Houston and St. Louis Music Performance Schools

August 30, 2006 at 05:11 AM · Hi,

I was wondering if any of you new which universities were the best for a music performance degree in St. Louis, MO, and Houston, Texas. I'm a senior right now, and as always the undergraduate education deliberations have begun, and I just don't know where to go.

Thanks,

Leslie

Replies (8)

August 30, 2006 at 01:14 PM · Rice in Houston is a first rate music program.

Not on the same level but still respectable is the University of Houston.

St Louis currently has no strong music performance programs.

August 30, 2006 at 01:31 PM · I heard the University of Northern Texas has a pretty strong music program.

August 30, 2006 at 05:23 PM · It's not one of the top programs in the country, but the University of Missouri-St. Louis is becomming a strong program. Up until about 4-5 years ago (or somthing like that) the school did not have a strong string faculty. However, with the hiring of the Arianna String Quartet as Quartet in residence the program gained their greatest resource. The Quartet teaches privatly, coaches chamber ensembles and is always working to improve their program and bring it up to a conservatory level. However, because it is a new program (and because their education program is even stronger than the performance program)there is not a large body of good players and since it is new no outstanding grads., but it is worth considering if you can be self-motivated enough to practice a lot and work hard even when not everyone is doing so, as I believe the level of education you can recieve could serve you well. Anyway that's my plug for the school, obviously I go there so I have a less than objective view, but I believe the school is worth looking into if you want to be in St. Louis. As always decide for yourself.

August 31, 2006 at 01:21 AM · Excuuuuse me. St Louis has one heck of a college music program. Little Webster University has some extremely superior string teachers lurking about. One of the tops being Manuel Ramos. Many of the STL Symphony people studied at Webster. Check it out.

August 31, 2006 at 03:19 AM · not to diss Webster (at least not too much) but how come their orchestra has about 3 webster U students and the rest is faculty/professional musicians? It is true that they have some outstanding faculty from the St. Louis Symphony but as far as their program goes I would say that a string player could get pretty lonely in the halls of the school with the handful string players they have there. Also be prepared to put out some serious cash or get some heafty loans because their scholarship money isn't exactly generous (they only consider scholarships after you fill out the FAFSA paper work, and then basically offer to pay for the difference between what you qualify for and the cost of tuition) and one of my friends had his music scholarhip mysteriously dissapear after his first year there. Webster hypes itself as a music school, but I didn't see enough to back it up (except maybe their theory/piano instruction) to justify going there (yes, I did apply and was accepted) however the milage may vary for everyone. However, I would add that UMSL seems to be bringing in a number of would-be Webster students. No disrespect for the poster here, this is just my impression/experience with Webster and could be totally different from what you might find. Good luck with your search.

August 31, 2006 at 03:44 AM · Not to get off subject, but Ingrid, I used to play with you in Mr. Williams orchestras! : )

August 31, 2006 at 04:07 AM ·

August 31, 2006 at 12:13 PM · Leslie, I thought I recognized your name, that's really neat, I was just thinking about Mr. William's the other day and I have good memories of playing in his Orchestras. Anyway good luck with your college search/auditions. Maybe I'll see you again if you end up in St. Louis for College.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe