Milstein - Paganiniana

August 25, 2006 at 05:04 PM · Do you know of any other edition of the Paganiniana, besides Schirmer's one?

I heard on youtube, Milstein performing a great one, and also, the one Alena Baeva played at Q.E., it's close to this one..

So, do you know where I can find it on the internet? As everywhere I look, it's only Schirmer's edition.

Thanks.

Replies (14)

August 25, 2006 at 05:39 PM · I thought Schirmer was the authentic "urtext" edition for the Paganiniana, didn't Milstein after all edit it?

August 25, 2006 at 06:34 PM · I think Keith is right.

I have one of the first editions.

Mind you, many bowings that Milstein did in the piece, is not written the same in the published edition.

Great piece and fun to play.

August 25, 2006 at 06:40 PM · Schirmer is the only edition, but if you would like more info on the piece, just listen to the many Milstein recording so of it. In every recording he alters something, so there is actually a great variety violinist material available in that piece.

August 25, 2006 at 07:53 PM · It's common knowledge that Milstein constantly changed his bowings and fingerings.

In fact, he doesn't even have bowings and fingerings written in his parts. So there's no such thing as an "absolute" Milstein edition.

August 25, 2006 at 10:15 PM · Each time Milstein performed this piece, he improvised different notes and everything, so I wouldn't get too hung up on finding the "correct" edition. I agree with the person who said to listen to recordings of Milstein playing this piece. I have two recordings of him playing it that are completely different. It's enlightening to realize that Milstein was wonderful at improvising.

August 25, 2006 at 11:06 PM · The DG Milstein CD is very different (as in notes) from Accardo's (Dynamic) and Gidon Kremer's (DG). For me, I love Kremer's version the best.

August 26, 2006 at 01:52 AM · I think it could perhaps be very helpful to compare Milstein's recordings made in his Library of Congress recital, with that of his video version. They are extremely different, and yet both musically make sense, and are very beautiful, in my opinion.

August 26, 2006 at 05:30 AM · The piece I will eventually take on is Milstein's version of Liszt's "Mephisto Waltz".

Milstein said that his transcription was the hardest thing he ever played. I want to see if I can get through it too.

August 26, 2006 at 07:23 AM · I have Schirmer's edition too, I dont know of any other.

August 26, 2006 at 07:24 AM · Yes, I heard once he wrote a very difficult piece, but didn't know it's name, still, I guess it's difficult to find the score, as someone told me it's not so played..

About Paganiniana, I'm not looking for the "right" edition of it, I know he used to change it every time he played it, just for another one, there must be, since so many violinists play different ones..

I changed it after the recordings where I wanted, but still,I must play one edition, not a little from everyone...

Thanks for all the answers,

Adela

August 26, 2006 at 06:17 PM · Milstein would be happiest if you made your OWN version, Adela.

August 26, 2006 at 06:30 PM · Kevin wrtote: "Milstein would be happiest if you made your OWN version, Adela."

I agree. He made changes to his cadenzas (and to Paganiniana) very often. When I studied Mozart D Major Concerto with him I asked him if he had published the cadenzas which he recorded. His reply: "You should write your own cadenzas!"

August 26, 2006 at 09:36 PM · As the piece is under copyright there is only the Schirmer edition. Your music dealer would buy this from the Schirmer agent Hal Leonard.

Composer: Nathan Milstein

PAGANINIANA VARIATIONS

Publisher: G. Schirmer, Inc.

For unaccompanied violin.

$4.95 (US)

Inventory # HL 50286570

ISBN: N/A

UPC: 73999865707

Edition Number: ED3511

Width: 9

Length: 12

8 pages

August 27, 2006 at 09:27 AM · Kevin Huang - I saw Milstein play in the mid-1980s that transcription of the Mephisto Waltz in recital. He must have been around 79 years old. Amazing!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe