Dvorak violin concerto

August 13, 2006 at 05:40 PM · So, which is your favourite recording of this concerto?..And why, of course!

Thanks,

Adela

Replies (42)

August 13, 2006 at 07:27 PM · Oistrakh. "Bohemian" performance to the core. Warm, exciting, big beautiful tone, that great Oistrakh "voice." His cushioned attack on notes (e.g., the main theme of the last movement) is like no one else's. His tone makes all others sound anemic by comparison. When he hits that high note the second time at the very beginning of the first movement, it is with an intensity unmatched by any single note ever recorded by anybody. That one note alone makes it worth having this recording in your collection.

Sandy

August 13, 2006 at 07:20 PM · Sander; totally agree with you.Much better that his

other version with Kondrashin.

My second favorite is Milstein-Dorati. Great recording!

August 13, 2006 at 08:01 PM · There is an excellent recording by Sergiu Luca and the St. Louis Symphony, I believe under Slatkin. Absolutely rhapsodic and stunning the whole way through.

Sander, is this Oistrakh w/ Karel Ancerl? I have the Kondrashin recording and am not terribly thrilled with it...

August 13, 2006 at 08:46 PM · I prefer the ethnic version done by Czech superstar Vasa Prihoda.

Prihoda's rendition is light, sprightly, and melodic.

August 13, 2006 at 10:04 PM · I think it's the Ancerl.

August 13, 2006 at 10:48 PM · Greetings,

Prihoda was amazing. After that, one of Milstein"s best.

Incidnetally, i think there is a big discussion of this in the archives,

Cheers,

Buri

August 13, 2006 at 10:58 PM · I own the version by Kyung Wha Chung, Perlman, and Tetzlaff... I think I prefer Perlman's version the most, but I'm still searching for my favourite.

August 14, 2006 at 09:13 PM · i like midori's and james ehnes' versions a lot but i haven't heard a definitive recording of the dvorak so far.

August 14, 2006 at 09:36 PM · Milstein's I liked the best. I haven't heard Oistrakh's yet. I have Milstein's, Vengerov's, and Chang's recordings.

Vengerov's was actually pretty good, other than some of this other recordings. The Dvorak was quite good. Chang's was bleh. I saw her in concert too, the Dvorak. Phrasing was horrendous and there was no feeling to it.

-Sam

August 15, 2006 at 12:05 AM · Vengerov's recording is excellent, although he and I have totally different concepts of the piece (which is not a common occurence, let me tell you!). Very sweet, lyrical and rather laid-back--I prefer the rhapsodic, passionate interpretation of Sergiu Luca. OK, so I'm a drama queen! :)

August 15, 2006 at 02:32 AM · Pavel Sporel's live recording with Ashkenzy is really good.Apart from that ,Ilya Kaer's version defintively deserves mention...then of course Oistrakh,Milstein,Prihoda,Chung..

AN

August 15, 2006 at 10:55 AM · Adela, you might like to hear the recording with Liviu Prunaru;-)Like it very much, also heard him playing it in Bruges.

I also heard Vengerov's recording, heard Kavakos life and Milstein's recording. Maybe it's because I'm used to Liviu's way of playing it, but I didn't like the others as much.

August 15, 2006 at 02:10 PM · Sarah, actually I didn't know he recorded it too.. but now I'll try to find it.

August 15, 2006 at 01:22 PM · I have Sarah Chang, Perlman, Kyung Wha Chung, Josef Suk, Milstein, Suwanai. Of these, I like Suwanai, Perlman & Suk.

I also have an LP of Edith Peinemann (old DG LP with the Czech PO under Peter Maag - released on CD by Australian Eloquence).

August 15, 2006 at 03:54 PM · I grew up on the Gimpel recording and continue to lve it fpor its great musicality

August 15, 2006 at 06:50 PM · i wonder, did szymon goldberg ever record this piece?

August 16, 2006 at 01:26 PM · Kaler has done a very good recording for Naxos. Stern's recording, paired with Rose's recording of the cello concerto is also very good.

September 6, 2006 at 12:41 AM · Yes!!! anisha netto is right! Pavel Sporcl is awsome. He is my hero.

September 6, 2006 at 12:57 AM · But don,t forget Johanna Martzy/Friczay. Splendid!

September 6, 2006 at 01:27 AM · Has anyone heard Shlomo Mintz' recording? It was one of his first recording projects (I think). I remember it as being quite fantastic and one of the definitive ones. Also, did Josef Suk ever record it? He really played Dvorak so well, in my opinion.

September 6, 2006 at 01:48 AM · There´s a live recording by Josef Suk at Salzburg Festival, undoubtelly one of my favourites. I like too Milstein, Martzy and Oistrach recordings. And I don´t forget to mention Prihoda (with Berliner Staatsoper conducted by van Kempen).

September 6, 2006 at 02:38 AM · I have two very different recordings for you..

Oistrakh and Milstein

The first, I love for his energy.

The second, for his tone.

September 6, 2006 at 03:36 AM · The most technically perfect concerto playing I've ever heard live was Erez Ofer playing the Dvorak Concerto with the Schenectady Symphony Orchestra.

I heard it on the radio in a taped broadcast. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, so clean was the technique. Musically, I'd have preferred a lighter and more singing touch. However, I was in total awe of Ofer's technical purity and that was good enough for me. No studio recording I've ever heard was as perfect as this live concert.

If Ofer ever came to perform in Phoenix, I'd be the first one there with a front row seat.

September 6, 2006 at 06:04 AM · Greetings,

I became interested in him as aplayer after hearing his very able teenage playing on the firts tape of the Gingold materclasses. I know he went on to lead the Philadelphia but I am surprised not to have seen more of his career.....

Bit of a google got me:

In 1989 Erez Ofer won the silver medal at the Queen Elizabeth Competition in Belgium and the gold medal at the Zino Francescatti Competition, in 1993 he won the ARD competition in Munich and then played in the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orhestra, the leader of which was maestro Lorin Maazel. 1995–1998 Ofer was the leader of the Philadelphia Orchestra, in 1999–2002 he was a member of the Amernet String Quartet, as of 2001 he is the leader of the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra. Ofer plays D. Montagnana violin dating from 1729.

Cheers,

Buri

September 6, 2006 at 07:24 AM · I prefer the Oistrakh recordings to Milstein's, though the latter is technically very good.

David Lillis

September 6, 2006 at 07:36 AM · I think that all recordings of the Dvorak should be BURNED!!! It's a terrible concerto.

September 6, 2006 at 01:41 PM · Excuse me? What makes you say that?

September 6, 2006 at 01:58 PM · Dvorak´s Concerto, terrible? Yes, it´s large and very difficult, specially 3rd movement.

But Dvorak´s Concerto is too one of most valuable Romantic Concertos, and I LIKE IT SO MUCH!

September 6, 2006 at 02:13 PM · Isabelle Faust was chosen as top choice in BBC Mag. Any comments on this one?

September 6, 2006 at 02:25 PM · Dunno, haven't heard it. About the concerto itself though, a lot of people think it's badly written because of the somewhat odd, recitativo-like first movement. I can say from personal (and ongoing!) experience that it's very hard to interpret and make it make sense, but when somebody DOES do it right (which isn't me yet) it's stunning. And the 2nd and 3rd mvts, while a tad on the long side, are very well put-together and absolutely gorgeous. Just forget everything you ever learned about classical-era form and the piece takes on meaning of its own. Off to study the score now...:)

MG

September 6, 2006 at 05:58 PM · I am generally not a fan of the Romantic era or its concerti. However, I like the Dvorak a great deal, particularly done correctly (I do think the 3rd movement is a bit derivative, a sort of take-off on the 3rd movement of the Beethoven). However, I would never use the adjective "terrible" to describe a great concerto, even one I was not fond of.

September 7, 2006 at 01:42 AM · Dvorak is also a derivative of Mendelssohn & Bruch 1 with its joining 1st & 2nd mvts.

September 7, 2006 at 01:45 AM · Pshh--it's not a "derivative", it just has a similar structure. "Derivative" makes it sound like a cheap rip-off.

May 23, 2007 at 05:15 PM · I like this concerto so much.

I have David Oistrakh, Sarah Chang, Kyung Wha Chung, Milstein, Suwanai, Salvadore's records. Waiting for Midori's verson arrive... I will hunt down more for sure...

I like David Oistrakh's version the best so far, the only downside is the record itself is not clean... The next one I love is Suwanai's, except I think her sound is too bright for my taste... Sarah Chang's version is pretty good as well.

May 23, 2007 at 06:59 PM · perlman and oistrakh were my faves

chung was good but not as good

kaler is worth having

milstein was too clean for me not enough emotion for me but very well played and musical

loved the mintz, totally gorgeous but 3rd movement is a little slow, but well worth having and hard to find

vengerov was good i liked it but the 3rd movement was a little slow also

havent heard ehnes yet i want it - id like to have prihoda too he was really something - would like to have the suk recording too

May 23, 2007 at 08:19 PM · I generally avoid older recordings because of the sound quality, but I got Oistrakh's for my birthday recently and LOVE it. I like it quite a bit (and am working on it) in general, but since discovering his version I'm like an addict---I can't stop listening to it! I'd be hard-pressed to explain why, but there's something about it that is just so wonderful that I haven't heard in others' performances.

May 24, 2007 at 09:58 AM · Someone asked about the Shlomo Mintz recording? It is beautiful of course (coupled with the Sibelius on DG) but 3rd movement quite a bit slower than other recordings I've heard. I actually had the good fortune to be playing in an orchestra with Shlomo Mintz playing the Dvorak. He brought the house down with it of course and then procceeded to play 4 or 5 of the Paganini caprices as encores until the crowd eventually let him go home!

May 24, 2007 at 09:04 PM · I'm surprised nobody suggested Pamela Frank....

May 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM · Anybody like the Erica Morrini recording besides me? Probably not. I think she plays it quite well, though.

July 2, 2015 at 09:26 PM · My preference goes to Sarah Chang. Warmth, passion, incredible technique, she and Itzhak Perlman have similar genius in the interpretation.

July 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM · Suk. The red blood of an Oistrakh plus the radiant tone of a Grumiaux.

July 5, 2015 at 06:46 AM · Another vote for Josef Suk. He made at least 2 studio recordings. The one I know is the earlier one with Karel Ancerl. Unfortunately the sound is not great, although it captures Suk well enough. I prefer it to Oistrakh/Kondrashin - I found Oistrakh surprisingly awkward in some places, where Suk seems to have less trouble with the notes (this is from somewhat distant memory....).

There's a performance on Youtube by Hilary Hahn which I think I prefer to any other I've heard - slightly quicker than usual so the music flows more naturally and the occasional longeurs don't seem quite as long.

I notice varied opinions about the concerto itself - I've never been able to make up my mind about it. I think Hahn's performance comes closest to convincing me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe