How would you describe an

August 31, 2006 at 05:41 AM · I'd be interested in discussing what is an "Intermediate Student"?

I would be that everyone has a slightly different opinion. However, I often see books and pieces labeled as Beginner or Intermeidate.

What are the qualities of an Intermediate Student?

Is it a student who:

Know the 1st position perfectly?

Ready to start vibrato?

Completed the Suzuki X book?

Knows X number of scales?

What are your thoughts?

Replies (14)

August 31, 2006 at 02:09 PM · Everybody's going to have a different opinion on this, but here's mine:

An intermediate student is somebody who can play in more than one position, do a rudimentary vibrato, and get through a piece from beginning to end without stopping.

I wanted to mention the ability to read sheet music, but I stopped because there are so many great sounding nonclassical violinists that can't read music.

August 31, 2006 at 04:56 PM · Well an intermediate student, in my opinion is one that can:

1. do at least 2 (prob. even 3) octave scales.

2. Knows beyond 1st position.

3. I believe that they have to know how to read music.

4. I would say that they would need to be able to play every piece in Suzuki book 5.

5. And had already started to learn vibrato.

August 31, 2006 at 05:04 PM · Whoa, really? I consider myself an intermediate student (advanced intermediate, perhaps) because I'm not yet playing the Romantic concerti, but I can do all the techniques, just not well. I guess I define myself that way by looking at the spectrum of all violin repertoire and seeing how much I've played (or could play) and how much I haven't.

August 31, 2006 at 05:25 PM · love the cliffhanger title.

August 31, 2006 at 05:26 PM · I would say that an "intermediate" student is a beginner in all the important concepts...shifting, vibrato, bow control (and a bit of spiccato)....I think what makes someone advanced is when they learn to control all of this to make music communicate.

August 31, 2006 at 05:31 PM · I'm not a beginner, but I can't really do anything.

August 31, 2006 at 10:39 PM · RCM grades 5 - 8 is intermediate.

August 31, 2006 at 11:57 PM · Forgive my ignorance, but what are RCM Grades?

September 1, 2006 at 06:31 AM · Hi Jason,

RCM stands for Royal Conservatory of Music.

September 1, 2006 at 07:00 AM · Hmm, my message was supposed to be a bit longer, but I think I messed up the link and can't seem to edit the message now. I'll try again. RCM exams are popular in Canada. They don't publish the syllabus online, but if you search the Violinist.com archives, you'll see examples of pieces for different grade levels. There are 10 grades plus ARCT (either performer or teacher certification). Besides pieces, there are studies, scales and other technical requirements, aural tests and theory requirements for each grade. It's mostly kids who take the exams, but they are also a good way for adult learners to prove that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

September 4, 2006 at 06:51 AM · Intermediate is a big sea and really needs to be split into a lower and upper level.The beginning phase of the violin would culminate in comlete knowledge of first,second and third positions ,in all major and minor keys, shifting and beginnings of vibrato.Thus repetoire at the lower intermediate level would incude baroque concerti ie Vivaldi , Bach, studies would include Wohlfart and Kayser.The upper intermediate would be playing Mozart,Haydn and Mendelsson concerti and studies would incude Kreuzer and some Rode.

I prefer to divde the beginning phase into preparetary and beginners.Thus the preparetary phase finishes when a student can play the first and second finger patterns well in first position and has been introduced to the concept of the other finger patterns.

September 4, 2006 at 02:39 PM · I don't know, but I know it when I hear it!

September 6, 2006 at 04:12 AM · Greetings,

an intermediate student is fluent in excuses,

Cheers,

Buri

September 6, 2006 at 05:54 AM · really buri? My teacher must consider me advanced then ;)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe