help - Sam Franko cadenza Mozart Vln Con. #5

July 24, 2006 at 10:15 PM · I'm looking at the Sam Franko cadenza for Mozart's Violin Concerto #5. Can someone please tell me how to play measure 33 and 39-40? Especially 39-40 I don't understand because the trill continues as the notes change. Do I just trill each top note? Any fingerings?

Replies (8)

July 25, 2006 at 02:48 PM · Wulfhorst has fingerings in the Barenreiter edition which I like. Measure 33/32: same fingering for all the chords--open E, first finger on the A string, third finger on the D string. They are all half steps, so the hand stays the same and just moves up and down the fingerboard. Measures 39-40/38-39: first double stop in third position, remaining notes to the end of the trills are in first position; third finger, then fourth finger, then third finger (top note), trills while the other notes are played. Hope that helps.

July 25, 2006 at 03:51 PM · Quick question: Is the Sam Franko cadenza the "standard" cadenza being played now for the Mozart #5? or is there more than one? I have an edition with a cadenza by Joachim; how does that one compare?

July 25, 2006 at 04:09 PM · Thanks for the advice. Sounds great! It just threw me that the trill was written as one long trill even though the notes changed. I like the open E thing in m 33 too.

December 5, 2007 at 07:38 AM · hi all !

Actualy i am working again on the Mozart 5 to prepare it for dma auditions. I love the Franko cadenza and i dont think its the one most played. Maybe there is such a tendency due to the nice Baerenreiter edition.

July 29, 2014 at 04:17 PM · I realize I'm resurrecting a VERY old post, but I need advice. I'm playing the Franko cadenza now for Mozart 5, and am wondering if this is a mistake for auditions. Should I be playing something more "standard" (Joachim)? Will playing the "wrong" cadenza get me cut from an audition? Or does it matter as long as it is played well?

July 29, 2014 at 05:44 PM · Nope. Long as you play it well then it's fine. Not too big a fan of it but a cadenza is all about showing off what you can do so you can't really go wrong with any versions, minus ya know...one that incorporates twinkle, twinkle little star...(yes I heard an audition that threw that in...)

July 29, 2014 at 09:05 PM · Wow, I feel a challenge coming on...

Do I get extra points if I somehow incorporate all of the Suzuki twinkle variations into the cadenza? ;)

July 30, 2014 at 01:42 PM · For the 1st movement, I use cadenzas by Nathan Milstein and 2nd and 3rd movt cadenzas by James Ehnes. Not a big fan of the Franko or Joachim cadenzas. Are they requiring to learn the Franco cadenzas?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe