Information about a French violin maker

July 24, 2006 at 10:16 PM · Hello everyone, I'm looking at a violin by a maker named Mermillot, made in 1891. I am currently having a bit of trouble finding out information about him. The information won't influence my decision over the instrument, I'm just curious to know more about him.

Replies (7)

July 25, 2006 at 03:40 PM · According to Henly, Universal Dictionary of Violin and Bow Makers: "Maurice Mermillot. Born in Haute-Savoie (france). Pupil of Gaillard and J. B. Vuillaume. Went to Piedmont on military service. Worked for Guadagnini at Turin. Established at Paris, 1876. Died at Mirecourt, 1901. Well conceived and sensibly executed outline. Flawlessly worked sound-holes. Scroll of splendid design. Tone falls rather short of the usual French standard. Handsome wood, and liberally supplied."

July 25, 2006 at 09:49 PM · Thank you so much Professor Berg! Does anyone know the going rate for his violins now?

July 26, 2006 at 12:23 AM · I do not have a clue about the going rate for this maker, since I am not a dealer and know nothing about condition. I could make a wild guess that it is $22,000. How close am I?

July 26, 2006 at 12:34 AM · I'll say $22,001, Bob.

July 26, 2006 at 01:41 AM · I've seen a few Mermillots. They've all been very nice, carefully made, charming in a precise but non-French way (that's a compliment), with a lot of good personality. I don't know why he's not better known, except maybe there aren't that many around. I'm thinking the price should be more like $30-35,000 these days, but it's been a while since I've seen one, so. . .

July 26, 2006 at 04:05 AM · Thank you so much for all your insight. I think I've fallen in love with this instrument and may end up getting it. But, I never know what may lie around the corner... ;)

July 26, 2006 at 05:27 AM · My general advice to people looking for an upgrade instrument is to buy from a reputable dealer who will take the instrument back in trade when you possibly upgrade, check condition of the instrument, then finally buy on tone quality. The first 2 conditions are the most important for possible resale. It sounds as if you have found your ideal instrument for now.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe