Double stops

August 10, 2006 at 06:59 AM · Does anyone know of a good double stop book??

Replies (34)

August 10, 2006 at 07:13 AM · Galamian

August 10, 2006 at 07:37 AM · RL Polo - 30 Double Stop Studies - I think it is published by Ricordi.

August 10, 2006 at 07:46 AM · Melodious Double Stops. By Trott.

August 10, 2006 at 08:16 AM · Sevcik opus9:praparatory studies in double stopping in thirds sixths,octaves and tenths and after that it is sevcik opus.1, no.4 exercises in double stopping triple stopping quadruple stopping, pizzicato,flageolet,harmonics.

August 10, 2006 at 11:11 AM · I second Trott's Melodious Double Stops. Hoffman also has a good book on double stops.

Yeou-Cheng

www.childrensorch.org

August 10, 2006 at 02:55 PM · Sevcik, Sevcik, Sevcik and more Sevcik. It makes you want to smash your fiddle on the floor but it does wonders for your technique.

August 10, 2006 at 03:10 PM · Kourguov excercises!

August 10, 2006 at 04:57 PM · I find the following to be very helpful

Great Study

August 10, 2006 at 05:19 PM · Good God, Jonathan, where are you finding all this stuff?! That looks almost as bad as the Ecole Moderne.

August 10, 2006 at 05:23 PM · I agree with the Trott.. My daughter uses it and it is very melodious.

August 10, 2006 at 05:44 PM · Growing up I thought the Trott studies were pretty boring...check out the Whistler book

August 10, 2006 at 07:48 PM · I find the following to be a great little finger twister

Great Piece

August 10, 2006 at 07:59 PM · Maura:

Jonathan's Allegro furioso...:-(

Haj

August 11, 2006 at 02:57 PM · Here's a great study...in all seriousness. Pieces like this make practice time fun :-)

Page One

Page Two

August 11, 2006 at 03:59 PM · Thanks, Maura. I'm working on the Sevcik now and want to be prepared for any fiddle-smashing impulses so I can (hopefully!) resist them! Knowing it'll pay off should help.

August 11, 2006 at 04:10 PM · Thanks Jonathan!!!

August 11, 2006 at 06:53 PM · Thanks Jon!

Saint-Lubin is always fun, but Henley is murderous :)

August 11, 2006 at 06:59 PM · As somebody at ENCORE said last year..."Sevcik is like broccoli. It makes you feel kind of sick, but it's really good for you."

Speaking of finger-twisters, Dounis is also great. It's like Sevcik on steroids.

August 11, 2006 at 07:40 PM · Check this out Matt...Henley's edit of the third variation.

Wowzers

August 11, 2006 at 08:03 PM · Ouch!

August 12, 2006 at 04:36 AM · Jonathan is a sadist, and I love broccoli.

August 12, 2006 at 06:48 AM · mmmm broccoli...great with brown rice and low sodium soy sauce :-) Although I would compare Sevcik double stop studies to a visit to the Proctologist hehe.

Although I do love his Bohemian Dances that he dedicated to his little student Kubelik! I would compare the Bohemian dances to a Sunday at a Catholic church...all depending on the amount of wine consumed

August 12, 2006 at 07:01 AM · Greetings,

>Although I would compare Sevcik double stop studies to a visit to the Proctologist hehe.

Johnathan takes the glove (s) off...

Cheers,

Buri

August 12, 2006 at 06:59 AM · Jon - I like the fingering, but there are only three notes that differs from the original? (added octaves at the end of each reprise, and the harmonic at the 4'th bar from end that I wounder if not Ernst originally intended)

August 12, 2006 at 07:09 AM · Good "catch" Stephen.

The main difference between Henley and all the recorded and currently published editions are the down bows. For a variation such as this most would be afraid of the "click" associated with such a rough repeated stroke. I haven't seen the manuscript in many years, I'd have to get back to you on any of the other changes :-)~

August 12, 2006 at 07:33 AM · Oops... I missed the bowing :)

I like the downbow part, but it is haaard to make it sing in that tempo so I understand why alternative bowings are preferable for the mainstream violinist :)

August 14, 2006 at 09:36 PM · mmm...my first double-stop song was Finlandia...and I'm still working on intonation on that song five years later, going on six!

I find fiddle tunes are more fiddler-friendly than violin solos. Also, I've gotten into the habit in the last few years of playing the soprano/alto or alto/tenor lines in the piano books as double-stop. Most of what I did in jazz band this year was from a piano part, and I usually played the alto and tenor lines double-stop...then I'd go berserk on my solo if I tried a double-stop one...I'm not quite as good at improvving double-stops...so I've doubly stopped doing that!

October 17, 2006 at 09:01 PM · I was browsing around in a violin shop today and came across the Trott "Melodious Double Stops" Book, which I bought on impulse because it looked quite good. Of course, I immediately came back here to search on it and I'm glad to see it so highly recommended. The shop only carried Book II, however; it seems to be the right level for me, but could someone describe for me what's in Book I? Is it worth ordering from Shar?

October 17, 2006 at 10:49 PM · Greetings,

I don`t think you need book one. You could certainly use it with your students beginning double stopping. If oyu wnat another very good book from Shar then try the Polo book. It starts easy and gets tricky very fast.

You miht also consider the book by Ricci on left hand tehcnique , also form Shar

Cheers,

Buri

October 18, 2006 at 12:25 AM · Try "Melodious Double Stops" by Josephine Trott!

Daniel

October 18, 2006 at 01:14 AM · as opposed to melodius double stops by `having the trots`

October 18, 2006 at 02:38 AM · Definitely the Polo. it turned my playing around reasonably fast. Intonation is much better, fingers are loose and flexible, and the hand is now in the proper position for most efficient and accurate use.

Go for it.

October 18, 2006 at 04:20 AM · Thanks, Buri and Ray. The Ricci book looks like it's too hard for me right now, but I'll definitely consider the Polo.

October 31, 2006 at 01:03 PM · Dounis

Sevcik

Flesch + rostal extensions

Done and done

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe