KOGANS RECORDINGS.....

August 24, 2006 at 04:04 PM · i want to ask if anyone knows where i can buy the originals cds by - Leonid Kogan Legacy from Label - arlecchino ?????

or

where i can find the videorecordings from kogan????

Replies (26)

August 24, 2006 at 04:49 PM · http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=leonid+Kogan&search=Search

August 24, 2006 at 04:52 PM · i know this site.but i want to find them on tape:))

thanks a lot

August 24, 2006 at 06:55 PM · http://www.amazon.co.uk has some of the CDs. I don't know who has tapes. Good luck.

August 24, 2006 at 08:24 PM · There's always eBay...I got some great Szigeti records off there once.

August 25, 2006 at 01:14 AM · Kogan indeed is one of the greatest violinists.

I definitely consider him in the same class as a Kubelik or Heifetz, though he plays a different style.

Few people talk about Kogan's unique musical style. To me, he has an incredibly strong voice that I can pick out instantaneously. I am also impressed at how tastefully and soulfully he plays.

Kogan has something else that's rare: an ability to sing on the violin. Everything he plays is done in a way as if he had sung it with his voice. To me, nothing he plays sounds mechanical.

August 25, 2006 at 08:53 PM · Kogan was great. E-mail me if you want to discuss Kogan's recordings.

David Lillis

August 25, 2006 at 09:10 PM · Oh..I adore Kogan, I have many recordings by him, and I'm proud to have some of his rare recordings on old giant disks.

I have a DVD of EMI, it has wondrful works played by him.

It would be pleasure to share and discuss about my idol.

August 25, 2006 at 09:49 PM · There's an interesting picture in Szigeti's memoirs: Szigeti was invited to play at a reception of some sort in Moscow in honor of a bunch of young prize-winning Soviet violinists, and they took a picture of Szigeti with a bunch of the kids, and front and center is a thirteen-year-old Leonid Kogan! :)

August 25, 2006 at 11:12 PM · Kogan is amazing & will live forever in mind for some amazing recordings. They are: Tchaikovsky VC(with Silvestri on EMI)and Khachaturian VC (Boston SO on RCA).

If you want the very old technology (tape), it will not last forever. CD & DVDR is the way to go.

E-mail David Lillis - he is a great fan.

August 25, 2006 at 11:10 PM · Kogan is amazing & will live forever in mind for some amazing recordings. They are: Tchaikovsky VC(with Silvestri on EMI)and Khachaturian VC (Boston SO on RCA).

If you want the very old technology (tape), it will not last forever. CD & DVDR is the way to go.

E-mail David Lillis - he is a great fan.

August 27, 2006 at 10:19 PM · I have the Orfeo release w/ Beethoven, Brahms, and Franck performed live with pianist Nina Kogan. The recording is substandard and it's hard to even tell that the player is Leonid Kogan.

Are there any more of these I should avoid?

August 28, 2006 at 03:24 PM · I have heard that Kogan's playing fell apart in his final years.

Henry Roth wrote that Kogan was suffering from ulcers and heart trouble, which is why he died at the young age of 58. No doubt, his health affected him severely.

In his "Interpretations" video, I can see that Leonid Kogan's health had already begin to slide. Though his playing was still terrific on that video, he was not as energetic as he was when he was a youngster. That video was artificially sped up, thus revealing a Kogan whose tempos and energy were substantially less than what the video would have us all believe.

I have an incredible recording called "Leonid Kogan In Concert" featuring him playing some of the warhorses of the violin repertoire with orchestra. That is Kogan at his best, and he shows the fire and energy that made him one of the best of all time.

In the Sarasate "Romanza Andalucia", Kogan hits an E-string A that I consider the single most electrifying violin note I've ever heard in concert or recording!

August 28, 2006 at 04:29 PM · Kevin: It's "Romanza Andaluza", not Andalucía.

Andalucía is a region at south Spain. Andaluza

means originate from or relative with Andalucía.

You can say "romanza a Andalucía". meaning a piece

dedicated to or on homage to Andalucía.

August 29, 2006 at 05:43 PM · Kevin, I disagree with you about your appreciation from Romanza Andaluza´s performance by Kogan. It´s technically perfect, but rude in expression (for me, Kogan made better recordings from other works by Sarasate). I prefer other recordings for this work (Ferras, or Prihoda, for example).

August 29, 2006 at 05:54 PM · I stand corrected.

Thank you, Carlos and Manuel.

August 29, 2006 at 07:47 PM · I prefer Ricci's, Perlman's or Renardy's

August 30, 2006 at 09:21 PM · Brilliant classics have just issued a 10 cds box of Kogan's recordings, both from concert recordings and melodiya studio. There's also a 4Cds EMI boxed set featuring most of the concertos he recorded in England and France in the 50ies, both are very affordable.

August 30, 2006 at 10:26 PM · I have this 10 CD set dedicated to Kogan. It´s fantastic! In his youth, Kogan´s idol was Heifetz, and it can be proved by listening his first recordings. For example, Kogan performs Grieg´s 3rd Sonata "alla Heifetz". He plays also Bach´s D minor Partita (orchestrated by Denisov!), and Cesar Franck´s Sonata (with orchestral accompaniment!!), among other unique performances.

November 6, 2007 at 07:33 AM · I once watched a video of kogan.. he looks like theres a piece of poop on the stage because he has this look on his face like hes not smelling something nice... LOL.. that was off topic. sorry

its funny tho..

November 6, 2007 at 05:23 PM · Wasn't there a rumour about Kogan that he was assassinated?

November 6, 2007 at 07:29 PM · I believe the rumor is that Kogan was assassinated by the KGB because he planned to defect. Who knows if it true? It is hard to prove such a thing.

Afterall, it is just a rumor. Let's get back to talking about his phenomenal playing.

December 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM ·

It's a shame that his recordings from Arlecchino have been discountinued... Can someone please upload them onto Youtube please (especially Bruch violin concerto, Strauss violin sonata, Bach unaccompanied sonatas etc.)

December 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM ·

I heard Leonid Kogan live in Chicago in his first concert (a recital in Chicago's Orchestra Hall) tour of the U.S. when he first burst on the scene here in the 1950"s. He played, among other things, the Bach C Major solo sonata, Caprice Basque, and a few other pieces which (to my regret) I don't remember. But the performances of the Bach and the Sarasate are etched in my auditory and visual memory.

The Bach was played in a very romantic style, and he somehow played the massive chords in the Fugue legato. It was smooth as ice, and astonishing. And you heard every inner voice as a separate voice. His tone was not to be believed - better than on any of his recordings. The Caprice Basque ranks as the greatest performance I have ever heard by anybody, live or in recordings.

Afterwards, I was with a group of people waiting in line in the green room backstage to get his autograph. He was thin and short, and he looked a little nervous. Maybe one reason was that there were two giant guards (whom I took to be Russian) in cheap suits standing next to him, eyeing carefully everyone who came in. Nevertheless, he signed my program and gave me a warm smile. The program is long gone, but the memory remains forever.

Sandy

December 11, 2008 at 09:28 PM ·

A few recordings came out since 2006.

Deutsche grammophon has issued a selection of trios with Kogan,Gillels and Rostropovitch(2cds).

Doremi has issued the complete trio recordings (5cds) of these three artists, also a live recording of th Brahms concerto with Monteux conducting the Boston S.O.( www.doremi.com) The trios are carefully remastered, whereas the Arlecchino cds have a very poor sound quality, and the recordings dates are often not correct.

December 13, 2008 at 11:25 PM ·

Leonid Kogan... a name that goes hand in hand with mastery of violin .

December 14, 2008 at 11:19 AM ·

Does anyone know what happend to the company Arlecchino that used to publish the Leonid Kogan Legacy set? Hopefully someone will remaster and publish all Kogan's recording in the near future...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe