Favorite VIOLIN DUETS?

August 3, 2006 at 04:40 PM · What out of any, are you favorite Violin Duets?

Replies (42)

August 3, 2006 at 05:39 PM · From: SKOWRONSKI: CLASSICAL RECORDINGS

Dear Alex:

According to Mr. Skowronski, there are a few duets that he favors --by virtue of performances with either his students and/or colleagues: namely, the Three Duos Concertants for Two Solo Violins by Charles de Beriot, Op. 57; the Duets for Two Solo Violins (Book I-Op. 29, Three Duets and Book II-Op. 20, Six Duets) by J.B. Viotti; Six Canonic Sonatas for Two Solo Violins by Georg Phillipp Telemann; and, without a doubt, the powerful and demanding Suite in G Minor for Two Violins and Piano, Op. 71 by Maurice Moszkowski.

Try these on for size as we wish you Bona Fortuna and good "Dueting!"

Sincerely,

Skowronski: Classical Recordings

www.skowronskiplays.com

August 5, 2006 at 11:48 AM · bartok 44 duos

vivaldi double concerti

telemann 6 canonic sonatas

August 5, 2006 at 12:31 PM · No discussion of violin duets is complete without mention of the Bach Double Violin Concerto.

And as far as showstoppers go, there's one that sticks out in my mind: Sarasate's "Navarra".

Let me offer a cool but not well known work: Milhaud's Duet for 2 violins. The thematic material is not always easily graspable, but the chords are outrageously cool especially in the 2nd movement.

August 5, 2006 at 04:21 PM · Have you heard the Oistrakhs playing Wieniawski 3 etude caprices opus 18? Fantastic stuff.

August 5, 2006 at 06:36 PM · From: SKOWRONSKI: CLASSICAL RECORDINGS

Dear Kevin Huang:

We welcome your suggestion pertinent to the "cool but not well known work" by Darius Milhaud, his DUO for Two Solo Violins (1945) which, incidentally, Milhaud dedicated to Messrs. Yehudi Menuhin and Roman Totenberg -- a curious combination of recipients, don't you think? This work IS "cool" and subsequently has been resuscitated and recorded by Mr. Skowronski. It will appear on his new CD, Avec et Sans, Vol.II, in tandem with another equally "cool" work for Two Solo Violins, Arthur Honegger's SONATINE (1920), dedicated -no less- to Darius Milhaud.

A similarly tantalizing work by Mr. Milhaud, although written for violin and PIANO, is his programmatic Les Printemps. The 5/8 meter throughout and timely, prickly harmonies are quite exhilarating. This mixture makes Les Printemps a deliciously fragrant and unexpected 'gem' of an encore piece. Violinists everywhere should definitely investigate this marvelous little opus. For a sample, try WWW.CDBABY.COM/SKOWRONSKI1

Good fiddling and best regards to all.

August 5, 2006 at 11:42 PM · Thanks, Mr. Skowronski.

Yeah, "Le Printemps" is very nice. Gidon Kremer recorded it very well on an album with Milhaud's "Le Boeuf Sur Le Toit".

August 6, 2006 at 12:15 AM · Don't forget Ysaye's, Prokofieff's and Leclaire 2 violins sonatas,and Spohr duos

August 7, 2006 at 04:31 PM · Does anybody know how to get the music for:

Jean-Delphin Alard

Duos for 2 Violins, Op. 27: no 3

Ilya Gringolts recorded the piece, but it seems impossible to find it!! Great duo!!!!!!

August 7, 2006 at 04:50 PM · It was noted in an earlier post in passing, but I want to give a special mention to the Prokofieff Sonata for 2 violins, Op. 56. A dynamite work, especially the last movement, and especially the last page of the last movement! (a true test of counting ability). Treat yourself to a listen if you've never heard it.

Among the many Vivaldi double concerti, this is a true solo duet (short but inspired) at the start of the D Minor Concerto (I know only by opus number, Op. 3 #10, I think).

August 7, 2006 at 08:51 PM · From: SKOWRONSKI: CLASSICAL RECORDINGS

Mr. Godrey:

You bet....the entire Prokofieff Sonata for Two Solo Violins is DY-NO-MITE! I played it many years ago with a colleague, and it was and still is a "test for the best!" For a recording of it, the way to go is definitely with Father and Son Oistrakh.....if you can find it!!

Pity,.....the work is very rarely performed. Of course, you need a Babe Ruth and a Lou Gehrig to pull it off.

Best,

August 7, 2006 at 08:51 PM · From: SKOWRONSKI: CLASSICAL RECORDINGS

Mr. Godrey:

You bet....the entire Prokofieff Sonata for Two Violins is DY-NO-MITE! I played it many years ago with a colleague, and it was and still is a "test for the best!" For a recording of it, the way to go is definitely with Father and Son Oistrakh.....if you can find it!!

Pity,.....the work is very rarely performed. Of course, you need a Babe Ruth and a Lou Gehrig to pull it off.

Best,

August 8, 2006 at 03:18 AM · For two violins alone I find the Cazza Ladra Duos of de Beriot interesting...as well I enjoy very much all of his duos Concertantes, most popular being the op.57. Of course the op.113 Spanish Airs of de Beriot are also worth a run thru ;-) Might check out the many opi of Spohr, Fiorillo wrote some great duos...Mazas wrote some very difficult and very easy duos, Alard (as mentioned) wrote many duos, Dancla wrote many...Jansa, Kalliwoda...etc.

But this is a thread of favorites...my favortie of all I have seen to date is the third duo from the op.57 of de Beriot.

Vivaldi wrote some dandy concertos.

August 8, 2006 at 04:33 AM · The Bartok 44, hands down. Although I just bought myself a copy of the Wieniawski 2-violin caprices, so we shall see...

August 8, 2006 at 05:15 AM · This may sound silly, but I really like Suzuki Book 1!

I never bought or even seen the 2nd violin part, but I make up my own harmonies when I'm playing that stuff with others.

For example, "Twinkle" goes like this:

C# A C# A D A C# A

B E A F# D E C# A

C# A B E A E G# E

C# A B E A E G# E

C# A C# A D A C# A

B E A F# D E C# A

(dang. I keep have to editing this to get the notes right, though my "mistakes" were technically in the right key).

August 8, 2006 at 05:02 AM · Yeah. I have fond memories of being one of only a handful of advanced students in Tulsa, standing in the back row at the annual Suzuki-group recitals, improvising strange third-violin parts to relieve boredom. Once I played a piece sul G, and then noticed with some dismay that I had started a chain reaction of little kids trying to do exactly the same thing. :)

September 1, 2006 at 01:50 PM · There are some great Haydn duos also.

September 1, 2006 at 03:49 PM · I'm a big fan of the Prokofieff Sonata for two violins and the Bartok duets.

There are so many more things out there though too! Bach, Leclair, Sarasate, Haydn, Telemann....etc.

September 1, 2006 at 11:47 PM · Rosza wrote a substantial duo for 2 violins. I found a copy on ebay.

Patricia Baser

September 1, 2006 at 11:47 PM · Rosza wrote a substantial duo for 2 violins. I found a copy on ebay.

Patricia Baser

September 2, 2006 at 02:24 AM · These may be out of print (I have a very old copy that I found in a used bookstore years ago), but the duos for 2 violins by

LAVAGNINO are truly outstanding. If you can find them, you will NOT be disappointed. Check it out!

-Peter

September 2, 2006 at 02:27 AM · Well, I sparked my own interest with this thread . . .

I googled Lavagnino and here's what he is known for:

Angelo Francesco Lavagnino

Born: 22 February 1909, Genoa, Italy. Died: 21 August 1987.

Background: Prolific composer of music for Italian cinema, a contemporary of Nino Rota and Mario Nascimbene. Studied at Milan's Giuseppe Verdi Conservatory of Music, and began his career as a serious classical composer, writing symphonies, operas, symphonic poems, and chamber music. However, a love of the cinema that began in childhood soon led him into the world of film. Made his debut in 1948, and by the time he retired from film composing in the mid-1970s, he had scored over 300 films, although very few of them were for non-Italian productions. As much a scholar as he was a composer, Lavagnino taught at the Accademia Musicale Chigiana in Siena from 1941 until 1963, wrote a novel about pirates, and was a skilled photographer. He died in 1987, aged 78.

Highlight Scores: The Tragedy of Othello, Continente Perduto, Notre Dame de Paris, Vertigine Bianca, Legend of the Lost, The Last Days Of Pompeii, Conspiracy of Hearts, Five Branded Women, Gorgo, Il Colosso di Rodi, Campanadas a Medianoche.

It would appear that he is a bit of a KORNGOLDian composer (known for film scores, but a fine "classical" composer)

I'll keep looking for an in-print version of his Violin Duos.

-PW

June 18, 2007 at 02:14 AM · Bach's Double Concerto Mvt. 1 is absolutely AMAZING! I play the second violin part, and I'm having trouble finding a first violinist to play with. The second violin part is pretty cool in itself, but a duo sounds amazing.

Dean

June 18, 2007 at 04:46 AM · Haha, Maura, I remember my Suzuki Book 1 graduation recital. Indeed, there were a few advanced students standing in the back playing some strange things. I think I got mad because I kept getting lost, so I told my teacher. She laughed. :[

Anyway, favorite duets? I'm suprised no one has mentioned Mozart's 12 Duets, Op. 70.

June 18, 2007 at 07:37 AM · Hi,

I particularly enjoy the duets arranged and/or composed by my violin teacher. They include Klezmer, East European, Spanish and other traditionals as well as compositions of his own.

They are musically very rewarding and range from easy to technically demanding. Since I had the pleasure of watching them grow (or rather playing them while they developed) it is a particular joy to experience the final results.

Have a look at Musikverlag Martin Keller.

Greetings, Jürgen

June 18, 2007 at 11:07 AM · Luciano Berio wrote a wonderful set of violin duets. Counting poses some challenges but they're otherwise not too difficult. Like Bartok's duets, they were written for pedagogical purposes. Each duet is named for an individual (friends, acquaintances or just musical icons--one is called "Bela"). Ilya Gringolts recorded them when he was quite young along with another young violinist. It's a splendid recording!

June 18, 2007 at 01:37 PM · - the Leclair sonatas for 2 violins

- the 4th of the 6 Haydn duets

June 18, 2007 at 02:14 PM · Absolutely the Duets by Luciano Berio each of which was dedicated to one of his friends like Edoardo Sanguinetti, Piero Farulli, etc...They are awsome!

Some of them are very difficult, other are of a medium level and other very easy and also little children can play them.

Bye

June 18, 2007 at 03:53 PM · Prokofiev's Sonata for Two Violins is wonderful, you might like Schnittke's "Moz-Art" with its funny quotations from various Mozart works, Ysaye wrote a sonata for Two Violins (extremely difficult, though).

June 18, 2007 at 04:20 PM · "Cat Scratch" by A. Igudesman.

Great fun, and you get a cd, with Igudesman himself playing, so you can play along with either part.

June 20, 2007 at 06:13 PM · Just to bring us semi-up-to-date from the first posting on this subject of 8/3/2006---

The Sonatas for TWO SOLO VIOLINS by Arthur Honegger and Darius Milhaud, respectively, are available from Skowronski: Classical Recordings.

These two Sonatas are much overlooked if not almost totally ignored by today's violinists, yet they are exemplary works from the Neo-Classical period.

For those interested, listen to clips at

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/skowronski5

Here is a wonderful opportunity to explore........Carpe diem!

http://www.skowronskiplays.com

June 21, 2007 at 05:08 PM · What are your favorites from the Bartok violin duos? (I have Maura's vote for #44...) Clare Chu and I---we met on Violinist.com before we discovered that we live only 5 miles away from each other---are going to play some of them, so I'm looking for suggestions.

June 21, 2007 at 07:38 PM · Truly the best set of violin duets (with no accompaniment) that I have ever found are by LAVAGNINO. This guy was known as a film composer, but this set that I have are tremendous, fun to play, and fun to hear.

-Peter

June 22, 2007 at 08:20 AM · Peter .... what level are the Lavignino duets? I guess, in theory, it should be easier to find them in Italy ...so far I'm not having much luck Googling for them....

June 22, 2007 at 11:36 AM · My favourite in terms of sheer fun is one by Mazas -- that is, if my memory isn't going wrong; it might be Boccherini as well. I played it over and over when busking with a school mate about twenty years ago. It sounded a lot like a Rossini overture, with a smashing stretto in the end of exposition resp. recapitulation.

Perhap someone knows the piece and could help me. The first bars (Allegro, 4/4 time) go like this:

1st violin -- dotted half note d', quarter note g' / quarter note b', half note b', quarter note d'' / quarter note e'.

2nd violin -- alternating spiccato quavers b-g for bar 1, d'-g for bar 2, c'-g for bar 3.

Does anyone know this long sought-after piece?

Best,

Friedrich

June 22, 2007 at 11:52 AM · To Karin:

>What are your favorites from the Bartok violin duos? (I have Maura's vote for #44...) Clare Chu and I---we met on Violinist.com before we discovered that we live only 5 miles away from each other---are going to play some of them, so I'm looking for suggestions.

# 32, of course!

Or should I rather say # 35 ... ?

Best,

Friedrich

June 22, 2007 at 08:21 PM · Dueling Banjos.

Check out the United States Air Force Strings' album Collage.

June 23, 2007 at 02:36 AM · Gidon Kremer recorded six of Leopold Mozart's twelve duets with Tatjana Grindenko. (It's on their recording of the W. Mozart Concertone.) These L. Mozart duets are fun to play and make excellant encores.

June 23, 2007 at 05:23 PM · I have a related question. Done anyone know where I could find a recording of the Ysaye sonata for two solo violins? If anyone has heard it, its amazing, just hard to find apparently...

June 23, 2007 at 05:56 PM · From: Skowronski: Classical Recordings

To: Valerie Gordon

Dear Valerie:

Contact us at

skowronskirecordings@ameritech.net

Perhaps we may be of assistance.

S:CR -- Evanston, IL

November 4, 2015 at 11:57 PM · Charles-Auguste de BĂ©riot

3 Duos Concertants for 2 violins op.57

Jean Delphin Alard

Duos Brillants op.27

Sonata Intimus for 2 violins (the only Yugoslav sonata for 2 violins)

November 5, 2015 at 12:32 AM · wieniawski caprice op 18, I like playing Violin II parts.

Just kidding, Bach concerto in D double violin 2nd movement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo0K_n3VLG4

November 5, 2015 at 03:22 AM · Add:

Purcell, Golden Sonata

Handel, G minor (I think)

Bach, Violin and Oboe Double Concerto

Rossini, Duet for Two Cats (read directly off vocal parts)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe