Ivan Dunov Eastman Violin

August 23, 2006 at 04:30 PM · I'm looking for an intermediate violin and I am considering the following two models from Eastman Strings, the Ivan Dunov 402 Superior violin and the Eastman 305. The Dunov is manufactured in Romania and the 305 is from China. This will be a internet purchase, since my local shop is unfortunately, too expensive. So, I won't be trying it out first. Worst case, there is return period. Anyone have experience with these particluar models? Thanks

Replies (1)

August 30, 2006 at 02:42 PM · I'm an Eastman dealer, so I'm well acquainted with both models of instruments. Although there can be a certain degree of "consistency" within a certain model, every violin is going to be an individual, and you have to judge each instrument for what it really is. Both can be good violins for the price, usually it's a matter of personal preference (provided both have a good set-up). Have a teacher or two (or some other experienced ear) give you their opinion and then make your own decision. It's usually best to support your local shop, even if they are "slightly" higher than what you can find on the internet. As you stated you can't try an internet violin before you buy it, and if you need service/adjustments then there's shipping costs and travel time involved (provided you send it to the person you bought it from). Then there's the possibility the violin can fall out of adjustment during shipping. If you were to take a violin you bought off the internet to your local shop for adjustment, they're going to charge you for it. Does the online dealer have a skilled technician, trade-in policy, or a warranty? All that trouble may not be worth an extra couple hundred dollars spent at your local shop. These are all things to consider when buying online.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe