Grad School Teachers?

July 19, 2006 at 04:08 AM · If you are familiar with Indiana University, Rice University or University of Michigan, could you reccommend teachers to look into for graduate study? I would also appreciate it if you could share what experience you had with any teachers you name and any details that you think might be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Replies (11)

July 19, 2006 at 05:06 AM · Indiana has a lot of great teachers, that goes without saying. Yohanaton Barrick teaches at Michigan, a few students at mcgill have studied with him, and they really liked him.

As for Rice, everyone seems to be very eager to be audition for Ms. Winkler. In fact, a girl in my studio at McGill is going there for her master's next year. Someone else from mcgill also started with Ms. Winkler last year too, and he apparently likes it a lot.

If I can recommend another option, consider Austin. Brian Lewis teaches there, and he has a pretty good studio. He's a great teacher, as an observer, I was very impressed with him last summer.

July 19, 2006 at 05:09 AM · At Rice I would recommend Kathleen Winkler.

Preston

July 19, 2006 at 05:19 AM · I've met Yehonitan Berrick and had friends who have studied with him and have attended masterclasses done by him and he's a really fun guy who has an amazing skill for teaching.

July 19, 2006 at 11:27 AM · I've had Brian Lewis (in Austin) for a few masterclasses and he is very good. Just a possibily that I would highly recommend.

Pieter, where did you see him teach?

PS - His mom is my teacher! ^_^

July 19, 2006 at 04:25 PM · Sydney,

in new york last summer.

July 19, 2006 at 08:50 PM · Ah, okay.

Quick change of subject - What is up with your facebook?

July 19, 2006 at 10:01 PM · You have a facebook???

July 19, 2006 at 10:21 PM · well... I do but I don't ever use it. It's great when you've literally become bankrupt of anything else to do, and resign yourself to a few moments of voyeurism that facebook seems to encourage.

July 20, 2006 at 02:30 AM · To go a bit against the flow, I'll recommend Sergiu Luca at Rice. He is one of the most intellectually interesting violinists alive, and possesses phenomenal technique. His students have had great successes, and say wonderful things about his teaching.

On very similar grounds, I would recommend Mark Kaplan at Indiana.

July 20, 2006 at 04:56 PM · Pieter, not all of us use it for that reason ;-) I find facebook helpful when uploading pics from vacation so that I don't have to send them to everyone.

Sorry, this is the last time I am hijacking this thread!

July 20, 2006 at 06:21 PM · Well I guess we're different. I picked an apartment 31 floors up with large windows just for the aformentioned reason. I'm asking Santa for a telescope next christmas.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe