. And her other pieces were good as well... Ciaconne and something else.

September 15, 2006 at 08:36 PM · I read somewhere RBP came in 11th when she was in the Q.E. Don't know what else she did, but my feeling is this is a kind of snapshot in time, not necessarily very meaningful in the end.

September 15, 2006 at 08:55 PM · Wowzers, I was just listening to Augustin play the Mozart #2, super!

September 15, 2006 at 09:02 PM · Who's RBP?

September 15, 2006 at 09:05 PM · Lazy English for Rachel Barton Pine.

September 15, 2006 at 10:03 PM · Here we go, Romantic finals starting momentarily! I'm tuned in...Simone Lamsma is taking the stage for Shosti.

September 15, 2006 at 10:54 PM · Yura Lee is sounding absolutely BRILLIANT in the Bartok. You GO girl!

September 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM · Go Yura! She is BRILLIANT! Her Bartok is absolutely amazing.

I thought Simone Lamsma was rather Ice Queen-ish.

September 15, 2006 at 11:03 PM · I agree re: Simone. Her technique was fantastic (I counted only one note even slightly missed) but I felt like she didn't really have a deep understanding of the piece. Her fast mvts were much better than the slow ones--she had a suitably demonic madness for the Scherzo and Burlesque, but the Nocturne to me did not have nearly enough introspection, colors or depressing Russian/Soviet fatalism. As for the Passacaglia, again played too matter-of-factly and not philosophically enough for my taste. To me that mvt sounds like, you're standing alone on some bleak mountaintop looking at the entire twentieth century spread out in front of you, all the glories and all the tragedies and all the destruction, and you're crying to God about the injustice and all that was lost in the madness of the wars.

Yura is still kicking some serious butt. This is perhaps the best performance of Bartok 2 I have ever heard. They might as well stop the competition now and just hand her the gold, in my humble opinion. :)

September 15, 2006 at 11:11 PM · OH MY GOODNESS! I cannot stress enough how much I am enjoying Yura's performance!!!!!!

September 15, 2006 at 11:43 PM · I completely agree with everything you've said.

I was left amazed at the technicality of Lamsma, but un-moved.

Now Yura..this is just astounding. I've also never heard a better Bartok 2. I don't want it to end!

September 15, 2006 at 11:20 PM · As Robert Schumann is reported to have said after first hearing Chopin play:

"Hats off, gentlemen, a genius!"

September 15, 2006 at 11:23 PM · You know what is sad? I heard her teacher MF play this same concerto LIVE and I like her performance better over the internet!

Vince

September 15, 2006 at 11:25 PM · Well, teachers aren't always known for their playing. Who ever heard Galamian play a concerto? :) Ms. Fried must be a fantastic teacher, judging from Yura's INCREDIBLE playing!

September 15, 2006 at 11:28 PM · EVERYBODY UP!! Standing ovation, right here at our computers! BRAVA, BRAVA, BRAVISSIMA!!

September 15, 2006 at 11:31 PM · Go Yura! Go Hadelich!

September 16, 2006 at 12:06 AM · Ye-Eun Choi is doing a good job on the Shosti. She's not quite as technically solid as Lamsma but she's a heck of a lot more musical.

Anyone know who's playing what tomorrow night?

September 16, 2006 at 12:08 AM · Going back to the classicals for a second here -- am I hearing things, or is there really someone on the audio who's persistently humming during nice, lyrical second movements of Mozart concerti?

September 16, 2006 at 12:15 AM · I wish they could turn down the violin mic a bit. (Maybe the jury wanted it that way?) The violin sounds quite a bit bigger than the orchestra.

Am I hearing things or what? It seems Choi's bow direction changes are not that clean.

September 16, 2006 at 12:18 AM · Her technique is not perfect, but listen to that wonderfully mournful sound she's getting out of her fiddle in this Passacaglia. Now THAT'S a bit of the sound of the tragic twentieth century, that was missing in Lamsma's performance IMHO.

September 16, 2006 at 12:22 AM · Yes! THIS is a Passacaglia and Cadenza!

September 16, 2006 at 12:25 AM · Hehe. I like Oistrakh's cadenza more.

September 16, 2006 at 12:22 AM · Yes, Choi's Shosti is definitely moving me...a bit sloppy, but I'd take that over non-feeling- but- technically perfect anyday.

I wonder how Hadelich and Hristova are feeling, having to play the Bartok after Yura's grand slam?

I'm also interested in how the judges will respond to Goldens Dvorak, seeing as it's so different from the rest of the finalists' concertos.

September 16, 2006 at 12:30 AM · Not a bad performance for an 18-year-old. But I just love Oistrakh.

September 16, 2006 at 12:30 AM · That was fantastic. A bit sloppy in places yes, but that was totally unimportant in the face of such passionate musicality. She really understands this piece, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her.

OK, all in all a pretty good night! Signing off for now, see y'all tomorrow, same time same place!

September 16, 2006 at 12:42 AM · Wow friends, what a incredible night, Yura played near a perfection, im spechless, about Shostys i agree with Maura, Lamsma is tecnically more solid than Choi, but was really amazing performances both, i guess that only a perfect 10 Bartok from Hadelich can beat Yura, if not, Yura´s next performance will be on Gingold´s Strad.

September 16, 2006 at 12:49 AM · From the way Celeste sounded when she played the Dvorak concerto with the CIM orchestra last year, she won't have to worry! Hers was by far the best Dvorak concerto I've ever heard, live or on a recording...and I've heard a LOT of recordings of that piece!

Good luck to her!

September 16, 2006 at 02:51 AM · Yep, Celeste's got a real chance. If she plays the Dvorak anything like I heard her play it at Kingsville last spring, she'll definitely be a contender...

September 16, 2006 at 03:44 AM · i like Celeste too but her slipup in the cadenza of the Mozart 4, 1st movement is going to cost her. Yura is good, relaxed, interesting to watch, but Augustin has that something that really draws you in. I don't know the Bartok well but if you watch/listen to his Mozart the control and variety of color in his sound are above any one else's in this competition. and i was there in person to hear it. (i withdraw my earlier comment about no one else playing tutti)

i would buy his records even if he doesn't win gold in Indy.

September 16, 2006 at 05:19 AM · When is the Dvorak going down?

September 16, 2006 at 01:02 PM · I can't wait to hear the Dvorak. I'm sure I've told you guys a million times that Dvorak is "my piece" right now, and I think I own nearly every recording ever made. I can see how it's hard to win with, especially against the pyrotechnics of a Shosti or Bartok. It's kind of a strange piece.

September 16, 2006 at 02:03 PM · I wonder how much Celeste's Mozart will cost her. I don't think it was quite as "off" as most of us are intimating, and it certainly had it's strong points, not the least of which the opening of the 3rd movement. Who knows in these competitions?

I foresee that both Yura and Celeste will place very highly, provided that Celeste pulls through with the Dvorak.

Good luck and congratulations to all!

September 16, 2006 at 02:32 PM · I'm happy for all the wonderful violinists in the finals. Congrats and admiration all around!

Celeste plays one of the best Dvorak Concertos out there. I anticipate it will be fabulous!

Good luck to everyone!

September 16, 2006 at 04:08 PM · I think it will cost her.

First, let's point out that Mozart 1 (the key) and 5 (all the technical things) are the hardest of the five concertos, followed by 2 and 4, then 3.

So if you're going to play 2 and 4, and especially 3, you have to be awesomely perfect. The problem is that the only people that achieved that near perfection was Yura and Augustin (though I still prefer Yura).

And the thing with Yura is that, she made something out of it rather than just play "perfect Mozart". Perlman vs. Zukerman (Mozarts)

And Celeste's mix up was very obvious -- and some of her passages were definitely out of tune (meaning, her instrument definitely didn't "ring" when she played them). I was reading Con Law, and I still heard the screw up -- very obvious to me, and I don't even know that cadenza very well.

Vince

September 16, 2006 at 04:22 PM · By golly, I'm goin'. If you want to say hi, I'm the scraggly old man in the House of Blues T-shirt. Don't worry, it's safe.

September 16, 2006 at 05:19 PM · Again, when is this happening? I can never find the scheduale...

September 16, 2006 at 06:18 PM · The way Celeste played the Mozart 4 basically put her out of top spot. But she might sneak into the top 3. But with this jury, you never know what is going to happen.

The schedule can be found at www.violin.org

September 16, 2006 at 06:52 PM · Amy, you cannot possibly be serious that Celeste's Dvorak was the best you've ever heard. I mean, that would mean that she played it better than Oistrakh, Gimpel, Chung, Milstein, etc. That just doesn't make sense to me. I've heard her play it too, and it's excellent playing, but you can't possibly compare it to those people.

Anyway, prediction of placement:

Yura

Augustin

Ye-Eun

Simone

Celeste

Bella

September 16, 2006 at 06:58 PM · Is it possible for two competitors to tie for first place? Or is there a tie-breaking mechanism?

September 16, 2006 at 07:06 PM · Brian, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

September 16, 2006 at 07:11 PM · Just throwing this out there -- who should win the special prizes?

September 16, 2006 at 07:48 PM · Yeah, who gets Gingold's Strad?

Pieter, the live broadcast starts at 8:00 PM Eastern (US) time, on www.violin.org

September 16, 2006 at 07:51 PM · Speaking of the Gingold Strad -- I came across something really strange when I was reading the prizes. The winner gets the Josef Gingold 24k Gold Medal, but the Strad will be "made available to one of the competition's laureates for four years".

Has there ever been a situation where a laureate other than the winner was awarded the Strad?

September 16, 2006 at 09:17 PM · I guess if the gold medalist already had some sort of kick-ass violin but the 2nd place finisher had a hunk of junk, they might decide to give it to the one who needs a good violin?

September 16, 2006 at 09:36 PM · Amy was not lying about Celeste's Dvorak. Yes, perhaps it's hard to compare her to someone as prolific and famous as Oistrakh. However, I personally would take her interpretation over theres. Just because she's not one of the most famous violinists of all time doesn't mean she can't have an interpretation better than that of a "violin God". She has a warmth that she conveys through that concerto that is quite beautiful- she's able to sing through the long lines, even with all the technical mumbo-jumbo that often jumps in the way. She made it look extremly easy- which we all know it is not.

Question about the Mozarts- I know quite a few people who would rank Mozart 4 as just hard as the others, even 5. I know that 5 is the technical warhorse, but 4 is extremely tricky, especially for intonation at the exposition. That being said, it was unfortunate what happened in the cadenza. My bets are on Lee for the winner, but we'll just have to wait until the end to know for sure.

September 16, 2006 at 09:51 PM · Who knows how many times this has been said already, but YURA FOR THE GOLD! :)

September 16, 2006 at 09:44 PM · I only heard a few short clips of the classical portion of the finals. I have to say so far I like Ye-Eun Choi a lot. For one thing, her intonation is the very solid. Also I like Augustin Hadelich very much. Those two and Yura are top three for that portion in my book.

Also what's interesting for me is to listen to these clips without watching the visual from time to time.

September 16, 2006 at 10:03 PM · And off we go!

ETA: Wow, I didn't know they were going to announce the winners tonight.

September 16, 2006 at 10:09 PM · They're announcing them tonight?!

Bella Hristova sounds decent. A few instances of questionable intonation in the slow sections but nothing horrible.

September 16, 2006 at 10:31 PM · Yes, at 11pm Mountain Time.

I agree. Hristova is doing well, but it's hard for me to LOVE it.

I do love the way she can sing through her violin..

September 16, 2006 at 11:01 PM · Celeste has such a great sound. I haven't seen most of the performances of the finalists, but I listened to her Wieniawski Polonaise from the semifinals and she sounded AMAZING! She really makes music. I'm enjoying her Dvorak 2nd movement right now.

September 16, 2006 at 11:13 PM · Celeste has some intonation problems, as in her Mozart. It's starting to look like she won't even be in the top 3.

September 16, 2006 at 11:17 PM · Brian,

With all due respect, what's the point of arguing with someone's opinion about a player? I doubt your criticism of her is going to change people's minds who enjoy her playing.

In my opinion, a lot of people tend to elevate certain legendary violinists to this unattainable perfection, and insist that no other violinists can come close nowadays or whatever. I think it's a mistake to say that Celeste's Dvorak is "incomparable" to Oistrakh's. Oistrakh is incredible, obviously, but Celeste is a pretty damn amazing violinist herself, and she clearly has a great career ahead of her. You can disagree with me, but it won't change my opinion. :)

September 16, 2006 at 11:31 PM · Amy,

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I'm just stating mine. My opinions of violinists are based on what I hear. I'm sure if I'd been the first to say something and I said "Celeste's Dvorak is nice, but it doesn't compare to Gimpel's," you would've still stated your opinion saying "You CAN compare them and Celeste's is the best I've ever heard."

And like you said, "you can disagree with me..." so that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not trying to change your opinions, I'm just disagreeing.

September 16, 2006 at 11:27 PM · Celeste played with a lot of confident, your Dvorak was really, really good, may be some rush in the final tempo, IMO was not Allegro Giocoso ma non troppo, but i enjoyed so much.

September 16, 2006 at 11:40 PM · Celeste has a lovely sweet sound that I enjoyed very much in the first movement. The second movement was also nice although I prefer a more free-flowing, improvisatory rendition. As for the third movement, I found it sloppy. She had an unfortunate tendency to rush.

September 16, 2006 at 11:51 PM · I'm liking Hadelich's Bartok much better than Hristova's.

September 17, 2006 at 12:01 AM · Hadelich´s Bartok is so intense, i was in the edge of my chair in the first mov, amazing.

September 17, 2006 at 12:07 AM · He is doing fabulously.

Does anyone else hear a bit of nervousness in his playing?

September 17, 2006 at 12:14 AM · Yes, in some slow passages.

September 17, 2006 at 12:23 AM · Go Augustin go! Wow!!!! What a great way to finish the competition!!!!

September 17, 2006 at 12:22 AM · I can't believe this performance is the last thing we'll hear of the IVCI until another 4 years. It's been a great 16 days.

September 17, 2006 at 12:22 AM · Wow, hella people liked Augustin.

September 17, 2006 at 12:31 AM · Wow. Third Movement was STUNNING! Gave me shivers in some places, like the glissando near the end of the 2nd movement. Bravo!

This has been such a wonderful competition! Congrats to all who participated...amazing!

September 17, 2006 at 12:25 AM · Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed Augustin's performance. Yura is still tops in my opinion, but Augustin was just fabulous. Very musical, exciting, spot-on technically. My picks for medals: Yura Lee gold, Augustin Hadelich silver, Ye-Eun Choi bronze. Oooooh this is going to be a long half-hour of WAITING TO FIND OUT!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2006 at 12:24 AM · I agree with Julie, what a competition, i hope that the Paganini, in one week, will be a half in emotions than this.

September 17, 2006 at 12:30 AM · I didn't get a chance to see Yura's Bartok. I tried a zillion times clicking the link, but it always went to the Mozart 5. RAH! So, unfortunately, I can't make any final judgements. :/

September 17, 2006 at 12:32 AM · Yeah... my computer won't let me watch any of yesterday's finalists... I heard parts of them.. but not really. I'm guessing they're not uploaded yet?

I thought Celeste played really well- sure, there a few mistakes, but that's natural- I thought she was great. Hadelich really was amazing, though!

September 17, 2006 at 12:32 AM · Maura, I totally agree with your placements, but I wonder if the judges will take Lamsma over Choi because of her superior techinical skills.

September 17, 2006 at 12:33 AM · Did anybody else's live feed suddenly die out? I'm not even getting that Spanish piece that Stephen Shipps said they were gonna put on the air.

September 17, 2006 at 12:40 AM · The video feed seems to stop after each performance. Try the audio feed.

September 17, 2006 at 12:45 AM · Oh my God, Yura will be in the Paganini, Coucheron and the best young player in Venezuela, Alexis Cardenas too. I played with Alexis when he was 15, he is a incredible violinist.

September 17, 2006 at 12:47 AM · Luis, how do you know who's in the Paganini Competition?

September 17, 2006 at 12:55 AM · Julie, link http://www.paganini.comune.genova.it/premio_premio2006_intro_eng.htm and download the pdf playbill.

September 17, 2006 at 01:01 AM · Ya Yura's going to win. She's sick with it.

I didn't like all of the Dvorak but she's a very human player, and I'd like to hear more of her. She'll have a career outside of competitions for sure.

Brian, I agree with Amy. We all know Oistrakh is the bees knees... get over it... there's a new great violinist in town and her name isn't Vanessa Mae.

September 17, 2006 at 01:18 AM · Unbelievable. As I predicted, this jury is unpredictable. Maybe something is wrong with the computer.

Yes, Augustin!!!!!!

September 17, 2006 at 01:17 AM · 6th - Bella

5th - Ye-Eun

4th - Yura WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

3rd - Celeste

2nd - Simone

1st - Augustin

I don't believe this.

September 17, 2006 at 01:19 AM · My goodness. How weird are those results?

Makes no sense at all.

September 17, 2006 at 01:19 AM · I agree!

September 17, 2006 at 01:19 AM · WHAT THE HELL?????????????????????????

September 17, 2006 at 01:19 AM · That's the problem with competitions. They rarely make sense.

September 17, 2006 at 01:19 AM · I don't understand at all.... HOW did Yura only place 4th??? I REALLY thought she was going to win! She totally deserved it!

- A very confused Pratik

September 17, 2006 at 01:20 AM · happy that augustin won but yura was robbed.

September 17, 2006 at 01:20 AM · YEA, I seriously thought she should've won. OMG. But nonetheless, we're all very proud of you, Yura. The results are just messed up.

September 17, 2006 at 01:20 AM · Yura blew everyone else away with that Bartok!!! And Ye-Eun's Shostakovich was really something special. Simone Lamsma second???? What????

September 17, 2006 at 01:21 AM · Yura was robbed no doubt. There must have been a glitch in the computer scoring system.

September 17, 2006 at 01:22 AM · Golden placing above Yura and Choi...

No offense to Golden...just seemed to me those two should have been ahead of her in this particular competition.

September 17, 2006 at 01:22 AM · Celeste Golden was good, but I thought the memory slip would seriously do her in. I mean, we all know IVCI hates memory slips (cough 2002 Competition, Sergey Khachatryan in the 3rd mvt. of the Sibelius competition).

September 17, 2006 at 01:24 AM · I know nothing about competitions, may be Agustin deserve win, no problem, but Yura out of the medals? Somebody can explain to me in easy english?.

September 17, 2006 at 01:22 AM · Egad, it's like those perennial scoring scandals in gymnastics or figure skating.......to HELL with competitions anyway, that's not what music is about......GRRRRRRr.....

September 17, 2006 at 01:22 AM · Congrats to everyone, especially Celeste! :)

September 17, 2006 at 01:23 AM · HAHAHA I like how we're all united about the messed-up-ness of the results of the IVCI.

September 17, 2006 at 01:23 AM · Luis, it's ridiculous in any language. "Very crazy" in Spanish = "Muy loco"?

September 17, 2006 at 01:24 AM · Yes, I'll say it again, congrats to all the finalists. I believe they will all have very nice careers.

September 17, 2006 at 01:24 AM · Luis, I doubt anybody here on this board could explain to you in English or Spanish (that is your native language, right? Apologies if I got it wrong).

September 17, 2006 at 01:24 AM · We should write letters to the IVCI Jury.

September 17, 2006 at 01:25 AM · you guys jinxed her

September 17, 2006 at 01:24 AM · Though Yura didn't make the top three, can we have a congratulations here? She just played fabulously in a very difficult competition and got fourth prize. That isn't exactly shabby. Congratulations, Yura!

September 17, 2006 at 01:25 AM · LOL, thanks Maura i guess that you use the corrects words, muy loco todo esto.

September 17, 2006 at 01:27 AM · I think we can congratulate the finalists and complain about unfair scoring at the same time.

September 17, 2006 at 01:28 AM · Well, like Ida Kavafian said in the interview, winning isn't life or death.

September 17, 2006 at 01:27 AM · Gracias, Luis.

Agreed Amy, a very sincere congratulations to EVERYBODY at IVCI. Now let us ornery prima donnas get back to our ranting and screaming. :)

September 17, 2006 at 01:28 AM · i'm looking forward to tomorrow's gala. it will be nice that we get to hear all the finalists again, without the pressure. Lots of nice encore music i'm sure. congrats to all the finalists. i don't know when i'll hear such great music making again.

September 17, 2006 at 01:27 AM · Thanks Eugene, your are right, my english is deficient, but, was not the music a universal language?, more of we can apreciatte with some expertice that here be, Lamsma and Celeste are great players, but in this competition Yura played best of they, IMHO of course.

September 17, 2006 at 01:31 AM · I wouldn't worry too much about results of competitions... the real professional world has a habit of sorting these things out.

September 17, 2006 at 01:33 AM · Yeah, competitions ARE basically crap shoots, anything weird can happen--LIKE CRAZY JUDGES AND CRAZY RESULTS!!! :)

September 17, 2006 at 01:33 AM · Unfortunately, the professional world involves many things other than music as well. So I guess this is just a practice for the real world? :)

September 17, 2006 at 01:28 AM · Haha, Maura! I agree. Congratulations to everyone who participated!

Yura is still my favorite, though. Even though the competition is over and the winner has been decided and announced, anyone who manages to get almost all the posters on a v.com board to fall completely in love with their playing, and anyone who manages to get everyone to think they should automatically win a competition with or without everyone having played is amazing!

September 17, 2006 at 01:32 AM · YES!!!!

Augustin Hadelich won!!!!!!!

although i am very dissapointed that Yura placed fourth.

September 17, 2006 at 01:34 AM · Did the jury have cotton balls in their ears???

September 17, 2006 at 01:36 AM · new topic.

best ysaye - i think it's between hristova and choi. ysaye 6 rocks.

best classical - hadelich

September 17, 2006 at 01:36 AM · As Pratik and Maura say "Congratulations to everyone who participated"!.

Yura better luck in the Paganini, IMO you deserve win here, now i wiil see who are in Paganini´s field.

September 17, 2006 at 01:35 AM · Congratulations to all winners! Augustin really deserved the best prize.

And, Yura, you were on top anyway! You are just GREAT!!!

September 17, 2006 at 01:44 AM · Rita! It's nice to hear from you... haven't seen you around this site in a really long time!

September 17, 2006 at 01:50 AM · Congratulations to everyone!! In special to Celeste!!!!

September 17, 2006 at 01:47 AM · coucheron's paganini 1 was outstanding here in the prelims. i hope he does well in Moscow.

i noticed pierre amoyal will be a judge at the Paganini also - just an observation.

i hope everyone here at some point gets to see hadelich perform in concert - its a special experience.

September 17, 2006 at 01:54 AM · Could it be that Yura didn't sound as good in the hall as through the mic?

September 17, 2006 at 02:28 AM · thanks everyone for such kind comments! in competitions you take what you get. i tried my best, and i'm happy that i did. kevin, it sounds the same... but that's besides the point, i'm 21 years old and life doesn't end here! yes i am disappointed, i was hoping for a little more, but the juries are individuals, and if they aren't convinced of my musical ideas, at least i am... so i'm happy!

-Yura

September 17, 2006 at 02:26 AM · yura thanks for all the great music over past couple weeks. did you play your own cadenza in the Mozart?

what are you playing tomorrow night? hope we don't get 5 people playing beau soir : )

September 17, 2006 at 02:38 AM · i'm playing beau soir tomorrow... augustin is playing wieniawski and chopin nocturn, simone is playing ysaye 6, and i can't remember what the others are playing. it was all assigned to us by the competition.

and the cadenza for 1/2 mov. in mozart is by robert levin.

September 17, 2006 at 02:46 AM · Yura played magnificently, but Augustin is deserving of the gold medal. When you play at that level, it's really a matter of preference.

September 17, 2006 at 06:26 AM · deleted

September 17, 2006 at 04:12 AM · I also think Yura deserved better than fourth place. We were at Marlboro together this summer, and she played fantastically there and in this competition.

She's incredible at playing the viola as well, we stayed up until 2 am one night at Marlboro reading chamber music. I totally expected her to get one of the medals.

but of course I am absolutely ecstatic that I won. it's been a tough two weeks.

Thanks to everyone who was rooting for me.

I think I'll have to take a few days off next week I think.

I need to sleep now so I'll be able to play my Wieniawski tomorrow. Thank god it's not streamed for a change.

September 17, 2006 at 03:37 AM · congrats augustin!

i'm so glad everyone gets another chance to hear your polonaise. it's the best D major polonnaise i've ever heard.

September 17, 2006 at 04:10 AM · Congratulations to both of you, Augustin and Yura. It's been great listening to your playing, and just as enjoyable writing about it, even if I am an amateur musician who knows next to nothing about your discipline.

Thanks for providing this pair of ears with such great music over the last two weeks.

September 17, 2006 at 04:53 AM · Congrats to both Augustin and Yura!!!Both of you were fantastic!!Keep going.

Anisha

September 17, 2006 at 05:06 AM · I hate to be "that guy," but could we get a hand for Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Bartok, Paganini, Shostakovich, Dvorak, and all the others who provided us with beautiful music?

Anyway, touche, Amy, congrats to all. Yura and Augustin were both outstanding, as was Celeste. Placing is always a funny thing, but the playing was seldomly short of stellar.

Best to all.

September 17, 2006 at 05:16 AM · yura,

you convinced me.

Congrats Mr. Hadelich.

September 17, 2006 at 06:24 AM · Yeah, congrats Augustin... Your Bartok was obviously incomparable -- thanks for being such a sport -- wish it was 1-2 for violinists who blog on here.

Vince

September 17, 2006 at 06:44 AM · Yura!!!!Congrads to you! I didnt hear anything (internet not fast enough) but competitions are gambles and as you rightly said the important thing is to know what YOU want. Stay true to yourself and everything will happen. My darling fiance Sonja Park was also rooting for you. She sends congrads and hugs! See you soon somewhere i hope! Take care! D

September 17, 2006 at 12:53 PM · I have to agree with everyone else. I thought Yura would get gold or silver, and she was my personal choice for gold. And artistically, it really drew me in, which is rare, and in a concerto that seems to me to be a cut above the other two that were played. Since Indy advertises fairness, the completion of the circle would be to see how individual judges voted. Also as an engineer it would be interesting to have a look at the algorithm and programming used to modify the vote. If such a thing was used in an election it would get intense scrutiny! It's pretty accepted that any program complicated enough to be useful has a bug somewhere. Usually bugs are sufficiently beaten down for the conditions that were tested. But the kind of thing that's eventually discovered is that on alternate tuesdays between the hours of such under some set of conditions it does something unexpected. Not saying anything happened here, just saying in general that testing needs to be sophisticated. Also not saying I know anything at all about judging a violin competition! Anyway, Yura you were great. Somebody here said in the professional world this gets sorted out. From what I see that's true. What you end up doing with violin depends on a lot more than how you placed somewhere! That's got to be the least of it. Good luck.

September 17, 2006 at 12:49 PM · Wow, Augustin posts here too?! CONGRATULATIONS AUGUSTIN!!! That was some sweet Bartok....now I have to go listen to all the performances I missed. Yura, you were absolutely stunning too, I LOVED your Bartok. Absolutely captivating.

September 17, 2006 at 02:20 PM · Crazy about Yura not placing in top three--that was a shock for all of my friends attending as well! But when all is said and done: I would pay money to listen to both Augustin's and Yura's recordings and concerts any day. Congrats to you both!

September 17, 2006 at 03:05 PM · finals are now available for viewing.

Yura should get the prize for best romantic concerto for her Bartok. but who knows with this jury.

September 17, 2006 at 03:19 PM · It is so funny to see all these comments. What is the funniest thing is that amateurs have the courage to speak about things they haven't the foggiest idea!

I am actually looking now for a cuantic physics competition or trigonometry and I will announce who should have been the winner and how bad the jury is and I will even come with my own system of calculating the points...

As one of the past competitors of this competition, please let me tell few things:

-you are all missing the point of this competition which is, a festival of music, a place where young people get to know each other and more than that, they get inspired from one another!

-it is multitude of wiews, it is a rich experience to hear the same thing being played by people coming from such different culture and education

-this is not an american competition so please stop criticizing the foreigners and idolising the americans. They are all wonderful musicians and only they know how many hundreds and hundreds of hours are behind the preparation for such competition!

-from a more personal point of wiew, I think that this year the level has been higher than any of the past years (this is for some nutty comment earlier in the post!!!)

-do not forget that the final result is given after evaluating all three stages TOGETHER, the result is not only given for the final performance

-there was no doubt for me about the result already after the first round for the first two prizes

-a special BRAVO for the one NOBODY really cares to write about: SIMONE LAMSMA (when one of you here will get to a 10th of her technique and control, please start talking or better... go compete to the Indianapolis or Queen Elisabeth competition). In case you don't remember please rewind your tapes and listen again to her Ysaye 6th sonata! I've never heared anything like that yet... live!

-just a reminder: it is so easy to speak quickly and through away criticism and bad appreciation. Do you have any idea how hard is to prepare and present such a long program, to resist physically and mentally such a pression and even to get to do something beautifully on stage? For all these a really big BRAVO to all participants, have you already forgotten that this people were selected from more 200 recordings sent to the competition?

-about the jury: they are all humans, like you and me, they have preferences, they have good and bad days, they eventually get tired... in some cases, fall asleep... I don't think it was the case here but just to say that that was the result for that day or for that short period of time! Restart the competition and you'll have a completely different set of winners!

-competitions are sometimes a lottery, no matter how much or how well you prepared... it still fails, or you win! Is that so important? Important is the step all these players have done, they path they have walked, the risks they have taken!

I could go on and on and on but I have a plane to catch! I might write some more later!

Again, bravo to all participants, bravo to all the prize-winners and thank you for all you have shown and given to the world during these two weeks!

PS. About that Dvorak, someone mentioned having almost all the recordings... I am sure there are some you haven't heared and they might surprise you. Send me your addresse and I might try to send them to you somehow.

Bye all,

Liviu

September 17, 2006 at 04:13 PM · Agreed, bravo to all participants! From watching the performances I pretty much agree with the final outcome. All will have fine careers (most already do!), one will be performing on the Gingold Strad is all ;-)

September 17, 2006 at 05:08 PM · Liviu they mentioned you as being the new concertmaster of the Concerbouw orchestra I think. Shipp talked about it. It was interesting. I don't think people here are as dismissive or ill-informed as you think they are. Sure, a few, naturally. I don't see any tearing down of non-Americans myself, either. Fortunately, talking about violin playing isn't reserved for brilliant soloists. The brilliant soloists should basically be glad people are talking about it and hope they don't stop. It isn't a given. I don't see anybody really talking above what I perceive as their ability to understand even really. The people here aren't as removed from violin playing as the example you give of commenting on physics. If they are, well, since they're the cream of the crop of your audience, everyone should just go home and forget about competitions and concerts and CDs because they're just too good for the audience.

September 17, 2006 at 05:12 PM · Liviu, we have repeatedly stated our respect for all the performers in this competition. I'm sorry if we offended you by not being awestruck enough for your taste.

--You accused us of being "amateurs who haven't the foggiest idea what we're talking about". That is simply untrue. There are a lot of amateurs on this board for sure, but also a LOT of professionals, conservatory students, etc. I myself am a very serious student who hopes to go to a conservatory next year and already plays in a part-time professional orchestra. And even though I haven't been to any big competitions like the Indy yet, I know a lot about violin playing and about music in general. (I don't mean to brag, I freely admit that I have tons more to learn, but I'm hardly a musical illiterate.)

--You claimed that we were criticizing the foreigners and idolizing the Americans. Go look at your list of competitors again. Everyone's favorite, Yura Lee, is Korean. Another big favorite, Augustin Hadelich, is German. I and many others liked Ye-Eun Choi a lot, and she's Korean. I was pulling for Katalin Kokas early on, and she's Hungarian. Yes, we also like Celeste Golden the American, but she's a good player, are we supposed to hate her BECAUSE she's American?

--After your completely appropriate Bravo to Simone Lamsma, you made a snide and completely INappropriate remark, challenging us to "as soon as any of you get even a 10th of her technique, speak up." Again I state that there are a lot of very fine professional violinists posting on these forums, including well-known soloists, and players in major orchestras. I'm sure that there are plenty of people here who have at least "a 10th" of Simone's technique. Have you heard all of us play? Do you know what we all sound like? Do you know all our strengths and weaknesses? No, most likely you do not. Please don't assume that we're little more than a bunch of uneducated hicks and yobs yelling about things we don't understand before going into the practice room to scratch on an out-of-tune rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Again, congratulations to all the performers in the Indy.

Cheers,

MG

September 17, 2006 at 05:06 PM · Yura :(, I really liked your performances, hey when are u coming here so we can see you live?? :))?

Agustin was really fantastic too, I watched all his previous rounds after the Mozart, and it would have been hard for me to choose between the two.

I agree with Jim herere Livius post. Liviu, basically we might be more or less removed from the "world" you mention, (in my case very far removed personally), but

-there are people here who are very close and have a great understanding about the violin.

- even great players might find it hard to earn a living if there were not people like ME paying to go to concerts and buying recordings, based on my limited knowledege of "what I like to hear"

- it is based on that that I would have given Yura the Gold and Agustin the Silver (I don't know who is american and who is not), and I would not choose Simome (I don't know if she is from the US) as her playing didn't move me as much as lets say Yura's. I can see of course that she is a top notch violinist (would have to be to be there) but competitions are about ranking people, and its a personal preference.

-as about the stress involved in being in a competiton, I have a 13 year old who spent a year preparing for a prize scholarship in music, and worked hard at it weekdays and weekends, not only that but at all the other subjexts like piano and theory, and also went to school and worked hard at getting good grades at normal school. Its not Indianapolis, but there are plenty of music students around the world who may go through the stress at their level, put in hours of practise, pass difficult exams and recitals, and its not for us to say one thing is going to be harder than the other. Also to say that since we are not in a major competition, we are not allowed to give opinions.

A Big Thank You to the competition organisers for giving us an opportunity to follow the competition in such detail around the world. Would you agree its been the best Internet coverage so far of a major competition?

September 17, 2006 at 05:39 PM · Another note for Yura, your instrument is absolutely stunning, you two are great partners!

September 17, 2006 at 06:11 PM · I agree- Yura, what do you play on?

September 17, 2006 at 06:15 PM · Whoa, I got this from the IVCI website...

"he 22 year-old Hadelich will receive $30,000, a 24-carat Gold Medal, the four-year loan of the 1683 ex-Gingold Stradivari violin and Tourte bow, a Naxos label compact disc recording contract, a gold Fleur-de-Lys bow made by Berg Bows, and more than 40 concert engagements including a domestic and international tour entitled "Pure Gold" with Chinese pianist Yingdi Sun, winner of the 2005 International Franz Liszt Piano Competition of Holland.

Additional special prizes awarded to Mr. Hadelich include Best Performances of a Romantic concerto, Classical concerto, Beethoven sonata, violin sonata other than Beethoven, the commissioned work (Bright Sheng's A Night at the Chinese Opera), a Bach work, an Encore Piece, and a Paganini caprice.

Second and third place medals were also awarded at the 2006 International Violin Competition of Indianapolis. The Silver Medal went to the 20 year-old Dutch violinist Hilde Simone Lamsma, and the Bronze Medal was presented to the 22 year-old American Celeste Golden. Ms. Lamsma also won the award for Best Performance of an Ysaÿe Sonata and a Paganini Caprice. Semi-Finalist and 22 year-old American violinist Eunice Keem won a special prize for Best Performance of a Paganini Caprice. The second place title carries $15,000 in prize money and the third place is awarded $10,000."

WHOA, jeez, I thought they weren't gonna announce the special prizes until tonight.

September 17, 2006 at 05:55 PM · Bravo to all of the performers.

Liviu Prunaru,

People had their favorites based on how they played, not what country they're from. DON'T TURN THIS INTO SOME KIND OF NATIONALISTIC POLITICS. I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

Music, unlike quantum physics or trigonometry, is a discipline where the goal is to move and touch audiences, and whether you like it or not, the audience is allowed to decide whether they feel moved or not.

As Emil Chudnovsky eloquently said on another thread, if you weren't allowed to have an opinion unless you could do it better yourself, then "all criticism would have to be reserved for ghosts (Jascha Heifetz) and/or superstars (Itzhak Perlman)."

September 17, 2006 at 06:24 PM · Holy crap, Augustin's got it made!

September 17, 2006 at 06:30 PM · Congratulations to all six finalists - you've all blown me away. As a HUGE Dvorak fan, I must extend a special thanks for Celeste Golden for playing it sooooooo beautifully. But again - all six finalists were just brilliant - what a tough competition to judge.

Yura, you are a shining star, no matter how a score places you. Looking forward to watching your continued rise.

September 17, 2006 at 06:55 PM · Just wanted to respond to one point Liviu made: considering Yura and Augustin have been more or less the favourites here, and neither is American, I don't see how one can say everybody is idolizing American competitors.

September 17, 2006 at 07:04 PM · There are people who are paid to give an opinion even though they know nothing about the trade; they are called critics.

There is an old saying that goes as follows:

Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't teach, criticize.

LOL.

September 17, 2006 at 07:14 PM · wait, how can 3 different people get awards for best Caprice??

September 17, 2006 at 07:15 PM · People who love doing something also love talking about it.

My one comment about competitions is that they routinely produce more losers than winners.

September 17, 2006 at 07:16 PM · Maybe they got the same score.

September 17, 2006 at 08:03 PM · Pieter, there were three placings for best Caprice pair. Eunice Keem was third, Simone Lamsma was second, and the first Paganini prize went to Augustin Hadelich. Speaking of Hadelich:

Best performance of Bach -- Augustin Hadelich

Best performance of Paganini caprices -- 3rd: Eunice Keem -- 2nd: Simone Lamsma -- 1st: Augustin Hadelich

Best performance of an encore piece -- Augustin Hadelich

Best performance of a Beethoven Sonata -- Augustin Hadelich and Rohan de Silva

Best performance of the imposed work by Bright Sheng -- Augustin Hadelich

Best performance of a Ysaÿe Sonata -- Simone Lamsma

Best performance of a Sonata not by Beethoven -- Augustin Hadelich

By the time they got to the special prizes for the finals:

Best performance in the Classical finals -- "I should get a tape recorder... Augustin Hadelich. Augustin, don't sit down."

Best performance in the Romantic finals -- guess

September 17, 2006 at 08:01 PM · Michael, spot-on comments! :)

Kevin, you reminded me of a brilliant piece of insight I heard from someone (I can't for the life of me remember who) regarding those inescapable scourges of all musicians: "A critic is like a eunuch in a harem. He's there every night, he sees it done all the time, he knows how it should be done, but he can't do it himself."

September 17, 2006 at 08:26 PM · crap i didnt know the gala was happening early. switch to the website to catch Hadelich's Wieniawski!!

September 17, 2006 at 08:27 PM · Having grown up in Indy, I've practically grown up with the Indianapolis International Competition in my backyard, and have watched Juliette Kang, Stevan Milenkovich, Judith Ingolfsson, Mr. Prunaru, Barnabas Kelemen, and Augustin Hadelich play in this amazing competition. I am just as astounded and moved every four years. The love and dedication these violinists have are just incredible.

You would think that this competition is a huge deal in the city, actually, if you even pull someone from the Circle Centre Mall (which is next door to the Hilbert Circle Theatre), and ask them about this competition, they would probably still respond w/ a "what is that"?...how unfortunate they are...(sigh)

congratulations Mr. Hadelich!

PS: Mr. Hadelich, nice website! Do you use an editor to design and maintain it yourself?

September 17, 2006 at 08:59 PM · deleted

September 17, 2006 at 08:58 PM · "Jaime Laredo is an idiot....[etc.]"

Vincent, Jaime Laredo is an extremely fine violinist, a really sweet guy, a good teacher and an intelligent human being. For you to say those completely false and mean-spirited things about him is completely absurd.

September 17, 2006 at 09:01 PM · Maura, it's not a personal thing -- it's a professional thing. It happens, but it shouldn't happen here... Chill.

Vince

September 17, 2006 at 09:22 PM · nice to see this board deteriorate into namecalling...

Even if what you say about jaime laredo and the whole evil empire called Curtis were true, you think his lone vote biases the entire jury?

let's try to maintain some level of intelligence on this discussion board.

September 17, 2006 at 09:36 PM · well it's not just him -- Ida K. was a former adjudicator, and Pamela Frank is from Curtis.

I don't know... it's suspicious -- Celeste and Bella both being students of a former adjudicator and all the judges knowing this -- and I'm sure Laredo and Frank have heard the girls play before.

And Celeste's memory slip, and slips in her Mozart -- that's a big portion of the competition right there. Politics --

Vince

September 17, 2006 at 09:43 PM · Hmmm... Who else do we know that speaks such poison against the integrity of Jaime Laredo? Even in the recent, recent past. Hmmm...

I think it was a person named....what was it....Hernandez or something??? Could it be....???? An evil TWIN! ;-)

September 17, 2006 at 11:22 PM · I suppose I could point out that Jaime Laredo is no longer teaching at Curtis, but is, in fact, currently a member of the faculty at Indiana University... but since this thread has deteriorated into the surreal, I doubt it's worth it.

September 17, 2006 at 09:55 PM · Guys, let's just ignore this pompous windbag before this thread disintegrates into yet ANOTHER flamewar.

Also, I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but we haven't heard much from Mr. Hernandez lately have we? And his quiet disappearence coincides fairly well with the appearance of Mr. Vuong? Strange coincidence, that.

P.S. Vince, you're telling ME to chill?

September 17, 2006 at 09:30 PM · From Liviu Prunaru:

"It is so funny to see all these comments. What is the funniest thing is that amateurs have the courage to speak about things they haven't the foggiest idea!"

Though I rarely appear here... can't keep silent reading this. It tells me a lot about writer...

Dear Liviu, with all my respect to your reputation (you deserved it, indeed), there are people on this board with the same accomplishments as yours, as well as amateurs also who have rights to state their opinions. There is nothing funny in any comment on this board. I'd appreciate if you were more respectful to all the members of this board.

Sincerely.

September 17, 2006 at 10:01 PM · Ok, for the record, here's my input. Politics are present in EVERYTHING. You go to a competition, to an audition to whatever and you know that no matter the situation there's going to be some level of politics. You still perform and do the best you can do. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. It's not always clear why and sometimes it is clear why but that doesn't minimize the work that went into the preperation and the accomplishment of the performance. If you focus on the politics and the "planned" aspects of things all the time, you'll never get anything done because you'll never try because obviously you'll never win. You have to take a chill pill and say, well I did my best and I won/lost I'm not entirely sure why the outcome was the way it is but this is what I've learned about myself in the process.

September 17, 2006 at 10:18 PM · Hi,

Congratulations to all the finalists and prize winners on such a great accomplishment!

I find the berating of teachers and professionals a little depressing... And, just out of curiosity, why is Mr. Prunaru not entitled to his opinion?

Someone asked above which violin Ms. Lee plays - according to her bio on the ICM Artists website: Yura Lee plays the "Mary Portman" Guarneri del Gesu, Cremona, 1735, on extended loan from Clement Arrison through The Stradivary Society of Chicago.

Cheers to all and congratulations to all the finalists in the Indianapolis competition once again!

Cheers!

September 17, 2006 at 10:16 PM · I hope we didn't alienate Liviu, and I hope he didn't alienate too many of us either....

September 17, 2006 at 10:20 PM · Hi,

Maura, my original choice of words was not good, and you make a good point. However, if everyone else here is apparently entitled to an opinion or comment, why wouldn't he be allowed as well?

September 17, 2006 at 10:30 PM · I would hope the standard would be that everybody is allowed to comment, but not allowed to belittle others in doing so. (Mind you, critiques of playing should be permissible, but not ad hominem attacks.)

September 17, 2006 at 10:33 PM · Hi,

Eugene - I agree.

Cheers!

September 17, 2006 at 10:57 PM · Christian,

Of course he's entitled to his opinion. I just disagreed with him. :)

September 17, 2006 at 11:14 PM · Laredo was recently appointed -- he taught at Curtis since the 70s... Erika.

No, it's not that, I'm just a little pissed off - I'm big on sports and competition (LOVE SPORTS). I get fired up...

I'm not Hernandez and this is not high school so don't belittle me with "evil twin" "coincidence" BS. And yes Maura, chill. Stop taunting me, unless you're really a bully in real life... David and Maura.

Not personal, just professional -- I did not like how the competition was carried out and as el presidente, he gets the finger. And "idiot" is just a word of color/art -- doesn't mean he has an incredibly low IQ. Don't take it literally.

But again, congrats to all the competitors -- you guys deserve better.

Vince

P.S. Yura's Guarneri was given back and she plays on a Joseph Curtin or something. Accordingly, that violin she plays does not look like a Guarneri. The Strad Society of Chicago has assigned the Mary Portman to Adele Anthony, wife of Gil Shaham.

September 17, 2006 at 11:13 PM · Ah, I didn't recognize the instrument, Yura pulls great sound from it...whatever it is.

September 17, 2006 at 11:11 PM · This is ridiculous. Celeste is one of the best musicians I know. If other things are present, a couple of slips should not eliminate one from the running. Obviously they saw past the fact that she had a slightly worse day than normal on her Mozart (though she still played magnificently) and judged her on what still shone through - her musical voice and integrity. This competition is not a sports event. It's about helping musicians form careers. Obviously they believe Celeste has the potential to have a major one. I believe the same. I'm no stranger to politics but in this case, I regard the decision regarding Celeste to be fair.

September 17, 2006 at 11:19 PM · deleted

September 17, 2006 at 11:34 PM · Celeste certainly picked the most appropriate concerto for the Romantic Concerto Category, unfotunetely (unlike the other concertos) this concerto is not forgiving...a choice after my own heart!

September 18, 2006 at 12:10 AM · Vince,

OK, OK, sorry! Geez, it was just a theory, you sounded a bit like Hernandez for a moment there and I know there HAVE been instances of people here with multiple internet identities. And actually I have never before been described as a "bully". Kind of an interesting new experience.

September 18, 2006 at 12:23 AM · All six finalists are heroes!

Mr. Vuong, your comments are full of keen insight! Are you a violinist yourself? Can I hear you perform somewhere? I would love to be able to meet you.

September 18, 2006 at 12:44 AM · Yura mentioned giving that del Gesu back a while back...

Soovin, don't bother... I offered to meet Keith in LA and he declined.

Keith/Vincent: I'm a bully, and I'll bully you as much as I want.

Maura: you are a bully... just ask your little friend Benoit Rolland.

September 18, 2006 at 01:09 AM · It is unfair that adjudicators are asked to judge their own students among other contestants, especially in a competition that is in large part based on subjective opinion. Even if judges are well intentioned there could be a bias because the judges sensibilities and musical preferences could have been taught to their students. There is also a temptation to promote one's own students to promote oneself. Contests should eliminate the potential for conflicts of interest. Perhaps it would be better if they picked judges that were not teachers or had direct association with the contestants.

September 18, 2006 at 01:10 AM · Well, it doesn't really matter seeing as jury members aren't allowed to vote for their students. And like someone said before in the Montreal thread, it's kind of hard to pick a jury where absolutely no one has taught a participant...

Everyone played fantastically! They are all amazing players and like many people have said, they will undoubtedly go on to have very successful careers.

September 18, 2006 at 01:33 AM · Didn't know that judges couldn't vote for their own students. That doesn't seem fair either since those students would be denied potential deserving votes. Judges could be picked from among the violinists that don't teach, and from all the great teachers who are at schools that don't produce students of the caliber that compete internationally.

September 18, 2006 at 01:34 AM · The way they have it worked out, if a juror abstains it shouldn't matter.

September 18, 2006 at 01:29 AM · Pieter, knock it OFF about the Rolland already! How was I supposed to know you were after the same one?! I sincerely apologize for unwittingly snatching it away from you, but what was I supposed to DO?

September 18, 2006 at 01:38 AM · The only thing that will satisfy us is seeing you break it over your knee on Youtube.

September 18, 2006 at 01:40 AM · Gaaahhh....I'm going to pretend I didn't read that!!!!! :(

September 18, 2006 at 01:44 AM · You could break a cheap bow over your knee and say it was the Rolland. That would be just as good.

September 18, 2006 at 01:51 AM · I strongly agree with Soovin. This whole thing is getting ridiculous. Have a little respect, please.

September 18, 2006 at 01:55 AM · Actually, just to clear things up -- Montréal used a voting system, Indianapolis used a scoring system. Jurors with association with some competitor abstained from scoring that particular competitor. The scoring system averaged every juror to the same average, so tendencies to mark high or low (and the absense thereof) would not have affected the final results.

It's hard to imagine a juror abstaining at the Indianapolis would have had any effect on the final results.

September 18, 2006 at 02:01 AM · By the way, I wanted to mention that I finally got the time to listen to more of Augustin's performances. Congratulations, Augustin, listening to you was inspiring! I especially enjoyed the Wieniawski Polonaise, Bach A minor, and Bartok concerto. I enjoyed watching you play, it seemed like you were having fun with the music, which is always something great to see.

Congratulations to everyone! And despite the fact that this discussion has gotten ugly, I'm glad that people are able to watch these performances online. It's nice for those of us who don't have the time to get to Indianapolis ourselves.

September 18, 2006 at 02:05 AM · >OK, OK, sorry! Geez, it was just a theory, you sounded a bit like Hernandez for a moment there and I know there HAVE been instances of people here with multiple internet identities. And actually I have never before been described as a "bully". Kind of an interesting new experience.

Maura, don't you dare apologize. The toddler from hell (see bio/pic if you don't get this) is a troll in the making if I've ever seen one, and I admire every comment you, Maura, have made here. You've earned my respect. Chill? Oh, please. And comments of the like to David Russel. Oh, please. What a Keith-esque comment. I'll say no more.

September 18, 2006 at 02:05 AM · >I'm glad that people are able to watch these performances online.

Boy, you said it, Amy. I've so enjoyed the experience of watching them. I'm just agog, frankly. What an education. Again, I have to say that they are all so brilliant, it's hard to use the ranking system as a judge of their talents. I'm just enjoying the hell out of 'em all.

September 18, 2006 at 02:22 AM · Well, I might as well take myself away from all future competitions, concerts, and the like, since I haven't played the Bartok or Shosti. Or Sibelius yet, for that matter!

Maybe I'll go join a board called "things Erin can do". I heard there's a great thread on the topic of tying cherry stems with ones tongue.

September 18, 2006 at 02:28 AM · Aw man, now see that's the problem with this stuff. Anyway...I'd buy the DVD of that.

September 18, 2006 at 03:35 AM · you know, its really irritating to hear comments like "oh there must have been a glitch in the system because yura didnt win". she didnt win because her phrasing and musicality was limited to 1. playing loud 2. speeding up randomly augustin, on the other hand, is a fantastic musician and has interesting and absolutly solid technique. he had that competition from the start. lamsma was also on her way, but i thought her ysaye made no sense, and that would be the only reason why i wouldnt place her 1st. ironically she won the ysaye prize...but anyway...its irritating to see that kind of crap

September 18, 2006 at 03:51 AM · Yes, politics play a part in every thing in life. However, I would like to point out that the judges' students and their associations do not always win or get through. Liana Gourdjia, a fantastic violinist, is currently a student of Jaime Laredo (this will be her first year with him) and she didn't make it past the first round. If some people had an unfair advantage because of their teachers, wouldn't you think that she would've made semis? I'm not saying I'm thinking she should have or shouldn't have, I'm just pointing out a flaw in the theory. Competitions are subjective, there's no doubt about it, and each juror is going to have their own beliefs on violin playing and who should win. This is why we have more than one judge. I certainly don't think we have another France/Russia issue like in the pairs skating in the Olympics 4 years back. Or at least, I certainly hope not!

Perhaps it's time this thread should be archived- we've been throwing around names and insults for far too long. Congratulations again to the finalists and to all people who entered this competition. Yura and Augustin- it's a blessing and an inspiration to listen to both of your playing.

September 18, 2006 at 04:06 AM · I think it's time that this Keith/Vincent cretin's actual offline identity, complete with phone numbers and mailing address, be revealed. How about it, Laurie? Here's someone who casually tosses around obscenities, libelous accusations, and generic insults at professionals with nothing to lose or even risk. I think it'd be eminently fair for Mr. Russel, or Maestro Laredo for that matter, to have the option of calling Keith/Vincent's mother and insisting that she restrain her foulmouthed, mentally impaired and socially challenged spawn.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe