Fender fv3 electric violin

August 8, 2006 at 06:28 PM · I have a fender fv 3 violin. I just recieved it. I like the violin but it's verry slippery, the bow sometimes slip off the strings while i'm playing, mostly when i'm really in the groove. It's annoying. If that would happen in the middle of a performance i would look really stupid. I'm only a beginner and i would like to hear if anyone else has got the fender fv3, and what you think of the violins sound and stuff. is there anything i can do to prevent the bow from slipping? They say it's a bluegrass violin allowing you to play chords more easily but after i started playing the fender i've had some trouble with my acustic one, for example when i play on the A string i hit the D string with the bow. The two violins are so different from one another that when i have played the electric for a while i can't play the acoustic one properly and the other way around. Weird.

Replies (10)

August 8, 2006 at 08:33 PM · Sean Makin the violinist in Yellowcard has that violin.

August 9, 2006 at 08:31 PM · i saw some videos of yellowcard and he played the fender fv1.. but i guess it's practicly the same violin, only the fv3 is the deluxe version.

August 12, 2006 at 02:37 PM · Are you using rosin enough on the bow? Or you may want to try better quality or stickier(dark) rosin.

Toni, just wanted to note, Sean Makin of Yellow Card doesn't play Fender, he uses Zeta. The Zeta Strados and Jazz "Modern" body. Although, they do resemble the Fender to some degree.

EDIT: I started searching for images to post in this thread of Mackin playing his Zeta(s), and came across a couple where he actually was playing on a Fender. I stand corrected. He does use the Zeta the majority of the time.

August 13, 2006 at 06:00 PM · well actually the rosin that came along smelled like plastic and didn't seem to be good quality at all. Otherwise i use the pirastro rosin. maybe i should rub in some of that instead.

November 16, 2011 at 03:25 AM · I have played the fender FV3 for several years. I have played many electric violins, all are thin and lack the depth of tone you get from a good quality wooden violin, BUT this is the best. ELECTRIC, semi hollow maple with spruce top. it still sounds like a wooden violin, with the bite needed to play with piano, brass, and drums. Please don't sell it short. the FENDER FV3 is the best Electric Violin. of course this is my opinion, I LOVE my FV3 Fender...

November 16, 2011 at 04:07 AM · I got back into acoustic the past 2 years from playing a barcus berry, a Yamaha sv and a Zeta for about 3 years previous. I realized that unless I got back into practicing on an acoustic, I was going to lose the ability to play one. Almost like 2 different instruments imho.

There is a new digital eletric violin coming out from Weinreich Labs, not yet in production. Two of the voice samplings are from the Vieuxtempts Guarneri del Gesu 1741 & the Plowden Guarneri 1734. The sound bites sound very good. I believe you can put your name on a mailing list for when they come out. They look to be very well crafted and rumored to be starting around 7k.

February 7, 2014 at 08:05 AM · I recently acquired an FV-3 and I'm quite relieved to find some discussion on it! I'd have to agree with Richard, the semi-hollow sound kicks the pants off the other electrics I've tried out. My main problem is that the shoulder rest slips out. When I got the instrument, it seemed to lock in place magnetically, but since then I've had to hold it carefully in order to pick it up and put it down. Anyone else have this problem?

February 7, 2014 at 04:48 PM · Many electric violins have one really great thing going for them: no matter how you bow, it sounds okay. They're very forgiving of technical flaws. That's the reason why as a beginner, if you switch back to your regular old acoustic violin, you might have trouble creating a decent sound.

Also, setup quality varies wildly on electrics, depending where you purchase them from. Experienced luthiers can set them up so that they feel indistinguishable from good acoustic setups...in other places I've seen bridge cutting so poor it was practically impossible to play single strings.

February 7, 2014 at 07:17 PM · I dont mean to derail this OLD tread but if your still there sarah, hows the violin? did you ever find anything that works for you?

July 13, 2016 at 08:58 AM · Been playing the FV3 for 3 years now, and it's pretty decent value for money. I've done a short video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JK4254blIA&feature=youtu.be

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe